Spice Xing Dinner Event

A dinner at Masala Art a few months back gave me a chance to meet Chef Seth and to learn a whole lot more about Indian food than I ever had before. This contact, coupled with having lived vicariously through posts about past dr.com events at his restaurants (particularly the Crab Feast held there nearly a year ago, which discussed here, and really ought to become an annual tradition...) led to talk of organizing another chance for dr.com members to visit Spice Xing as a group. The goal was to offer a variety of dishes that would represent Chef Seth's cooking without creating a menu so expansive that one would only get a single bite of a thirty different things, overwhelming one's palate with spices but never actually understanding how each individual dish works.

I gave Chef Seth full reign over the menu, and he came up with this:

ON ARRIVAL

Mirchi Paratha whole wheat layered spicy bread

Raita cucumber and yogurt relish

APPETIZERS

Tandoori Wings

Chilli Cheese Toast

Kathi Roll spiced chicken wraps

Vegetable Cutless

Lamb Seekh Kabab lamb mince rolls

ENTREES

Masala Baked Fish

Nariyal Shrimp Curry south Indian coconut shrimp

Salli Boti Jardaloo lamb stewed with apricots

Indo-Chinese "Chili Chicken"

Methi Chaman mustard flavored spinach and cheese

Gobhi Simla Mirchi cauliflower florets & bell peppers with wild onion seeds

ACCOMPANIMENTS

Dal Makhni slow-cooked lentils

Steamed Basmati

Assorted freshly Baked Breads

DESSERTS

Gajar Halwa carrot pudding

Rasmalai saffron flavored poached cheese dumplings

I expect that this menu will allow everybody to get a broad sense of his cooking, yet at the same time, the dishes are laid out in such a way that it will be possible to give them each the respect they deserve, rather than having to scarf down a single fork full, pass the plate along, and repeat, barreling into a wholly different set of flavors before having a chance to realize what you've just put into your mouth.

For $37, all inclusive, this spread is more than worth it, and I'm sure that everyone will leave both happy and full to the gills. Here are links to Spice Xing's dr.com thread and its website for some background info.

As it stands, there is no limit to the number who may attend. Sign up either here or through PM, and I'll keep a list.

The List

Liz

Tweaked

fuzzy510 (?)

ol_ironstomach

gubeen

Kmango (+1?)

GennaroE

It's a few weeks away (duh) so tentative responses, needing to check schedules, etc., are all more than welcome. Chef Seth and I are really hoping for a big turnout -- like past Spice Xing events -- so keep the sign-ups coming!

The List

Liz

Tweaked

fuzzy510

ol_ironstomach

gubeen

Kmango (+1?)

eroica (+1)

GennaroE

One week out, and only 10 sign ups? Come on people, I know we can do better than that. The menu that Sudhir has put together is exactly what's needed on hump day in order to get through the rest of the week.

The List

Liz

Tweaked

fuzzy510

ol_ironstomach

gubeen

Kmango (+1?)

eroica (+1)

GennaroE

One week out, and only 10 sign ups? Come on people, I know we can do better than that. The menu that Sudhir has put together is exactly what's needed on hump day in order to get through the rest of the week.

Ummm...I posted back on Apr 05 that I'll be there +3. Look upthread.

Ummm...I posted back on Apr 05 that I'll be there +3. Look upthread.

Ah, sorry! I even replied to your question, but totally forgot to include your group on the list.

The List

Liz

Tweaked

fuzzy510

ol_ironstomach

gubeen

Kmango (+1?)

xcanuck (+3)

eroica (+1)

GennaroE

So the count is at 13/14.

Ah, sorry! I even replied to your question, but totally forgot to include your group on the list.

The List

Liz

Tweaked

fuzzy510

ol_ironstomach

gubeen

Kmango (+1?)

xcanuck (+3)

eroica (+1)

GennaroE

So the count is at 13/14.

Gennaro, I am a definite Maybe +1

The List

Liz

Tweaked

fuzzy510

ol_ironstomach

gubeen

Kmango (+1?)

eroica (+1)

GennaroE

Count me in!!

I haven't been to a DR event since the picnic, so I am looking forward to reuniting with you!

The List

Liz

Tweaked

fuzzy510

ol_ironstomach

gubeen

Kmango (+1?)

xcanuck (+3)

eroica (+1)

Marketfan (+1)?

LaShanta

GennaroE

So we're hovering around the 15 mark....let's at least break 20!

Sign-ups will close Monday at 8 AM, when I'll be sending Chef Seth the final headcount, so that he has time to prepare.

I posted on April 4th that I would like to attend.

Sorry! Apparently I'm somewhat blind and suffering from early senility, but only when it comes to organizing this event...mayhap my desire for Chef Seth's food, sparked each time I check this thread, hinders my ability to take care of the "business side" of it all. Whatever the case, you're in, of course - see you there!

The List

Liz

Tweaked

fuzzy510

ol_ironstomach

gubeen

Kmango (+1?)

susan

xcanuck (+3)

eroica (+1)

Marketfan (+1)?

LaShanta

GennaroE

Looks like it's 18, folks. I'm going to tell Chef Seth that that's the number so that he can prepare; If anybody else suddenly wants to join the feast between now and Wednesday, shoot me a PM and I'll see if it's possible. Also, if you replied as a "maybe," please confirm whether or not you're coming ASAP.

Looking forward to seeing you all there. Come hungry!

Have to cancel for tonight.. I was so looking forward to this dinner...

Sorry you can't make it Susan. Hopefully next time!

Because a few people can no longer attend, there are now 4 slots open. If anybody would like to claim one (or more) of them, shoot me a PM asap.

Sorry you can't make it Susan. Hopefully next time!

Because a few people can no longer attend, there are now 4 slots open. If anybody would like to claim one (or more) of them, shoot me a PM asap.

I am afraid that my MAYBE has now become a No for tonight. Sorry for the delay.

As a reminder folks, it is considered courteous - and is the longstanding policy of this board - that cancellations for other-than-informal dining events must be made no later than 72 hours prior to the event. If there is no waiting list for the event, then you are responsible for covering your spot unless other arrangements have been made.

"Things" come up on short notice. It happens to all of us. However, a hosting restaurant has made a commitment to accomodate our group, and in many cases has to obtain special ingredients or make special preparations in advance. Luckily (I believe), all of tonight's menu items are regular offerings. Nevertheless, to leave them hanging at the last moment is inconsiderate to both the restaurant and to your fellow eventgoers. So PLEASE understand that when the clock ticks down and you hold a spot on an formal event list, it is expected that you will honor your responsibilities.

Thank you for your consideration.