Birth Year Wines

Depending on one's attitude towards Nixon and/or the Vietnam war it might have been a very shitty year.

Am I the only one who thinks kirite was talking about wine? In the entire decade, only 1965 is worse worldwide for finding a birth-year wine to drink.

Am I the only one who thinks kirite was talking about wine? In the entire decade, only 1965 is worse worldwide for finding a birth-year wine to drink.

'63 was no gem either. I recall buying '63 2nd growths and equivalent, in 1971, in NYC, specifically at 67 Liquor Shop, for $24 a CASE. We got them for everyday drinking. Worth $2 per bottle even then. Cos d'Estornel, Calon Segur, Lynch Bages, stuff like that. I still remember the guy wheeling 5-6 cases out to my car in a single run of the hand truck, all packed in wood.

We drank a lot of wine in those days.

'63 was no gem either. I recall buying '63 2nd growths and equivalent, in 1971, in NYC, specifically at 67 Liquor Shop, for $24 a CASE. We got them for everyday drinking. Worth $2 per bottle even then. Cos d'Estornel, Calon Segur, Lynch Bages, stuff like that. I still remember the guy wheeling 5-6 cases out to my car in a single run of the hand truck, all packed in wood.

We drank a lot of wine in those days.

No gem, but a GREAT port year (and by extension, a very good birth year since port is one of the most long-lived wines).

No gem, but a GREAT port year (and by extension, a very good birth year since port is one of the most long-lived wines).

That's true, actually. I still have a bit of '63 Crofts down in the basement. Need to check that out.

In the spirit of this new topic, let me say I once had a tiny taste of a Lafite from my father's birth year (1911), and with a friend once shared a bottle from mine (1943, said to have been "the best of the war years." ) I also laid in a supply of my daughter's birth year (1983 Cos d'Estornel), hopefully to be served at her wedding reception, but that day remains unscheduled so far.

I also laid in a supply of my daughter's birth year (1983 Cos d'Estornel), hopefully to be served at her wedding reception, but that day remains unscheduled so far.

I love the 83's, I think that in some cases it is superior to the much touted 82 vintage - I prefer the 83 Margaux over 82, though if anyone is offering the latter in an attempt to change my mind, I would be happy to indulge them.

As for the original year mentioned, it was actually a decent year in Gascony, and as the only age worthy wine based beverage they make is Armagnac, I do have a 1969 Bas Armagnac that is quite lovely.

As for the original year mentioned, it was actually a decent year in Gascony, and as the only age worthy wine based beverage they make is Armagnac, I do have a 1969 Bas Armagnac that is quite lovely.

There is a wonderful restaurant in Bordeaux called La Tupina with an Armagnac collection that goes back in consecutive years to the 19th century. After dinner they will encourage you to order one from your birth year.

There is a wonderful restaurant in Bordeaux called La Tupina with an Armagnac collection that goes back in consecutive years to the 19th century. After dinner they will encourage you to order one from your birth year.

Did you do it, and if so, how was it?

'65 was a disaster in Bordeaux, but luckily for me, for my 25th birthday, I ordered a bottle of Beaulieu Vineyards "George de Latour" Private Reserve 1965 from K&L wine and spirits in Los Angeles, and had it overnighted to me. I then stood it up for two solid weeks in a bar refrigerator set to the warmest setting (around 50-55 degrees). I then decanted it before serving, down to about a half-inch from the bottom of the bottle, and it was superb. 100% Cabernet Sauvignon in those days. Just plain lovely.

The only other 1965 California Cabernet that I've heard of being any good was the Charles Krug "Cesare Mondavi" bottling, but I've never had it.

'65 was a disaster in Bordeaux, but luckily for me...

Wow. So this sound like I, another one born in 65, should perhaps decide that I'm never getting a birth year wine. I could move on to graduation wine, wedding date wine, stuff like that. Perhaps I should?

Wow. So this sound like I, another one born in 65, should perhaps decide that I'm never getting a birth year wine. I could move on to graduation wine, wedding date wine, stuff like that. Perhaps I should?

I always tell people born from January 1, 1965 through September 30, 1965 that life begins at conception, and then send them to the right bank.

As for those born in the last quarter? You're fucked either way unless you're a giraffe (*). :)

(*) Of course you wouldn't be here right now if you were (**).

Today's gestation and life expectancy lesson brought to you by DonRocks.

(**) They also tend not to read or type very well; I've always suggested to them that they forego the wine and stick with a longneck (***).

(***) I am sorry.

Maybe opt for a birth year scotch instead?

Maybe opt for a birth year scotch instead?

Nah, not a scotch drinker, and I haven't seen years on Irish Whiskey. Would be a good idea for the scotch drinker in the house though.

Then again, he was born in 64, so could have wine.

Nah, not a scotch drinker, and I haven't seen years on Irish Whiskey. Would be a good idea for the scotch drinker in the house though.

Then again, he was born in 64, so could have wine.

Be careful what you wish for. As it happens, it appears that there was an Old Midleton bottling of the 1964 vintage, the only one, bottled from a single lost cask in 1994 as a 30-year-old whiskey: Dungourney pure pot still

preview_product_72.jpg

FWIW, Midleton still carries a bottling year on the label, but not a production year (it's a blend).

another one born in 65, should perhaps decide that I'm never getting a birth year wine.

Or a bottle of bourbon. Very Old Fitzgerald, barreled in 1957; "expressly for [my father]" is on the label.

eta: apologies, I don't know how to rotate that picture.

post-554-0-86936000-1301503743_thumb.jpg