No Joy or Luck in THIS Club

JPW

Culprit - the Research Cafe 1801 Research Blvd.

The following items, and the following items only, belong in a club -

Turkey, not smoked turkey

If you're being fancy some ham, but nothing too sweet

A couple of leaves of lettuce, not shredded lettuce

A slice of tomato

Plain mayo, not thousand island or French dressing

Slices of bacon, not bacon bits

White, whole wheat, rye are all acceptable,

BUT TOAST THE FUCKING BREAD!!!!!

Man, my food luck just sucks this week.

1)Sat night - burn my hand and go to emergency room (after I ate dinner).

2)Sun morning - no bacon in the house

3)Monday - see cafe spice report

4) Tuesday - see above

5)Tuesday night - spill pizza ingredients in oven, smoke sets off alarm (but the pizza turned out well)

Calgon take me away!

Sat night - burn my hand and go to emergency room (after I ate dinner).

Good man. Eat through the pain!

Poor sandwich engineering is a real pet peeve of mine. There is a deli of sorts called Little Home in Silver Spring and it happens to be the closest place for lunch where I work. They bake some excellent bread, but they can't make a freakin sandwich. They have tuna melts, but no grill, so it's just toasted bread. On top of that, when you order a hot sandwich, they wrap it tightly in cling wrap so when I get back to my desk two minutes later the bread is soggy from condensation.

Also, name your sandwiches! I don't care if you just number them-- call them whatever you want. But give me a starting point when I order. I don't like having to specify every single item I want in my lunch. I'd rather say, give me an "xyz" and hold the mayo. :lol:

Culprit - the Research Cafe 1801 Research Blvd.

I actually had a decent pastrami and corned beef sandwich there once. It is actually not the worst office building sandwich shop in the world.

Of course that's not saying a whole heck of a lot.

I've been served a BLT slathered with what appeared to be dijonnaise at Luna Grill in Shirlington. Ugh. Luckily, the last time I was there I was happy to discover that they've stopped that sacrilege and my BLT was sporting plain mayo.

Man, my food luck just sucks this week.

Calgon take me away!

Just got out of the bath ;)

I see your food luck and raise you a Welches grape jelly on matzah. That's what was for lunch the past two days :lol:

I was once served a ruben that was slathered in mayo. That, my friends, is criminal.

Just got out of the bath ;)

I see your food luck and raise you a Welches grape jelly on matzah.  That's what was for lunch the past two days :lol:

I was once served a ruben that was slathered in mayo.  That, my friends, is criminal.

But if you only had eaten Welch's grape jelly on matzah brei--mmmhh, one of my favorites!

• Like 1

I used to go to the Research Cafe a couple of times a week. However, that was a number of years ago, and I know that it has since changed owners. I never had a sandwich that I did not like. My favorites were the Italian Cold Cut (they toast them), and the Meatball Sub which was made with homemade meatballs. I also remember having the club several times, and it was standard fare, not the monstrosity that you described.

Fuck you, Marriott Host Services! You're just lucky I can't bill you for the 15 minutes I just spent in the bathroom and for the next 15 minutes while I run out to Safeway for a roll of Tums.

Now I remember why I usually never get anything more than a salad in our cafeteria.

Should have had lunch with me!

Fuck you, Marriott Host Services! You're just lucky I can't bill you for the 15 minutes I just spent in the bathroom and for the next 15 minutes while I run out to Safeway for a roll of Tums.

Now I remember why I usually never get anything more than a salad in our cafeteria.