TemptAsian Dinner, December 29th

mongo

Mongo and I have been in touch and he wants to try Temptasian.  We can figure out transportation when we get closer (I am sure someone can do a pickup at the Pentagon City Metro if necessary).  Stay tuned for details.

Stop creating problems Mike :)

I'm always eager to revisit TemptAsian.

okay, party people, it is confirmed: dinner at temptasian on the 29th. drinks after. we will not be able to begin before 7 pm and will need a ride or directions.

who's in? who's out?

I believe that I am in and can offer transport.

I will confirm tomorrow.

As mdt will attest, my car will fit one normal size person in the front and one extremely skinny person to share the back seat with Peanut's throne.

okay, party people, it is confirmed: dinner at temptasian on the 29th. drinks after. we will not be able to begin before 7 pm and will need a ride or directions.

who's in? who's out?

I'd like to join you for the dinner sector. I may skip the drinks part, if that's OK. I'm driving from Gtown and have room.

we will accept the offer of a ride from heather--a large van sounds good (i have a rather gigantic arse). plus there's the possibility of neil diamond.

heather: 7pm in the lobby of our hotel? the doubletree at the address upthread. i don't know how many combos of tall indian man and short korean-american woman there will be but to be on the safe side i'll have a copy of "turning the tables" between my teeth.

look forward to meeting you all (yes, al dente as well).

Where to for drinks afterwards? Annandale ain't exactly party central.

heather, who has backed out of dinner, and i have talked about drinks somewhere in the vicinity of our hotel--no place has been named yet though. when do you think we're likely to be back in that end of town post-dinner?

heather, who has backed out of dinner, and i have talked about drinks somewhere in the vicinity of our hotel--no place has been named yet though. when do you think we're likely to be back in that end of town post-dinner?

You'd be back to your cardboard box over the heating vent within 1/2 hour of leaving TemptAsian.

Viridian is over near there. It's a slick new joint with a few wines by the glass that won't break the bank. Nice bar.

Well, Prof Jones told me to name a place and gave me his hotel number, but hasn't set up his mailbox for me to leave him a message. :) I suggest that all interested parties head to Bistrot du Coin after dinner. Scott and I will be there around 9:30. The nutty prfessor has my cell phone number if more coordination is needed.

Well, Prof Jones told me to name a place and gave me his hotel number, but hasn't set up his mailbox for me to leave him a message.   :)    I suggest that all interested parties head to Bistrot du Coin after dinner.  Scott and I will be there around 9:30.  The nutty prfessor has my cell phone number if more coordination is needed.

Yes ma'am. Will do.

BTW - for whoever is keeping count, it looks like I am not going to be +1 after all. I'll just be 1.

Edited by bilrus

We are still going to dinner at Temptasian though for those who were planning to meet us there. For now the plan is to arrive at around 7:30ish-depending on traffic.

Would someone be willing to call the restaurant and let them know a large group is coming at that time?

How many are we for dinner?

Did a quick run through of attendees.

I count firm committments from:

JPW

hillvalley

StephenB

mdt

bilrus

and, of course, mongo

Any others?

Let's put a noon cutoff on attendees. I'll call the restaurant after that with a number.

Did a quick run through of attendees.

I count firm committments from:

JPW

hillvalley

StephenB

mdt

bilrus

and, of course, mongo

Any others?

Let's put a noon cutoff on attendees. I'll call the restaurant after that with a number.

I would really like to go... I probably can get there right around 7:30. I like responding at the last minute! :)

Skipped out on BdC after dinner at TemptAsian, but we had a good meal and it was nice to meet Mongo and Mrs. Mongo.

Here is what we ate:

Apps

Ground Fish Rolls with Cilantro

Spicy Beef Rolls

Baby Wontons in Chili Oil

"Anesthesia" Beef

Picked Mustard with Shredded Pork Soup

Mains

Ma Po Bean Curd

Roasted Fish

Smoked Duck

Tong Po Roasted Pork (Belly)

Spicy Fish in Hot Pot

Asparagus with Crystal Shrimp

To echo mdt it was very nice to meet mongo and Mrs. mongo.

We had a fun group.

The appetizers were uniformly excellent. The weakest of them was probably the spicy beef rolls, which were merely good. The entrees were more hit or miss. The best were the two fish dishes with the ma po coming in third. Spicy, but far from the hottest Szechuan that I've had.

To echo mdt it was very nice to meet mongo and Mrs. mongo.

We had a fun group.

The appetizers were uniformly excellent. The weakest of them was probably the spicy beef rolls, which were merely good. The entrees were more hit or miss. The best were the two fish dishes with the ma po coming in third. Spicy, but far from the hottest Szechuan that I've had.

Good time seeing old and new freinds.

I agree with JPW's sentiments about the appetizers being better on the whole than the entrees (although I did really like the beef rolls). In the end I was a little disappointed with the food.

That may be partly attributable to the order the dishes were served in. We started with the crisp and pleasantly greasy ground fish rolls and the luscious wontons in chili oil, both of which proved to be my favorite two dishes of the night. And the two outstanding fish entrees were served first so the meal ended on some bland, unispiried notes with the tame shrimp dish and the pork belly dish that needed to be hotter or sweeter or something other than sticky.

I also wonder if it might not be attributable to not knowing the secret code to getting the truly hot stuff (or is that all a big urban legend?). I kept waiting for something to really heat me up and it never came. While I like hot foods I'm not exactly a chili head either. I just went in looking for something that wasn't there last night. Even the "anesthesia" beef did little more than tickle my tounge with black pepper flavor.

Many of the dishes were vibrant, with different levels and varieties of spice, but I just wanted a little more.

Skipped out on BdC after dinner at TemptAsian, but we had a good meal and it was nice to meet Mongo and Mrs. Mongo.

Here is what we ate:

Apps

Ground Fish Rolls with Cilantro

Spicy Beef Rolls

Baby Wontons in Chili Oil

"Anesthesia" Beef

Picked Mustard with Shredded Pork Soup

Mains

Ma Po Bean Curd

Roasted Fish

Smoked Duck

Tong Po Roasted Pork (Belly)

Spicy Fish in Hot Pot

Asparagus with Crystal Shrimp

Well, the Mongo Joneses were a big disappointment. On the basis of pre-publicity, I thought he, at least, would be as spicy as the H-20 at Joe's. But it turns out they are a pleasant, demure couple with excellent manners. Isn't it often the case that people who write scathingly live docilely?

As for the meal, one of our group said she was looking for some relatively bland orders among the fiery ones. So the Crystal Shrimp was pedestrian. And what the roasted pork lacked in flavor it made up in slipperiness. But the two fish dishes, appetizer and main course, hit the spot with unexpected richness, as did the mustard-pork soup. And of course the wontons in chili met their own high standard.

In the end, I don't think we raised the spiciness rating of the known world, but both the food and the company were fun and easy to take.

Well, the Mongo Joneses were a big disappointment.  On the basis of pre-publicity, I thought he, at least, would be as spicy as the H-20 at Joe's.  But it turns out they are a pleasant, demure couple with excellent manners. 

it is true that i am always a big disappointment but this is the first time i've been called demure. i must remember to hurl some dung at stephen if we ever meet again.

nice to meet those we met, and sorry to miss some that i'd hoped to meet. dinner was quite good, on the whole, with highs and mediums (no real lows).

the post-dinner activity at bistro du coin and then raven (?) was a lot of fun as well, even if i was dragged away from the bar before my jukebox selections played.