Last Minute Date Night... during Restaurant Week!

reverbbrad

The wife and I are going on our first sitter-powered date night ever on Friday. Of course, we made these plans from planet busy, so didn't find out that it's restaurant week until afterward. I mean really: Friday! RW! Doh!!!

And so, of course everything is booked up - at least, every restaurant that's participating is in RW is.

I'm looking for suggestions on dining contra restaurant week madness. Here's what I am hoping:

1. Proximity: Dine in Arlington, DC, or nearby northern Virginia.

2. Kinda Quiet/Mellow, empasis on service. Even if I could score an RW reservation, I'd be hesitant about the crowds. I'm hoping for a good non-RW option - which might have the added bonus of being a little quieter than usual?

3. Price is not that important, short of, say, the tasting room at Restaurant Eve.

We need the night out without the little beastie, even if it ends up being milkshakes at Lost Dog (which are a fine thing), but I am hoping we can do something a bit more romantic.

Suggestions?

The wife and I are going on our first sitter-powered date night ever on Friday. Of course, we made these plans from planet busy, so didn't find out that it's restaurant week until afterward. I mean really: Friday! RW! Doh!!!

And so, of course everything is booked up - at least, every restaurant that's participating is in RW is.

I'm looking for suggestions on dining contra restaurant week madness. Here's what I am hoping:

1. Proximity: Dine in Arlington, DC, or nearby northern Virginia.

2. Kinda Quiet/Mellow, empasis on service. Even if I could score an RW reservation, I'd be hesitant about the crowds. I'm hoping for a good non-RW option - which might have the added bonus of being a little quieter than usual?

3. Price is not that important, short of, say, the tasting room at Restaurant Eve.

We need the night out without the little beastie, even if it ends up being milkshakes at Lost Dog (which are a fine thing), but I am hoping we can do something a bit more romantic.

Suggestions?

I do not believe that Minh's participates in Restaurant Week. I do not know your criteria for romantic, but it is a damn good restaurant.

I would consider just sitting at the bar at either CityZen or Corduroy -- which have special, low-cost bar menus -- or Marcel's, where you get the full menu treatment. It can be a little tricky; you might call ahead to see if the bar seats are filled so you don't arrive and find yourself shut out. Marcel's has a few tables in their bar area and the piano player adds a nice "date night" vibe.

Actually,now that I look, it appears that neither of these restaurants is participating in restaurant week so you might be able to book a table if you're feeling flush.

I would consider just sitting at the bar at either CityZen or Corduroy -- which have special, low-cost bar menus -- or Marcel's, where you get the full menu treatment. It can be a little tricky; you might call ahead to see if the bar seats are filled so you don't arrive and find yourself shut out. Marcel's has a few tables in their bar area and the piano player adds a nice "date night" vibe.

Actually,now that I look, it appears that neither of these restaurants is participating in restaurant week so you might be able to book a table if you're feeling flush.

I was the only diner at the bar at Corduroy last night, and had a three course menu for $30 (available year-round at that price, btw), laughing at the people who were out getting ripped off for Restaurant Week (get the red snapper bisque, fish of the day, and whatever dessert fancies you).

I had booked a reservation for New Heights last night, not thinking about restaurant week. I would highly recommend heading there as around 745 pm our table of 4 was one of about 5 in the dining room. Service was excellent, the environment low key, and the food was excellent.

Taking a quick look at opentable it appears they have a good amount of availability this Friday.

Mrs ReverbBrad here -

Key success points would be:

- quietish - I often have to yell to be heard at home, and I need a break

- excellent service - I spend my days in service of my tiny master, and need fussing over

- really good food - we're still eating well, but no half-assed, frozen food, sauce in a can nightmares.

- good cost to value - we don't mind paying for a good experience, but it better not be expensive and suck

- not too hard to get in and out - this the inaugural date night, and my worried mommy brain is concerned something will be wrong, wrong, wrong

- civilized fellow patrons - no yapping on the cell phone, drunken carousing, or other naughty behavior. I have that at home, too.

If you want to stay close by in Arlington, given the proximity and first time with a sitter-jitters, the places that come to mind are (in no particular order):

Ray's the Steak

Me Jana

Present

Tallula (service can be iffy here but call me a Chef Koslow devotee)

Rustico in Ballston (won't be super quiet, but still not raise the voice talking annoying)

Portobello's (but it's been a long while since I've been here, so I am unsure if the food is still solid)

Domaso (but not sure how it's been lately here either)

Screwtop (have never been, but people here like it)?

I'd suggest you go to Tallula. I'd also call ahead and tell them your situation and that you'd like their tasting menu with different dishes for each of you. You'd be surprised at how good the food and wines and service is. This is our favorite option and BK is one fine chef.

Screwtop is down the street, and quite nice overall, although I don't know how serious wine lovers would feel about their list. They have several small snacks and plates, all very nice, but not quite what we're looking for. They're also pretty baby friendly in the early evening, so little ReverbBeezy has been several times.

We've got a serious hate on Rustico in Ballston - we went at opening and they acted like they just couldn't be bothered. Not all. As in, we arrived 10 minutes before dinner seating to a completely empty dining room and no line and staff staring into space, and they wouldn't seat us because the dining room wasn't open. Now, I understand there are things to do, but 10 minutes with staff twiddling their thumbs seems silly.

I'll weigh in with another vote for Corduroy. It's quiet and elegant, with excellent food and service. The parking situation can be a little tricky, though. They have a valet but we don't always have the best luck with that. If you feel like you need to leave quickly, that might be a concern, but it otherwise it seems to meet your requirements. If you can, see if you get one of the small side booths. Perfect for a date night. (Tom Sietsema says that they are Table Nos. 21, 24 and 41.)