Date Change - dr.com Dinner at Evening Star Cafe

Escoffier

We have been back to Evening Star several times since the first Farm to Table dinner I posted about earlier
And if you're still kicking yourself because you didn't come to the first Farm Table dinner, take note that Chef Will and I have been talking about doing another one soon. Once again, it will be limited to 14 lucky people, it will be multi-course and it will be excellent. Stay tuned, more information will be coming shortly.

And if you're still kicking yourself because you didn't come to the first Farm Table dinner, take note that Chef Will and I have been talking about doing another one soon. Once again, it will be limited to 15 lucky people, it will be multi-course and it will be excellent. Stay tuned, more information will be coming shortly.

Hello all,

Well as Escoffier has mentioned we are planning our next farm table. I've set the date for Feb, 27th. The count will be 14 ppl. I'm sure he will be clawing at me to find out what I'm serving but that will be my secret for a little bit. It will be local, fresh, heart-warming & it will make your stomach smile. :P

Hello all,

Well as Escoffier has mentioned we are planning our next farm table. I've set the date for Feb, 27th. The count will be 14 ppl. I'm sure he will be clawing at me to find out what I'm serving but that will be my secret for a little bit. It will be local, fresh, heart-warming & it will make your stomach smile. :P

Ha! Chef Will thinks he can keep a secret. Well, I know one thing I really hope is on that menu...we had some of the best steak tartare I've ever had last night...I'll just keep mentioning the excellent food we get served and eventually he'll tell me what he plans to serve (and then I'll tell you). As Grover and I beat up on Chef Will for details, we'll post more information. I can guarantee that you will definitely enjoy this dinner. Just ask any of the lucky people who attended the last one.

Attendees: (Only 10 places left)

Escoffier

Grover

Walrus

Tripewriter (I think)

Ha! Chef Will thinks he can keep a secret. Well, I know one thing I really hope is on that menu...we had some of the best steak tartare I've ever had last night...I'll just keep mentioning the excellent food we get served and eventually he'll tell me what he plans to serve (and then I'll tell you). As Grover and I beat up on Chef Will for details, we'll post more information. I can guarantee that you will definitely enjoy this dinner. Just ask any of the lucky people who attended the last one.

Attendees: (Only 10 places left)

Escoffier

Grover

Walrus

Tripewriter (I think)

This sounds interesting but I am wondering if you have any other information about this? How much will it cost?

Okay, I've managed to worm a bit of info out of Chef. Dinner will be 5 courses (and probably a few surprises as well). Pricing is going to be $65 or $85 with wine pairings (if you went to the last dinner you know that the wine pours are generous and often). I can't emphasize enough how extremely good and plentiful the last dinner was.

Here is the tentative attendee list:

Attendees: (Only 8 places left)

Escoffier

Grover

Walrus

Tripewriter

StephenB

TheMatt

We spent some time talking to Chef Will Artley this evening and after a glass of wine or two (or six, but who's counting), he's agreed that $60 and $70 sound reasonable. I think I heard something about venison but that could have been the merlot...so now, the pricing is $60 without wine and $70 with wine (and I don't think there''s a better price for the amount and quality of food you'll be served anywhere). Thanks Chef Will, Grover and I are looking forward to another excellent meal.

A bit more info on the menu for the Farmer's Table dinner at Evening Star. The beef tartar that Grover and I liked so much will make it's formal debut on the menu. This is prime beef with apple and crispy burdock. (I also heard something about bone marrow ravioli and lots of bacon).

Attendees: (Only 7 places left)

Escoffier

Grover

Walrus

Tripewriter

StephenB

TheMatt

MeMc

Did I make it in time? Wouldn't dream of passing up another dinner from Chef Will!
Nope, the dinner will be on Feb 27th. I'm really looking forward to this dinner and glad you can join us.

Attendees: (Only 6 places left)

Escoffier

Grover

Walrus

Tripewriter

StephenB

TheMatt

MeMc

dalaii

If we run out of room on this one, I'm sure we can talk Chef Will into doing another one...

Attendees: (Only 2 places left)

Escoffier

Grover

Walrus

Tripewriter

StephenB

TheMatt

MeMc

dalaii

aaronsinger

nashman1975

walrus +1 (for the friends)

There's still room for 2 more and it's getting close. Don't miss out.

Okay, we've reached the magic 14 mark. I'll start a waiting list and will also talk to Chef Will about doing another Farmer's Table dinner in March or April.

Dinner will be on Feb 27 at 7:00pm at Planet Wine which is next door to Evening Star. We will have the entire place for ourselves. Come hungry and be prepared to eat and drink very well.

Attendees:

Escoffier

Grover

Walrus

Tripewriter

StephenB

TheMatt

MeMc

dalaii

aaronsinger

nashman1975

aqm

NotQuickDraw

I have some good news and some bad news. Chef Will Artley has to cancel on the Feb 27th date due to an unforseen event. The good news is that the dinner has been rescheduled for March 6th at the same time and he's going to add some more dishes to the original menu. Please let me know if you would like one of the 14 places available for this dinner. Anyone who went to the first one knows how good this dinner is.

Available seats (12 remaining)

Grover

Escoffier

I have some good news and some bad news. Chef Will Artley has to cancel on the Feb 27th date due to an unforseen event. The good news is that the dinner has been rescheduled for March 6th at the same time and he's going to add some more dishes to the original menu. Please let me know if you would like one of the 14 places available for this dinner. Anyone who went to the first one knows how good this dinner is.

Available seats (12 remaining)

Grover

Escoffier

Just a thought....Shouldn't those who were signed up for the original date have first right of refusal for the rescheduled date?

Just a thought....Shouldn't those who were signed up for the original date have first right of refusal for the rescheduled date?
Absolutely. Thanks for the heads up...that's what I get for doing things after being on an airplane for 22 hours... :P We had one person drop out on the original date, so if you signed up for the 27th I'm going to assume you want to change to Friday the 6th. If this is incorrect, please let me know. If all of the original people decide to go on the revised date, I'll start a standby list.

Here is the original list:

Attendees:

Escoffier

Grover

Walrus

Tripewriter

StephenB

TheMatt

MeMc

dalaii

aaronsinger

nashman1975

aqm

NotQuickDraw

And here is the new list of people who have already confirmed for the new date:

Available seats (8 remaining)

Grover

Escoffier

dalaii

agm

NotQuickDraw

MeMc

I'm confused, one message says the 6th, and the other says the 7th. I'm good for either so please re-sign me up. Thanks Nashman
Thanks. I fixed the error. I'm still a bit jet lagged but it's on Friday the 6th of March at 7:00 pm.

Please let the original people who requested a seat have priority. As we get closer, I will start a wait list if the 14 places are full. Here is the list of people who have reconfirmed:

Farmers Table Dinner on March 6th at 7:00 pm at Evening Star. (7 places remaining)

Grover

Escoffier

dalaii

agm

NotQuickDraw

MeMc

Nashman1975

Thanks. I fixed the error. I'm still a bit jet lagged but it's on Friday the 6th of March at 7:00 pm.

Please let the original people who requested a seat have priority. As we get closer, I will start a wait list if the 14 places are full. Here is the list of people who have reconfirmed:

Farmers Table Dinner on March 6th at 7:00 pm at Evening Star. (7 places remaining)

Grover

Escoffier

dalaii

agm

NotQuickDraw

MeMc

Nashman1975

If you were on the list for the original date, I assume that you will be present and ravenously hungry for the 6th. If for some reason, you cannot attend, please let me know. There are other people who have expressed an interest and it would be a shame if someone missed out on this great dinner.

If you were on the list for the original date, I assume that you will be present and ravenously hungry for the 6th. If for some reason, you cannot attend, please let me know. There are other people who have expressed an interest and it would be a shame if someone missed out on this great dinner.

[That's a dangerous assumption. If you're putting any type of burden on the original attendees, you should assume they're NOT coming until they say they are (and if there's a waiting list, then you should set a time limit in which to RSVP); otherwise, you're going to have some no-shows.]

The Evening Star Cafe Farmer's Table dinner is getting very close (March 6 at 7:00pm). Evening Star Cafe is on Mount Vernon Avenue in the DelRay section of Alexandria. DelRay has a number of great shops including Cheesetique, Meat on the Avenue and Dairy Godmother.

Farmer's Table Dinner on March 6th. There are two places available due to people who cannot make it. Here is your chance to join the following folks at what will be a memorable dining experience.

Grover

Escoffier

agm

NotQuickDraw

MeMc

Nashman1975

Walrus+3

StephenB

TheMatt

The Evening Star Cafe Farmer's Table dinner is getting very close (March 6 at 7:00pm). Evening Star Cafe is on Mount Vernon Avenue in the DelRay section of Alexandria. DelRay has a number of great shops including Cheesetique, Meat on the Avenue and Dairy Godmother.

Farmer's Table Dinner on March 6th. There are two places available due to people who cannot make it. Here is your chance to join the following folks at what will be a memorable dining experience.

Grover

Escoffier

agm+1

NotQuickDraw

MeMc

Nashman1975

Walrus+3

StephenB

Aaaagh! I hope there is still room for me. Apparently I am no longer getting email alerts when new posts are made here!

If not, oh well! Have a great time, my friends!

Okay, the tension is building and Chef Will Artley is scheming. Grover and I had a bit of a preview of some of the courses on Thursday night and they are scrumptious. Neel the manager gave us a preview of the wines and they match the foods wonderfully well. If you miss this one you're really going to be sorry. The price is $65 for dinner and $85 for dinner and the wine pairing. If you like good wines, you'll love this dinner.

Grover and I are looking forward to seeing everyone on March 6 at 7:00pm.

If you were planning on taking that last seat on Friday you're out of luck. This Farmer's Table dinner is now officially full. I'm sure that I can talk Chef Will Artley into another one but for later in the year. The dinner will take place in Planet Wine which is right next door to Evening Star Cafe. The dinner starts at 7:00pm on Friday the 6th. See you lucky ones there.

Attendees:

The last seat is available. Good food, good conversation and good friends...what more could you ask for?

Attendees:

Grover

Escoffier

agm

NotQuickDraw

MeMc

Nashman1975

Walrus+3

StephenB +1

TheMatt

Merry Mary

I'll double up. I've added a brief recollection of the meal with pictures on my blog: Farm Table at Evening Star Cafe. If anyone wants to add descriptions of the wines served, let me know, and I'll add those as well. I...can't really comment. :rolleyes:

Matt, you have done an excellent job in both words and pictures for which we all are, or should be, grateful. The only thing I can add is that the sparkling rosé at the opening was, um, OK, but not as good as the Dr Pepper.

Very good description from Matt. I do have some additional thoughts, though.

First, on the beef tartare: NQD and I are not fans of tartare (beef, tuna, whatever). Raw protein normally doesn't work for us, partly on taste, largely on texture. There are exceptions, of course, oysters being a particular favorite of mine. The tartare on Friday night was another exception. We both thoroughly enjoyed it, and both agreed that we would happily order it again. That's a first for both of us. The lobster roll was similarly excellent.

Now, that foie gras/parsnip cappuccino. Matt said "it was actually not bad." To someone who is a fan of foie gras, this was fantastic. I want another cup. No, I want a mug. Or a pitcher. I'd love it for dinner again. Or maybe dessert. Or breakfast. Oh, hell, I don't care when. I just want it. Unfortunately, it's not on the regular menu. The seared foie gras was good, and I liked the spaetzle. NQD liked it, but prefers her spaetzle softer and creamier; this was more al dente.

I'm not a fish lover, but I could tell this was a very well cooked piece of fish. The "fantasy potatoes" were excellent, even though they included shrimp, another ingredient I don't care for. In my fantasy, I'd swap out the shrimp for more bacon.

The shortribs demonstrated how far I have to go, but inspired me to try again, soon. The dessert was delicious, solid and substantive but also lighter than it looked. Yeah, I know, that didn't make sense.

I don't remember what the wines were (my memory for such things is poor), but they were quite good; on Saturday we went back to Planet Wine for a couple of bottles of the zinfandel and sparkling pinot noir, each less than $20. I can go looking for my menu and post the wines if nobody beats me to it.

Overall: We had never been to Evening Star; it was on our list of places to try, but on the second tier. That was clearly a mistake. There is some fine cooking going on in that kitchen (and I'm not saying that just because Will looks like he could be my brother). This is what passes for a neighborhood restaurant in Del Ray? We'll be back. I just wish it were closer to home.