Lunchtime - Freedom Plaza Area

Tweaked

My office just moved across from the Warner Theater and Freedom Plaza...what's good for lunch around these parts?

when I buy lunch I usually get take out and eat at my office so not so much interested in sit down restaurants (although if there are any good lunch specials to be had please share!)

The National Building food court has Nan & Beyond (pretty weak chicken tikka sandwich today, but their thali platter looks good). so far I have seen lots of tourists and the usual Potbelly, McD's, Five Guys mishmash.

Any hidden gems?

I've ordered carry out at the bar at Central before. It's a bit of a wait, but I think it's nice to splurge on every once in awhile. This would be my little hidden gem.

There's also a little deli at 11th or 12th & Penn or E - West Wing cafe, I think. Nice sandwiches.

Near National Place are Devon & Blakely or Organics to Go. Does Firehook have sandwiches?

Sometimes I walk to 15th to the Old Ebbitt Express for carry out. Or Loeb's NY Deli nearby.

Or walk down to PQ to the Farmer's Market or Teaism. Or the new Spy Diner cart?

Hope this is a good start.

It's too bad the Dean & Deluca carryout isn't still open (it was off to the side of John Harvard's Brew House). I know that doesn't help you now, but for years, it was the best quick lunch option in that area, and now we're left with lesser choices. Likewise, Les Halles had a good carryout steak sandwich, for whatever that's worth.

Cheers,

Rocks.

You are probably about 5 blocks from Cafe Mozart which is nice for a pretty day. Cowgirl creamery is also an option if you can walk a little bit. Breadline is a bit of a walk too. Anyone know where the On the Fly cart in that area is?

Also you could check out the Penn Quarter market and get some gelato if you took a late lunch. Does PS7 serve at lunch? If you could get their bar menu at lunch time that would be a big perk.

zero for I have lost track.

strolled over to the Old Post Office building on PA ave to get a dosa at the Indian take out joint in the food court. I have memories of this place actually being decent.

The dosa today was not.

The dosa crepe was not bad and traveled back to my office quite well. the potato masala inside was terrible. Zero flavor, basically like bad oily diner home fries with a little yellow coloring and with few black mustard and cumin seeds. The coconut chutney and sambhar were decent. If the potato masala had any flavor this would be an acceptable lunch option...sadly it is not worth the $6 and change.

zero for I have lost track.

strolled over to the Old Post Office building on PA ave to get a dosa at the Indian take out joint in the food court. I have memories of this place actually being decent.

The dosa today was not.

The dosa crepe was not bad and traveled back to my office quite well. the potato masala inside was terrible. Zero flavor, basically like bad oily diner home fries with a little yellow coloring and with few black mustard and cumin seeds. The coconut chutney and sambhar were decent. If the potato masala had any flavor this would be an acceptable lunch option...sadly it is not worth the $6 and change.

Try Phillips. It's in the Elephant and Castle building, and at lunch they have fresh carvery turkey, ham, and beef for sandwiches. Devon and Blakely and the Organic place (on ... G maybe? F? between 13th and 14th?) are better than your average lunch joint.

The chicken bbq quesadilla at Organics To Go...terrible.

so far the winner is Devon & Blakely. The "cuban" sandwich, while certainly not traditional (turkey and ham cold cuts, cheese, pickles, jalapeno pressed on a panini grill) does make for a good sandwich. It could use a little more dressing, it only had a slight smear of mayo and no mustard!

despite the low quality pork and generic noodles, the pickled mustard pork noodle soup from Meiwah is the best thing I have ordered at the National Place Food Court so far.

Sadly, I was pretty bored with it by the bottom of the bowl...broth too one dimensional and just ends up tasting of salt.

You are probably about 5 blocks from Cafe Mozart which is nice for a pretty day.

I used to work right across the street from Cafe Mozart and really enjoyed its Hungarian goulash and potato leek soup (not to mention the apple strudel). Sometimes my colleagues and I would go there for a sit-down lunch, but on days when I was pressed for time, I would go there and pick up something to go. I think it's one of the best options in the area for good quality carryout food in the OP's area.

Another place the OP could go is Potenza bakery (15th & H)--not too far of a walk, I think.