Caribou Coffee, a Minnesota Chain Acquired by Peet's Coffee (a California Chain) in 2012 - Over Two Dozen Area Stores Changed Brands and Closed

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for Caribou before. They just started using Guittard chocolate to make their hot chocolate and mochas. I got a dark chocolate mocha this morning, and it is incredibly rich and tasty. You also have the option to get milk or white chocolate, and the medium is only $2 on Mondays. This is pretty amazing given that their previous hot chocolate tasted and looked like muddy water.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for Caribou before. They just started using Guittard chocolate to make their hot chocolate and mochas. I got a dark chocolate mocha this morning, and it is incredibly rich and tasty. You also have the option to get milk or white chocolate, and the medium is only $2 on Mondays. This is pretty amazing given that their previous hot chocolate tasted and looked like muddy water.

The one in Springfield has a daily trivia question where you can get ten cents of your order if you answer correctly.

Cheers,

Rocks

ETA - it looks like their website has trivia on the main page too, so this could be something more than a single-store quirk.

Edited by DonRocks

The one in Springfield has a daily trivia question where you can get ten cents of your order if you answer correctly.

Cheers,

Rocks

ETA - it looks like their website has trivia on the main page too, so this could be something more than a single-store quirk.

The one at 18th and M in NW has the same thing. Not sure if the question varies store-to-store though.

Next time, have them add half a shot of their "toasted marshmallow" syrup to the blend, stirred, and well-incorporated into the heat.

Tastes like breaking all ten commandments at once.

The one at 18th and M in NW has the same thing. Not sure if the question varies store-to-store though.

I believe it does vary from store-to-store, but I can't remember if I went to 2 stores on different days or the same day. Either way, I jump for joy when I can get my ten cents off. Kind of the same effect when the five cent bag refund rings up at the grocery store.... :-/P

In a long, tragic story involving a bean grinder's swan song coupled with imploding procurement motivation, I was without home-brewed coffee all week. I kept having to duck into Caribou to get my Arabica on.

I noticed a new presence in their cold case today: Wheatberry Salad

The barista confirmed this was a recent menu arrival. He also confirmed that Mr. Weasley's car in the Harry Potter film was a Ford Anglia, so note to self if you see that trivia question during your next visit.

Shocked at the availability of whole grains, I checked out the salad. Texture OK, flavor decent, an interesting change of pace.

(although the olive oil turns this into a 700 calorie, 26 fat gram adventure)

(stop with the nutritionism, already)

(i know, i know)

post-5654-12750959325_thumb.jpg

I have generally enjoyed the Caribous around here -- South Riding, Brambleton (which I think is still there), 17th and L, maybe one or two others -- but it sounds like Peet's will be a more than worthy replacement. Our office is moving to Metro Center in two months so it will be nice to have a close alternative to my daily (often twice daily) Starbucks.

Every once in awhile, I go to the Burke Caribou Coffee (just off Braddock Road), and enjoy it more than I do other similar chains. It has a very comforting (okay ... "mall-like") North Canada / Alaska theme to it, plus, if you answer the trivia question correctly, you'll get a dime off your order.

• Like 1

Every once in awhile, I go to the Burke Caribou Coffee (just off Braddock Road), and enjoy it more than I do other similar chains. It has a very comforting (okay ... "mall-like") North Canada / Alaska theme to it, plus, if you answer the trivia question correctly, you'll get a dime off your order. 

"Caribou Shops To Close Across D.C. This Month" by Catherine Carney on blogs.gwhatchet.com

[Okay, think, Don ... when a company changes ownership and name, but not location, I ... I ... give it a separate thread. I think.

But when it changes ownership, but not name, it stays in the old thread. I think.

So, as long as a location is still named "Caribou Coffee," posts about it will stay in here, regardless of ownership, as long as the post deals exclusively with Caribou Coffee, and doesn't involve the Peet's takeover; everything else goes in the Peet's Coffee thread.

I think that's right. There's got to be a mathematical formula for all this.]

• Like 1