Late Night Dinner in DC

vanderlj

Hi All,

I moved away from DC in the last year, but will be back in town briefly on a stopover from the airport on a Saturday night in the next month. We won't be available for Dinner until 10:30 or later, but I'm looking for a fun, late-night dinner spot (preferably on the red line or close to it - will be staying at at friends near friendship heights) on Saturday. We're just looking for some place that will still be serving good food at that hour - I didn't do late-night dining too much when I lived there, so I'm at a loss except for Bistro Du Coin, and am not too excited by that... Any new place that's worth checking out for late-night? (at the bar is totally fine, but don't want to be the only ones eating)

Thanks!

Dining after 10:30 is tough in this town.

It seem to recall that Rasika serves high-end Indian food food to beautiful people late at night near the Red Line. Call well in advance as it fills quick.

Masa 14 serves fine food to hip people near the Green Line very late. At some point they switch to a late-night menu but I am not hip enough to have experienced that transition first-hand, despite some new ink.

The Old Ebbitt Grill serves mediocre food to normal people in button-down shirts somewhat near the Red and Blue Lines and is a perfectly respectable place to sop up a martini and three or four glasses of red wine with a bacon cheeseburger or salad with apples and blue cheese. And don't forget the raw bar.

Annie's Paramount serves bad food to gay people (and their friends and neighbors) near the Red Line and has few culinarily redeeming features save that the drinks are strong and everyone always seems to be having a good time.

The Old Ebbitt Grill serves mediocre food to normal people in button-down shirts somewhat near the Red and Blue Lines and is a perfectly respectable place to sop up a martini and three or four glasses of red wine with a bacon cheeseburger or salad with apples and blue cheese. And don't forget the raw bar.

Which, at that time of night, might be having their late-night happy hour of half-price raw bar...

They don't do that on the weekends, though.

Hanks Oyster Bar in East Dupont is open until midnight and has a weekend raw bar Happy Hour from 11pm to midnight. Small subdued crowd the one time I was there that late, albeit in the winter.

damn, those deep fried whole shrimps are gooood..

Better than that are the LIVE shrimp, which they steam and have back on the table in 3 minutes. In this place, if you make friends with the waitress, you can go fishing in the tanks around the wall. Think Lobster XO, mahogany clams with black beans and garlic, razor clams.

Kushi serves until 1:00 am on Friday and Saturday. They are on K Street NW between 4th & 5th and near the Mt. Vernon Square metro (green) and Gallery Place metro (green, red, yellow). I'm not sure how late metro runs on weekends. Ardeo + Bardeo also serves late on Saturday nights, and it's right by the metro (Cleveland Park? Woodley Park?) -- on Connecticut Ave. across from the Uptown movie thater. 701 and Zaytinya also serve late. If you look on Open Table, there are a surprising number of places with tables available after 11 pm on a Saturday night.