Friending Chefs on Facebook

Ericandblueboy

For a while (till it became to much of a time suck) I followed a few chefs on twitter. It was actually kind of fun to get into the head of Rick Bayless and read his thoughts throughout the day. This was not a suck up but pretty cool. there was also a pastry chef and a few others I followed. I DID NOT keep following anyone who was just plugging their resturant/ product. Facebook is different, and I am getting a bit tired of it.

For a while (till it became to much of a time suck) I followed a few chefs on twitter. It was actually kind of fun to get into the head of Rick Bayless and read his thoughts throughout the day. This was not a suck up but pretty cool. there was also a pastry chef and a few others I followed. I DID NOT keep following anyone who was just plugging their resturant/ product. Facebook is different, and I am getting a bit tired of it.

There are one or two restaurants I follow on FB and if it gets to be too much, I just block them. I can always go to their fb page to catch updates, or reverse the block if I change my mind. I don't usually use twitter bcuz of the "time sucK" element.

Speaking of the fun of getting in to someone's head, and in contrast to my non-use of twitter, last night when watching H50, they mentioned that Masi Oka was tweeting along with the show. He is a riot! And I highly recommend watching along with his tweets :mellow:

If there's anything I like commercially or want to know more about, I stick to Twitter. I find Facebook is just about the worst venue to "like" any company or celebrity of any fashion. I hate getting my wall clogged up with the useless stuff, and then missing the rare useful info because I "blocked" them on my wall feed. Twitter's just so much easier to ignore the crap.

If there's anything I like commercially or want to know more about, I stick to Twitter. I find Facebook is just about the worst venue to "like" any company or celebrity of any fashion. I hate getting my wall clogged up with the useless stuff, and then missing the rare useful info because I "blocked" them on my wall feed. Twitter's just so much easier to ignore the crap.

Facebook jumped the shark tonight for the last time.

All the pep-rally wannabes that invested so much time on this (soon-to-be) declining medium are going to regret it.

The 140-character limitation of Twitter at least provided a time-suck upper bound (unless, of course, you were Tweeting twenty times a day, in which case you're going to regret that, too, because it's all going to be lost (or captured in some "archive" for future posterity to rediscover, 100 years from now)).

donrockwell.com: then, now, and forever - your posts here will not be lost.

I'm not using twitter that much anymore, but I used to enjoy Rick Bayless's tweets. He was having fun for a while (maybe still is) compressing recipes into 140 characters. I made one of them (a spicy lime ice) for a dinner party and it was a big hit. There was one element of the tweeted recipe I wasn't sure I was deciphering correctly, so I sent him an @message and he responded with the answer.

I've never signed up with Facebook, which means I miss out on information it seems everyone else knows and I can't view photos people post links to if it's not a public page, but I don't want to have to set up and keep up with another site. I especially don't want to have to keep up with another site where the features, privacy settings, etc. are constantly changing. The Google sites are bad enough for that.

Facebook jumped the shark tonight for the last time.

All the pep-rally wannabes that invested so much time on this (soon-to-be) declining medium are going to regret it.

The 140-character limitation of Twitter at least provided a time-suck upper bound (unless, of course, you were Tweeting twenty times a day, in which case you're going to regret that, too, because it's all going to be lost (or captured in some "archive" for future posterity to rediscover, 100 years from now)).

donrockwell.com: then, now, and forever - your posts here will not be lost.

Yeah, agreed. I guess I spoke a few days too early. It seems their "Top Stories" ridiculousness (as opposed to having the chronological events option before) simply makes it easier for whatever companies/retail things you "liked" to be pushed to the top, which I'm positive was their intention all along. :mellow:

Smart chefs don't suck up to anyone; they pay flacks to do the sucking up for them.

Speaking of which ...

I've had it with, shall we say, <<des grand chefs>> who friend me on Facebook, and then it becomes painfully obvious that their status updates are always written by assistants or publicists.

Fuck Facebook. If you're family, if you went to high school with me, college with me, are an active member of this website, have called or written me in the past year, or have actually been my friend (not a Facebook "friend," but a friend friend) in the past, then great - you're my friend, and I love seeing what you're up to; otherwise ... let's just say I plan to reach 500 Facebook friends before I reach 1,000, i.e., please don't take it personally when I un-friend you because I promise you that it isn't personal. I'm SICK of people marketing themselves on what used to be an enjoyable platform.

Let the game of Whack-a-Mole begin, one annoying status update at a time.