Cos D'Estornel Buys Chateau Montelena

The funny thing about reading through that thread is the micro view that so many posters on that site have. Someone switching to a screwcap, or a famous but minor winery being purchased would not cause this kind of announcement by King Robert. In all seriousness I think that it is going to be the purchase of a marque French brand by one of the large conglomerates that have up to this point been focused on moving large quantities of juice, but ignoring quality. Something like V&S buying Haut Brion or Chapoutier, or the poster that mentioned a disgruntled employee peeing in a vat.

Big news from Robert Parker...

"I just got out of the hospital and it turns out, even though I never had any idea about my apparent physical oddity, that I have absolutely no tastebuds and have been confusing origin, price, and free hotel rooms with taste for all of these years! Can you believe it?"

Mr. Parker then announced that he was on his way to Trader Joe's for a couple of bottles of Two Buck Chuck, as, since he really hasn't been able to tell the difference for years, and now that he probably won't be able to run the same scam as everyone knows his secret, he'll need to watch his budget from now on. Just like almost everyone else on Earth.

Film at 11

"I just got out of the hospital and it turns out, even though I never had any idea about my apparent physical oddity, that I have absolutely no tastebuds and have been confusing origin, price, and free hotel rooms with taste for all of these years! Can you believe it?"

Mr. Parker then announced that he was on his way to Trader Joe's for a couple of bottles of Two Buck Chuck, as, since he really hasn't been able to tell the difference for years, and now that he probably won't be able to run the same scam as everyone knows his secret, he'll need to watch his budget from now on. Just like almost everyone else on Earth.

Film at 11

this is why so many take 'news' so sceptically. it tends to get discredited before it is even in the open, by the masses who think they know more than those reporting the facts. best part is, 'wine news' is more factual, and less capable of being manipulated in reporting, though more in its 'winemaking' than our day to day 'dose of facts on world updates'.

Film at 11

You call that big news? :lol:

How that is huge exciting news. I am not sure that I am going to be able to concetrate on my work for the rest of the day. :lol:

Agreed - absurd amount of puffery by such a prominent authority for something that seems relatively benign....

Agreed - absurd amount of puffery by such a prominent authority for something that seems relatively benign....

Agreed. A ridiculous amount of hype that I thought sure would involve something sweeping and region-wide, as opposed to one chateau buying another. Robert Parker never does stuff like this, so coming from him, the news is a letdown. It's a big story, yes, but it's not that big.

though it is not 'huge' news, it is still news, and goes back the the Paris tasting, and the fact that Montelena was a winner. It will give the chance for Cos d' to get rid of the TCA problem at Montelena, and relaunch a great producer. May give the jump start of producers to follow the 'once' Bordeaux finesse that so many lack now adays on our beautiful West Coast, not all, but some. :lol: