Bada Bing, Food Truck in North Arlington

I went here for lunch today, I was actually heading down to the District Taco Truck, but got sidetracked when I saw the Bada Bing Truck for the first time.

After having lunch there today, I would say that this truck is the third ranked truck that lined up on N Lynn Street today. District Taco is far and away the number one ranked truck followed by Tasty Kabob (I don't care what anyone says, I like the food that comes out of that truck). Bada Bing falls in the middle of the pack and barely edges out Bar-B-Q Bandidos with Choupi Crepes coming in last place.

Overall, I liked my sandwich today from Bada Bing. The roll was pretty much perfect, the mozzarella was great and the pesto aioli pulled it all together. The tomatoes were a throw away, and I actually did throw them away, but the pork that I got on the sandwich was very flavorful and was worth the $6.50 for the sandwich. The only two issues that I had with the sandwich, other than the tomatoes, was that the pieces of pork were too big and that the entire sandwich needs to be heated up together. As far as the sizes of pork are concerned, I know that they are skewered and grilled, but they really need to cut them into much smaller pieces, after the fact, to put them into the sandwich. Pretty much every bite that I took consisted me of pulling out a huge chunk of pork with my teeth. And, it is pretty much a no brainer that the entire sandwich should be heated up (toasted?) once it is all put together, it would have been nice to have something warm in that sandwich other than the pork.

But, like I said, it was pretty good, I would definitely go back again.

According to their twitter, they now have amoroso rolls. I had their cheesesteak a little while ago before the change in bread, and I thought there was too much bread to meat. I haven't tried the cheesesteak again with the new rolls. This week, I had the Spartan Spiedie, which is chunks of pork, feta, olives, tzaziki, onion, on a pita. Pretty good sandwich, and I agree with the suggestion for smaller pieces of pork.

I grew up in upstate NY, but it wasn't until I started attending a huge annual party of a friend's in my 20s that I was turned on to the glories of Spiedies by one "Binghamton Bob" who would bring his home-marinated goodness to the party every year. Love 'em. You can buy the marinade at Wegman's, which has many things I grew up with in NY that I otherwise don't see down here.

I went back to Bada Bing today for lunch with four co-workers. Even though I was just there last Wednesday, it is tough to turn down having lunch with people that you like hanging out with.

The truck was much more crowded today than last week. Maybe it is the press that they have been getting, maybe it was the absence of District Taco, but either way, it was much more crowded. However, even with that crowd, the line moved quickly, maybe one million times faster than the Rebel Heroes line, but that is just an estimate.

I got the cheesesteak with onions and cheese whiz. As I said five days ago, I am "meh" on their sandwiches. There are some things that I liked about the cheesesteak over the spedie - the fact that the entire sandwich was warm - but the spedie had more flavor and was much less soggy.

Overall, I think that I will go there if my co-workers want to go, but I likely won't go there on my own again. Rosslyn is a culinary wasteland, but I think that I can find 10 places to go to over a 2 week period to keep me from heading back to Bada Bing.

The #1 "The Bing" (spiedie, in my case chicken, with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil aioli) was a good sandwich, but I agree with the comment above questioning the heating of these sandwiches. Some of the chicken pieces were warm, and some were downright cold.

The real highlight, however was the "gourmet side" of roasted sweet potato puree topped with fig apple compote and honey roasted sunflower seeds. This easily wins my award for best food truck side of the year for 2010, and it rings up at a reasonable $2. Who needs potato chips? :)

Perhaps all is not lost on Thursdays at lunchtime in Courthouse. Bittersweet serendipity brought the Bada Bing truck today to almost the exact spot where I ordered my last Macho Meatball from Rebel Heroes :) . To echo what's been said above, they are a LOT faster at getting their orders out, which was a very good thing on a cold, blustery day like today.

I ordered the seasonal side - Grandma's Chicken soup and the Bing pork spiedie (fresh mozz, tomatoes, and basil aioli). The soup was good, even though it lost a bit of heat on the short walk back to my office. Lots and lots of chicken and veggies - simple but hearty. I liked the sandwich a lot - all of the meat was warm and the roll absorbed the juices for a nice blend of flavor and texture with the basil aioli and the plentiful mozzarella.

I'll be back and may have to give the chicken spiedie salad a try in the Greek (Spartan) variation.

Bada Bing was driving like a bat out of hell down Route 50 Thursday morning at around 7:15 (I was right behind you!) They unwisely veered off onto a frontage road trying to save time on the drive, obviously thinking the main road might be backed up, but (and they don't know this), I paced them the whole way, and while they waited at the light to come back onto Route 50 at Annandale Road, I whizzed by them, smiling.

Cheers,

Rocks

Thank goodness the Bada Bing boys were in the Courthouse area today. They saved me from lunchtime indecision that would no doubt have ended badly. The #1 "Bing" salad, with chicken, hit the spot, although they were a little heavy-handed with the basil mayo. Fresh mixed greens topped with a generous amount of moist (and garlicky) chicken, along with cubes of mozz and tomatoes. It went well with a splash of balsamic vinaigrette (my own) - too bad they don't have that as a dressing option. They are really quick to fill orders - no more than a 5 minute wait, if that, to get my salad.

If only they'd kill that diesel engine while they're parked, the wait would be slightly more pleasant.