Texting at the Table

Waitman

Because nothing is more annoying than only being able to eavesdrop on half of a conversation. B)

I am confident that this is the pet peeve of people who complain the loudest about cell phone talkers in public places. It grates on them that they can't eavesdrop. No kidding.

I am confident that this is the pet peeve of people who complain the loudest about cell phone talkers in public places. It grates on them that they can't eavesdrop. No kidding.

It grates on me because people on cell phones are generally louder than people on landlines or people talking to each other.

As many times as I have ridden buses over the years, I can remember only a single conversation I was glad to overhear. I learned something from it. Personally, I just want to be let alone to look at the scenery or read my book/magazine, which is very hard to do when somebody is talking loudly on the phone or otherwise. This whole thread comes down to respecting other people--in a restaurant, on the bus, at the theater, etc. We seem to have a dearth of simple respect. B)

As many times as I have ridden buses over the years, I can remember only a single conversation I was glad to overhear. I learned something from it. Personally, I just want to be let alone to look at the scenery or read my book/magazine, which is very hard to do when somebody is talking loudly on the phone or otherwise. This whole thread comes down to respecting other people--in a restaurant, on the bus, at the theater, etc. We seem to have a dearth of simple respect. B)

True. It's that same lack of respect that leads some to conclude that people like you are Luddites or old fogies. "Was der Hansel nicht lernt, lernt auch nicht der Hans."

While I'm very much of the "matters matter" AND "it depends" schools of thought, worth pointing out that just like we customers/diners choose how to treat each other and whether and how to use technology when out, so can those who own and operate the restaurants in which we dine.

Ever see a "cell free zone" sign in a place and then realized you had no signal? Maybe you wrote that off to thick walls or distance from a cell tower given your table was next to the coatroom? Sometimes, it's something else

While I'm very much of the "matters matter" AND "it depends" schools of thought, worth pointing out that just like we customers/diners choose how to treat each other and whether and how to use technology when out, so can those who own and operate the restaurants in which we dine.

Ever see a "cell free zone" sign in a place and then realized you had no signal? Maybe you wrote that off to thick walls or distance from a cell tower given your table was next to the coatroom? Sometimes, it's something else

if that's the case, it's actually illegal unless the federal government is the one doing it, and even then it's only legal in certain circumstances.