Lunch Options off the Green Line

fuzzy510

Started a new job recently that has me commuting down the Green Line during lunch, and it occurs to me that I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of the area. Is there anything in that stretch between Fort Totten and L'Enfant Plaza that I need to know about where I can pick up a decent lunch without spending close to $20 each time?

I'm no expert, but I don't really think there is anything between L'Enfant & Ft. Totten. :)

Except, of course, every restaurant in Penn Quarter or Chinatown. Gallery Place stop.

Probably worth a call to see if Proof is still doing their $12 bar special. Otherwise Full Key, Matchbox and Jaleo leap to mind.

Personally, I think $20 is an odd boundary. I 'd tend to go for under $10 three days a week (Chipotle, Chopt, whatever) and then hit something a little nicer (701?) on Day Four. But, everyone's utility curve is a little different.

Except, of course, every restaurant in Penn Quarter or Chinatown. Gallery Place stop.

Probably worth a call to see if Proof is still doing their $12 bar special. Otherwise Full Key, Matchbox and Jaleo leap to mind.

Zaytinya is right there, too.

I'm no expert, but I don't really think there is anything between L'Enfant & Ft. Totten. :)

Those of us in Petworth disagree!

OK, Domku is a walk from the metro, so that might not work. But they do lunch a few days a week, and that makes me happy.I think Sweet Mango does lunch too (tasty jerk chicken.) Also, we have a new Sala Thai on top of the metro. Not my favorite, but others like it.

As for Columbia Heights, there's a ThaiTanic. Commonwealth does lunch. So does Taqueria Distrito Federal. (Again, this makes me happy.)

Personally, I think $20 is an odd boundary. I 'd tend to go for under $10 three days a week (Chipotle, Chopt, whatever) and then hit something a little nicer (701?) on Day Four. But, everyone's utility curve is a little different.

Just an arbitrary ceiling for what I've spent for a good, but not terribly extravagant, lunch before. Cheaper is obviously better, but I didn't want to come in and ask for something absurdly cheap.

Interesting places with counter service are a huge plus.

Didn't realize that Taylor was right there on K Street, and that's not too far out of the way.

I'll have to pay visits to Full Kee and Sweet Mango.

I've been meaning to get to Proof to check out the lunch special, but I can never seem to get myself in gear to show up during lunch hours. My loss.

The Andres places are certainly good, but I do terribly in trying to restrain myself when eating tapas/mezze.

And I'm, uh, familar with Matchbox.

Please do keep them coming if you've got them, and thanks a ton for all of your thoughts thusfar.

Those of us in Petworth disagree!

I'm a moron. I live 2 blocks away from the Columbia Heights stop and I was picturing the red line (which doesn't stop at L'Enfant - I know) to Ft Totten and in that case my comment would have been more accurate :) .

I agree with all your suggestions and would add if the original poster is willing to walk to Domku they might also consider Ercilia's or Adam's Express on Mt. Pleasant Street or Pho 14 on Park Road.