Two Chances to Convince a Friend to Move Here

MBK

A good friend of mine lived in DC from 1994-1998, and didn't love it much. Since then, she's lived in Brooklyn, Madison, Kazakhstan, Siberia, and Russia.

She's considering moving back to the States, and DC is on her shortlist (along with Chicago). She thinks she prefers Chicago ... but she might have more job opportunities in DC.

She's in town for a bit, and I'm taking her out on the town twice to catch up - and to oh-so-subtly make the pitch for DC. So, where would you take her to sell her on how DC has changed over the last ten years? I was thinking Granville Moore's/H Street Country Club - although I've never been. Good idea? Better ideas? (FYI, we're women in our early 30s.)

A good friend of mine lived in DC from 1994-1998, and didn't love it much. Since then, she's lived in Brooklyn, Madison, Kazakhstan, Siberia, and Russia.

She's considering moving back to the States, and DC is on her shortlist (along with Chicago). She thinks she prefers Chicago ... but she might have more job opportunities in DC.

She's in town for a bit, and I'm taking her out on the town twice to catch up - and to oh-so-subtly make the pitch for DC. So, where would you take her to sell her on how DC has changed over the last ten years? I was thinking Granville Moore's/H Street Country Club - although I've never been. Good idea? Better ideas? (FYI, we're women in our early 30s.)

The Prime Rib and The Yacht Club (*).

(*) featuring Tommy The Matchmaker.

Proof, PS7's, Gibson, BdC :huh: or how about some of the new places on the Hill - Cava, Belga (seems like there a few others that aren't listed in the dining guide). Or a trip across the river to the new, improved? (personally, I liked it the old, early 90s way) Clarendon - for a rooftop drink or dinner at Eventide or the Ballroom, Liberty, Restaurant 3.

Has she been to Bar Pilar (I know that, as a regular :rolleyes: , you can sell that place)? or Cork?

And there's always Old Town - Majestic, PX, or Grape and Bean, among other choices.

(I didn't love Granville Moore's but I seem to be in the minority)

Screw downtown. Take her to Petworth and Columbia Heights. The Red Derby and Room 11 for happy hour. Then the 15-minute trip to CityZen for the $50 bar dinner. And then back to the Heights for whomever's at Bloombars. Safer than Khazhastan, cheaper than Brooklyn, funkier than Madison, warmer than Siberia and/or Chicago.

And, with all due respect to the H Street corridor, the hipster vibe only goes so far and living there means living a long fucking way from civilization. Though not as long as from Khazakhstan.

Vidalia's for lunch, then walk to gardens at Dumbarton Oaks and head to Dolcezza after that.

The AFI (though the current 80s fest is dreary) w a burger across the street.

The East Building of the National Gallery of Art and Oyamel's happy hour to follow, then if it's Friday night, one of the free movies at the Freer after that.

Dupont Circle on a Sunday morning when Bev's there.