Company Holiday Lunch

govtemployee

I'm in charge of planning the holiday party at the office this year. I'm brand new to DC - some might even say I'm the least suited to the task at hand - and so I'm hoping for some advice. The ideal location would:

1) Be within a few metro stops (or walking distance) of Union Station

2) Take reservations for a group of about 35

3) Have a menu that can cater to most palates

4) Cost $20-25 per person (though a nicer place where one could opt to pay more while others could still find a meal in the $20 range would be ideal)

I appreciate any tips you guys can offer. Thanks!

I'd be tempted to call Cava on Capitol Hill and see what they could do. (They cater so maybe you could negotiate an agreed upon menu for a fixed price in your range -- otherwise the lunch menu looks like it might be limited.) I've only been for dinner and in Rockville, but the food is great and the format is tapas-like, which seems to encourage interaction. http://dc.cavamezze.com/site/info

Oyamel (near Gallery Place) would be my other recommendation: http://www.oyamel.com/ Similar deal in terms of format.

On the one hand, neither of these are restaurants that most people who say "cater to most palates" -- at least not in the way Clydes does (e.g. diner-like menu with familiar dishes in every category). On the other hand, both are very tasty (unlike Clydes, IMO), and offer lots of choices (e.g good options for vegetarians, a wide spectrum of spiciness).

As someone who's not a big fan of office parties, I'd want the food to be interesting and, potentially, something to talk about. But if it's a convival group to begin with and somewhat risk-averse wrt food, then YMMV.

Thanks a lot for the responses. PS7's looks good and so does Clyde's. Regarding my own taste, I love spicy food and will try anything. Unfortunately, as the new guy in the office, I think it's best if I play it safe. I've also been told that Nando's Peri Peri and Vapiano's would be good places. Does anyone know whether or not those would meet the criteria set out above? Thanks a lot in advance, I really appreciate it!

1) Be within a few metro stops (or walking distance) of Union Station

2) Take reservations for a group of about 35

3) Have a menu that can cater to most palates

4) Cost $20-25 per person (though a nicer place where one could opt to pay more while others could still find a meal in the $20 range would be ideal)

Thanks a lot for the responses. PS7's looks good and so does Clyde's. Regarding my own taste, I love spicy food and will try anything. Unfortunately, as the new guy in the office, I think it's best if I play it safe. I've also been told that Nando's Peri Peri and Vapiano's would be good places. Does anyone know whether or not those would meet the criteria set out above? Thanks a lot in advance, I really appreciate it!

I think Nando's might not meet criteria 2) or 3). Vapiano's, boring as it may be, might be a safe option (although I'd call about the large party well in advance). If you're going to go the Ultra-Safe route, Clyde's can probably handle your large party effortlessly - it won't be memorable, but nobody will hate you for it either.

With your criteria, especially number 1), my first phone call would be to Johnny's Half Shell.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I've also been told that Nando's Peri Peri and Vapiano's would be good places.

I don't think Nando's does reservations, but even if it does I don't think you'd want to have 35 people there. Also, the food is borderline adventurous for some. Vapiano would be better choice in terms of conservative cuisine, but still, not sure if they can do 35 people there. Neither one of them provide table service, and Vapiano has this novel payment system that would invite trouble for an office party.

I would have to second the Clyde's choice, as the safest option. The food is non-offensive, which is pretty much all you can ask for in your situation. And the raw bar is worth the visit. You might be able to get a private room for all of you.

I don't think Nando's does reservations, but even if it does I don't think you'd want to have 35 people there. Also, the food is borderline adventurous for some. Vapiano would be better choice in terms of conservative cuisine, but still, not sure if they can do 35 people there. Neither one of them provide table service, and Vapiano has this novel payment system that would invite trouble for an office party.

I believe both do a semi-table service, as at Nando's, the server has brought my food out to me, corresponding to the number on the table. I've seen Vapiano service at the Dupont/Farragut location. I think Nando's Dupont looked like it had a side room for stuff, but am not sure about Vapiano's.

If it's a govt office, for some reason, office parties tend to gravitate toward Chinese food, so maybe somewhere in Chinatown?

Edited by goodeats