TemptAsian Dinner, December 29th

mongo

hi, i'm mongo jones. you may remember me from such movies as "tonight we eat, tomorrow we puke" and "daddy, why doesn't that man wear pants?"

i'll be in dc for 3 days at the end of the month--dec 27-30, to be exact--and am hoping to get some recommendations for meals that are cheap, yet full of goodness. ideally, in the vicinity of the omni shoreham hotel, where the convention i will be attending will be centered, or near 1515 rhode island avenue nw, which is where the heat vent over which i will be sleeping is located.

my schedule at the convention is still up in the air, and will likely not be finalized till about dec 23, but if any here are interested in plying me with expensive food and drink i will theoretically be interested. less theoretically, i will also accept cash to stay away from your part of town.

My fellow Rockwellians. We are in the presence of greatness. A welcoming committee must be formed right away.

Does anyone have a red carpet? And more importantly, does it match the curtains?

Al Dente, get those assless chaps to the cleaners ASAP. Looks like you might finally have an occasion to wear them.

"

i'll be in dc for 3 days at the end of the month--dec 27-30, to be exact--and am hoping to get some recommendations for meals that are cheap, yet full of goodness. ideally, in the vicinity of the omni shoreham hotel, where the convention i will be attending will be centered, or near 1515 rhode island avenue nw, which is where the heat vent over which i will be sleeping is located.

Komi

He'll blow his spending budget in half a meal.

Check out Mongo Jones' very own site:  Mongomania.

[membership work productivity will now plummet for the day]

Thank you crackers. Now how in the hell am I going to get my paper written? I guess Mongo will have to buy me a drink to make it up to me. Will DC be the same after his trip? :lol:

thanks, all, for the welcome--my cup runneth over (not that since the "accident" that takes very much, but still).

al dente, jpw, heather, hillvalley--these are names that suggest this forum is populated by freaks, and the ensuing references to things like "new big wong" (presumably a sex-toy mart) and "temptasian" (doubtless an opium den) confirm this. some of the other names i don't recognize but you seem genially deranged, so it is, as they say on the street, all good. it seems doubtful that people such as you are gainfully employed so perhaps the fact that my visit is in the middle of the week, and that i cannot confirm the evening i will be available (though it seems likely that it may be the 28th) will not be a barrier to possibly meeting.

i must, however, disown all connection to mongomania. it is a nasty, evil site and no one should visit it.

Maybe we should not suggest Indique. :lol:

[from Mongo's blog]

i remained there for 10 years, not getting and then getting my degree, and more importantly discovering the most glorious chinese, korean, mexican, thai and central american cuisines. along the way i also discovered just how bad indian food in the u.s can be and just how excited many americans are willing to get about it (but doubtless there'll be more on this in the days to come).

This board should have a political thread similar to his; it would be interesting to know the various opinions of Bush that different people have who post on here.

I can't think of a better, or faster, way to wreck the camaraderie which develops every time Rockwellians get together. Eventhough we generally avoid discussing politics (or religion, for that matter), it just isn't that hard to find out where some people stand, but the realization that we aren't all on the same political page keeps us minding our manners. There are a zillion websites and blogs for every political persuasion, so I'll bet 99% of the membership here appreciate this politics-free zone.

I think he means ply-'wood'. Has anybody here got wood?

I don't think I want to know the answer to that question.

How about: drinks at Firefly, then more drinks somewhere else, then finish up the evening with drinks in yet another location?

And maybe some food somewhere along the way?

How about:  drinks at Firefly, then more drinks somewhere else, then finish up the evening with drinks in yet another location? 

i like the way you think. just as long as the first port of call is not too difficult to reach from the vicinity of the address i posted above.

It's easy.  One metro stop away (because a cab will kill your budget).  The Omni vicinity (aka Woodley Park) doesn't have much worth exploring from a culinary point of view.

This is certainly true. However, you are right by a subway stop which will give you access to many wonderful destinations. I suspect there are many, many "Rockwellians" who will be glad to instruct you, and maybe hold your hand on the way, to the "wonders" of DC dining.

it seems doubtful that people such as you are gainfully employed so perhaps the fact that my visit is in the middle of the week, and that i cannot confirm the evening i will be available (though it seems likely that it may be the 28th) will not be a barrier to possibly meeting.

Despite the fact that I'm painfully employed, I'll do my best to attend any mongomaniacal festivities during your mercifully short stay. Will Helen Highwater (my fingers are crossed, and I'm certain her legs are not) accompany you?

I suspect there are many, many "Rockwellians" who will be glad to instruct you, and maybe hold your hand on the way, to the "wonders" of DC dining.

Are we going to play "teacher" and "student" with mongo? I may have to bring my ruler.

Firefly is one metro stop away, and any other destination will most likely be easily accessible.

How about:  drinks at Firefly, then more drinks somewhere else, then finish up the evening with drinks in yet another location? 

Firefly is a delightful place if you want to spend the hours knocking back $11 dollar martinis with legal professionals in a restaurant that employs a decorator. But if you're in that neighborhood anyway and you've a mind for affordable, yet Amis-level binge-drinking, you might consider a couple of carafes of cheap Greek wine at Zorba's, followed by a steak frites at Bistro du Coin and a desparate attempt to shove crumpled bills into an aging stripper's garter as the ground beneath her feet -- or is it your feet? -- sways in disconcerting patterns, at the Royal Palace.

Not that I recommend it, but my husband seems to think it's a fine way to spend the evening. :lol:

Firefly is a delightful place if you want to spend the hours knocking back $11 dollar martinis with legal professionals in a restaurant that employs a decorator.

I was just thinking it's always nice to start an evening with one of Diabolical Derek's creations, then go downhill from there.

What about Townhouse? Maybe the tattooed waitress is still there.

and a desparate attempt to shove crumpled bills into an aging stripper's garter as the ground beneath her feet -- or is it your feet? -- sways in disconcerting patterns, at the Royal Palace. 

i don't mind if anyone's desperate or if the bills are crumpled--i'll take all the money you can shove at me.

i leave it to the locals to iron out the details. i'll add that while any food consumed should be broadly edible, the point of the evening for me will be to meet you guys. i will confirm the date (either the 28th or the 29th) as soon as i can.

Firefly is a delightful place if you want to spend the hours knocking back $11 dollar martinis with legal professionals in a restaurant that employs a decorator.  But if you're in that neighborhood anyway and you've a mind for affordable, yet Amis-level binge-drinking, you might consider a couple of carafes of cheap Greek wine at Zorba's, followed by a steak frites at Bistro du Coin and a desparate attempt to shove crumpled bills into an aging stripper's garter as the ground beneath her feet -- or is it your feet? -- sways in disconcerting patterns, at the Royal Palace. 

Not that I recommend it, but my husband  seems to think it's a fine way to spend the evening.    :lol:

Not that there's anything wrong with perfectly crafted martinis or legal professionals or charmingly decorated restaurants. Appears I was channeling a smart mouth member of the family. :P

i don't know if it ever made the main menu but bhasin once featured my mother's recipe for alu-gobi in his lunch buffet. apparently, it was quite popular. unfortunately, i don't think i'll be able to make it out to his place on this trip.

I don't know. Would you rather do Bombay Curry House, or TemptAsian? BBhasin's place is much closer and all of those other blokes have been to TemptAsian a bunch of time but I'll bet most of them have never been to BBhasin's place. It's all up to you. We locals have alternate means of transport than Metro.

We locals have alternate means of transport than Metro.

W-E-L-L, not exactly the case. Some of us DON'T have alternate transporation and live within WALKING distance of where Mongo is going to be located. Not to throw a "monkey" wrench into the system, or anything. :)

oops, i didn't realize i'd set off a mini-controversy. actually, we'll be at an indian dinner the other night so would prefer temptasian this night (especially since we're starved for decent sichuan in denver/boulder). bhasin, i hope to see you whenever i'm in dc next (if you don't come to said indian dinner the previous night, that is).

will confirm the night for temptasian within a week.