Dera, Pakistani in Springfield with Lunch Buffet, Kabobs, Biryanis, and Karahis

Tried Dera Restaurant today after a previous visit earlier in the week to Thai Ghang Waan which I liked albiet I don't know if it was a clear first in the DMV. Nevertheless, I digress, the mall Thai is in is mostly South Asian and boy is it huge. Out of all the strip malls I've visited this is one of the biggest conflagrations. I knew I had to come back and do more work on some of these restos which I finally got to tonight! I went to Dera Restaurant as I had previously read about it and it seems to be the most "renowned" of the Pakistani fare at this mall. It's a funny place as the dining room is cavernous but doesn't have quite enough tables. Next door they have a wedding hall party place kinda thing. Anyway, I had a nice meal here, not quite as good as Khan Kabob but still worth a visit as I expand my restaurant holdings (I'm at 120 as of now). I got the Chicken Karahi and the Beef Boti Kabob. Both were respectable indeed the kabobs were better then I thought they would be being nicely spiced with a good flavor. Usually I find ordering kabobs at a non dedicated kabob Pakistani restaurant isn't the best move as an aside. The Karahi was not the absolute best I've had but also a respectable attempt. I would recommend coming here especially if your in the area but if your not I would trek to Khan Kabob over Dera. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2016 at 11:24 PM, manolands said:

Tried Dera Restaurant today after a previous visit earlier in the week to Thai Ghang Waan which I liked albiet I don't know if it was a clear first in the DMV. Nevertheless, I digress, the mall Thai is in is mostly South Asian and boy is it huge. Out of all the strip malls I've visited this is one of the biggest conflagrations. I knew I had to come back and do more work on some of these restos which I finally got to tonight! I went to Dera Restaurant as I had previously read about it and it seems to be the most "renowned" of the Pakistani fare at this mall. It's a funny place as the dining room is cavernous but doesn't have quite enough tables. Next door they have a wedding hall party place kinda thing. Anyway, I had a nice meal here, not quite as good as Khan Kabob but still worth a visit as I expand my restaurant holdings (I'm at 120 as of now). I got the Chicken Karahi and the Beef Boti Kabob. Both were respectable indeed the kabobs were better then I thought they would be being nicely spiced with a good flavor. Usually I find ordering kabobs at a non dedicated kabob Pakistani restaurant isn't the best move as an aside. The Karahi was not the absolute best I've had but also a respectable attempt. I would recommend coming here especially if your in the area but if your not I would trek to Khan Kabob over Dera.

The mall you refer to is Brookfield Plaza, which was once a favorite of mine to roam around and have a progressive meal at multiple stops. I have never been impressed by Dera, but it has a following with large catered gatherings, family events, that sort of thing -- that explains the cavernous dining room.

The best of the kabobs in that plaza is probably Karahi Kabob, which has at one time was an outpost of Ravi Kabob and may be somewhat related. Trek there instead of Khan Kabob.

Thai Ghang Waan is easily the best Thai in that plaza, as well as in all of Springfield. Khang Chon is Springfield's best Korean option, but then, Annandale is only a few miles north.

Across Backlick, in the Backlick Plaza now dominated by Chick-fil-A, there was once Le Bledo Dalat Bakery, a pretty decent Vietnamese place for pho and banh mi. The Chick-fil-A drive-thru really messed up the traffic pattern and parking in that plaza, so Le Bledo closed. There was a brief rumor that it would relocate across the street into Brookfield Plaza, but now it looks like it will relocate to the area of Springfield on Brandon across from Total Wine.

40 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

...Le Bledo closed. There was a brief rumor that it would relocate across the street into Brookfield Plaza, but now it looks like it will relocate to the area of Springfield on Brandon across from Total Wine.

Any idea when?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

The mall you refer to is Brookfield Plaza, which was once a favorite of mine to roam around and have a progressive meal at multiple stops. I have never been impressed by Dera, but it has a following with large catered gatherings, family events, that sort of thing -- that explains the cavernous dining room.

The best of the kabobs in that plaza is probably Karahi Kabob, which has at one time was an outpost of Ravi Kabob and may be somewhat related. Trek there instead of Khan Kabob.

Thai Ghang Waan is easily the best Thai in that plaza, as well as in all of Springfield. Khang Chon is Springfield's best Korean option, but then, Annandale is only a few miles north.

Across Backlick, in the Backlick Plaza now dominated by Chick-fil-A, there was once Le Bledo Dalat Bakery, a pretty decent Vietnamese place for pho and banh mi. The Chick-fil-A drive-thru really messed up the traffic pattern and parking in that plaza, so Le Bledo closed. There was a brief rumor that it would relocate across the street into Brookfield Plaza, but now it looks like it will relocate to the area of Springfield on Brandon across from Total Wine.

Hmmmmmm maybe I'll revaluate......

I tried to get through in my writing I thought it was decent just not excellent.

Agree on Thai Ghang Waan by the way I didn't mean to downplay how it was still a heavy hitter!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LauraB said:

Any idea when?

Not sure. That's a troubled area of Springfield, very hard to get to from any direction. Bob's Barbershop, a Springfield institution, moved from there a few years ago into the high rise next to LA Mart. Springfield Restaurant, another Springfield institution, closed a few years ago -- maybe that's the spot Le Bledo Dalat is looking at. Can't say it's a premium site, but Bob's moved out of there because the landlord jacked up the rent.

2 hours ago, manolands said:

Hmmmmmm maybe I'll revaluate......

I tried to get through in my writing I thought it was decent just not excellent.

Agree on Thai Ghang Waan by the way I didn't mean to downplay how it was still a heavy hitter!! 

It was quite clear you thought it was average.