Zagat

crackers

Zagat’s Washington DC/Baltimore book (which includes Annapolis, the Eastern Shore and Frederick) is open for survey comments. Think what you want about the book, but in my opinion it needs some serious updating from the likes of us, so…the editor of the DC/Baltimore survey has asked me for dr.com help. The online survey runs until March 12 -----> here.

You don't have to be nice, or polite, just truthful (but not in a James Frey kind of way.) You have to register, but it’s free, and if you provide a mailing address, you will also get a free copy of the 2007 book when it comes out. If you don’t see a favorite restaurant listed, please, please write it in – there’s a place on the left for write-in votes. Even if it's a worthy hole-in-the-wall. I saw a preliminary list, and there do seem to be some gaps, especially on the Eastern Shore and Annapolis. You don’t have to do it all at once – you can stop and return to it later, change your entries, etc. Them what you really think.

Plus you get a free copy of the guide for signing up and submitting ratings.  I've gotten DC, New York, San Francisco and their Golf survey that way and I just did Chicago.
Right, I did mention that, but it bears repeating.

It's a $12 guide otherwise - and I see that some of us have some pretty creative uses for it.

That much of the rest of the population votes wrongly is no reason not to vote. That's what I seem to be saying every election year, at least.

Plus, it's like a game to see if you can get your Gene Shalit-like witticisms into the Guide. Ben's Chili Bowl? "I was bowled over!" Restaurant Eve? "Like the Garden of Eden in Alexandria!" Au Bon Pain "gives me bone pain!" Half this board's membership devotes half their time to converting restaurant names into funny homonyms. Get them in print!

P.S. And it's a good phone book.

P.P.S. I did not know until just now that you don't get to use the 30-point scale to rate; you only get a 0-to-3 scale. That's a pretty blunt instrument.

P.P.S.  I did not know until just now that you don't get to use the 30-point scale to rate; you only get a 0-to-3 scale.  That's a pretty blunt instrument.

Not only is it blunt, but there are three ways to like a restaurant and only one to say that it sucks. There are plenty of restaurants that I would call average, that I would be forced to designate as "good" because the only other choice is "poor".

That much of the rest of the population votes wrongly is no reason not to vote.  That's what I seem to be saying every election year, at least.

Plus, it's like a game to see if you can get your Gene Shalit-like witticisms into the Guide.  Ben's Chili Bowl?  "I was bowled over!"  Restaurant Eve?  "Like the Garden of Eden in Alexandria!"  Au Bon Pain "gives me bone pain!"    Half this board's membership devotes half their time to converting restaurant names into funny homonyms.  Get them in print!

P.S.  And it's a good phone book.

P.P.S.  I did not know until just now that you don't get to use the 30-point scale to rate; you only get a 0-to-3 scale.  That's a pretty blunt instrument.

I had a comment printed in the Paris edition year before last. I guess it would be cooler if I had a comment printedin the Washingtonian... :lol:

No matter what the quality of the content, from a restaurant's point of view it does bring in people ( besides having a pestegious looking plaque to hang in your window as a trophy).

I called them once and learnt that for a restaurant to make the list it must have at least 30 votes or something like that.

So here is an appeal to all you folks who like Bombay Curry company in Alexandria, to please, please vote for us. If you do not find a restaurant on the list, remember you can add it in yourself. Thank you.

PS: A restaurant that I dont think has even opened yet is on the list !

A complimentary dinner for two at the Bombay Curry Company to the first person who posts the name on this thread. Hint hint...its in the arlington or clarendon neighborhood.

Edited by bbhasin

So here is an appeal to all you folks who like Bombay Curry company in Alexandria, to please, please vote for us. If you do not find a restaurant on the list, remember you can add it in yourself. Thank you.

I noticed last night that Bombay Curry Company was not listed, so I made my write-in vote for it immediately!

Following bilrus' suggestion many months ago, I filled out some reviews for Zagat. Lo and behold, I received my complimentary copy in the mail yesterday. Spent about 30 minutes flipping through it and chuckling.

PS - Who is this "Tom Powers" guy that they say owns Corduroy?

Following bilrus' suggestion many months ago, I filled out some reviews for Zagat. Lo and behold, I received my complimentary copy in the mail yesterday. Spent about 30 minutes flipping through it and chuckling.

PS - Who is this "Tom Powers" guy that they say owns Corduroy?

Before I saw the light and joined this board, I actually thought Zagat was a useful reference for something besides telephone numbers and addresses. An edition or so ago they even quoted my comments about Nectar. But by the time it came out Nectar had already closed.

Top food ratings:

Inn at Little Washington

Maestro

Makoto

Citronelle

Marcel's

Eve

Ray's The Steaks

L'auberge Chez Francois

Obelisk

Gerard's Place

Le Paradou

Prime Rib

Seasons

CityZen

Kinkead's

Black Salt

Palena

Tosca

Thai Square

La Bergerie

Vidalia

Komi

Rabieng

Rasika

Persimmon

Interesting ratings:

El Pollo Rico - 25 (Crisp and Juicy second at 24)

2 Amy's - 25

Peking Gourmet Inn -25 (highest Chinese rating)

Rasika - 25 (highest Indian rating)

El Mariachi - 23 (highest Mexican rating with Guajillo at 22 and Oyamel 21)

Sweetwater Tavern - 22 (listed as "Southwestern/Tex Mex" (huh?) and tied with Mi Rancho at 22)

Ray's the Steaks and Prime Rib tied at 27 for food

Thai Square and Rabieng tied at 26 for Thai (highest Thai rating)

Baltimore:

Sushi Sono

Joss Cafe/Sushi (Annapolis)

Charleston

Samos

Antrim 44

Hampton's

Peter's Inn

Lemongrass (Annapolis)

Tersiguel's

Mari Luna Mexican

Trattoria Alberto (Italian in a Glen Burnie strip mall similar to Bonaroti in Vienna)

O'Leary's (Annapolis)

Chameleon Cafe

Aldo's

Helmand

Inn at Easton (Easton) (Far superior to Trattoria Alberto)

Jalapeno's (Annapolis)

Abacrombie

Les Folies (Annapolis)

Black Olive (a great Greek seafood house worth the drive to Baltimore!)

Interesting ratings:

Faidley's - 25 (Lexington Market)

Narrows - 23 (special mention of crab cake)

JPW started a thread on the 2007 guide under Media and News last week. I skimmed my copy when I got it in the mail this past weekend. Is every restaurant a "chic" "hotspot" around here? Perhaps the local editors could provide a suggested index of alternate words for "reviewers" to use in their write-ups for next year.