Snacks b/t DC and Harrisburg

MBK

I posted in the intrepid traveler forum, but just to cover all my bases ... I'm driving from DC to Harrisburg, PA tomorrow (and back) and will have time to stop off for snacks on the way - if there's anywhere worth stopping. I've been told of a place called Shamrocks in Thurmont, MD, and a place called People's Restaurant in New Holland, PA. Is either of those worth it? Anything else worthwhile a little more on the way? Am looking for something to improve the drive :)

I posted in the intrepid traveler forum, but just to cover all my bases ... I'm driving from DC to Harrisburg, PA tomorrow (and back) and will have time to stop off for snacks on the way - if there's anywhere worth stopping. I've been told of a place called Shamrocks in Thurmont, MD, and a place called People's Restaurant in New Holland, PA. Is either of those worth it? Anything else worthwhile a little more on the way? Am looking for something to improve the drive :)

Chubby's BBQ has been mentioned in the BBQ forum (its right off 15), however, the commentary seems to have been a big negative over the last year. In regard to the Shamrock (also right off 15) I've never been, but it is ALWAYS packed (I've been driving past it for 6 years on my way to the Lehigh Valley).

Yeah, I'm thinking less BBQ and more snacks - pie, etc.? I'll be coming from a lunch and probably have no need to have a big meal, especially if it's not good... maybe I'll drive out of my way to Thurmont to check out this Shamrock place and see if it's worth it.

I posted in the intrepid traveler forum, but just to cover all my bases ... I'm driving from DC to Harrisburg, PA tomorrow (and back) and will have time to stop off for snacks on the way

Well, the Shamrock is always packed, but I have never gone in. The Cozy, also in Thurmont, is also always packed and is best regarded as a period piece - fascinating, but the food is only so-so.

Lots of farm stands - Those are always good. (I just made this drive earlier this week. Seriously, the farm stands had a lot of awesome stuff.)

Well, the Shamrock is always packed, but I have never gone in. The Cozy, also in Thurmont, is also always packed and is best regarded as a period piece - fascinating, but the food is only so-so.

Lots of farm stands - Those are always good. (I just made this drive earlier this week. Seriously, the farm stands had a lot of awesome stuff.)

Farm stands - that sounds promising. Along any road in particular? It seems there are many ways to get from here to Harrisburg :)

Farm stands - that sounds promising. Along any road in particular? It seems there are many ways to get from here to Harrisburg :)

I used to drive that way a lot, but haven't for many years. Anyway, unless you have lots of time on your hands to do the back roads, there are really only two choices---up 270 to Frederick then US 15, or I-95 to Balto then up I-83. I suggest 270-15 unless you are starting much closer to I-95N. The latter has the additional advantage that US15, not being interstate, is more likely to offer farm stand and other pull-offs. As to places to snack, I never found much other than what has been mentioned already. But there certainly are spots along the way where you can try serendipity. Emmitsburg Md. just before the PA line would certainly be one possibility--that's where Cubby's is.

If you do have time to explore back roads, they abound in the area you'll be passing through. The drive from Thurmont to Blue Ridge Summit Pa (Md 550) is particularly scenic, and there (hopefully still) is a good farm stand in Sibillasville.

Emmitsburg Md. just before the PA line would certainly be one possibility--that's where Cubby's is.

I stopped there for lunch on my way to Harrisburg last summer and was underwhelmed, to say the least. The pulled pork was flabby and without any smoke flavor. And the prices were high. I asked if I could substitute coleslaw for the french fries and was told "sure." When the bill came, I was charged for a side of coleslaw, even though the fries had not been on the plate. The service was indifferent--I was ignored for so long that I had to get up to find hot sauce even though there was only one other customer in the place. No manager on site to complain to.

Along any road in particular?

Well, last week I went up 270 to 15. As they build, it is getting more interstate-like, but it isn't there yet.

If you want the really slow road, you can go up Georgia, which is route 97 and goes all the way to Gettysburg, then get on 15.

Wave hi to me on the road tomorrow, as we are driving up to Harrisburg as well.

I270-I15 is the easiest way to go. As others have mentioned, there will probably be some roadside stands along I15, usually north of Thurmont and into Pennsylvania. We usually make the trip straight through, as we try to time it around our daughter's naptime, so we haven't had a chance to explore as we used to. There is also a Sheetz in Thurmont, if you are into the MTO thing.

Sad to say, my experience is that most roadside stands can't hold a candle to the stuff at a good DC farmer's market.

On the other hand, swinging wide through Hagerstown brings you to the Hagerstown farmer's market, a determinedly pre-yuppie establishment that offers a wide variety of odd pork products for breakfast (Pon Haus anyone?) and whatever the local Amish have brought in.

Sad to say, my experience is that most roadside stands can't hold a candle to the stuff at a good DC farmer's market.

On the other hand, swinging wide through Hagerstown brings you to the Hagerstown farmer's market, a determinedly pre-yuppie establishment that offers a wide variety of odd pork products for breakfast (Pon Haus anyone?) and whatever the local Amish have brought in.

Also baked good likes whoopie pies!

Wave hi to me on the road tomorrow, as we are driving up to Harrisburg as well.

I270-I15 is the easiest way to go. As others have mentioned, there will probably be some roadside stands along I15, usually north of Thurmont and into Pennsylvania. We usually make the trip straight through, as we try to time it around our daughter's naptime, so we haven't had a chance to explore as we used to. There is also a Sheetz in Thurmont, if you are into the MTO thing.

Are you going to my cousin's bridal shower too?!?

I'm guessing not... :)

Well, perhaps I'll just drive up and back, and get my fix of deliciousness at my very own farmers' market here in DC on Sunday. Oh well...

I've heard the York farmer's market, which is on Saturdays, is cool. You might find some good snacks there.

And don't forget Tröegs :)

Oh, Chris. I've got Troegs on the list for either tomorrow, or when I return to H'burg in two weeks.

Or both...

Whatever you do, do not stop here. It may be packed, but trust me, it's not packed with people who care about good food.

Not even for pie to go? excellent info, thanks for preventing me from an unnecessary trip out of my way......

I recall that a place in Thurmont was known for serving "broasted" chicken -- remember Whitey's in Arlington (now Tallulah)? Google revealed that the Thurmont Kountry Kitchen received the Broaster Company's Golden Chicken Award in 2005. I'm not sure if the Kountry Kitchen is still in business and I've never been there to vouch for it, but it might be worth investigating.

Catoctin Mountain Orchard in Thurmont -- right on US 15 -- has tons of great produce and excellent PIE! Definitely worth a stop.