Signature Cocktails

My wife's birthday is coming up, and I thought it would be a great idea to serve a "signature cocktail" at the party.

Sadly, I know nothing about mixology.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where I can go for help?

If the answer is "here," then: the main dish of the party is going to be chili, and the theme is going to be ancient treasure (so think gold, dark brown, blue).

I suggest Dave Wondrich's Killer Cocktails book. It is a nice resource because he introduces each "type" or category of drink with basic proportions prior to giving recipes for the classic drinks. I bought it a few years ago and found it was an excellent place to begin understanding ratios of ingredients, and now I can mix a pretty good house passionfruit daiquiri.

My wife's birthday is coming up, and I thought it would be a great idea to serve a "signature cocktail" at the party.

If the answer is "here," then: the main dish of the party is going to be chili, and the theme is going to be ancient treasure (so think gold, dark brown, blue).

Here.

How about some sort of cocktail punch so you can make a batch or two. Sadly I have no recipes to offer.

I'd head down to Columbia Firehouse in Old Town and talk to Steve Warner (Steve W. here), who manages the bar there. He is absolutely amazing with cocktails, loves experimenting with them, and loves talking about them. He taught a few great cocktail making classes there this past spring, too.

I'd head down to Columbia Firehouse in Old Town and talk to Steve Warner (Steve W. here), who manages the bar there. He is absolutely amazing with cocktails, loves experimenting with them, and loves talking about them. He taught a few great cocktail making classes there this past spring, too.

Seconded.

How about some sort of rum punch, w/ lt & dark rum, blue curacao, & her favorite fruit juice(s)? For fall, I like a Belladonna, w/ equal parts lt./ dark rum, cranberry, pineapple, & orange juice. (guess you have to work in the blue element-curacao, blueberries?)

Seem like it would go well w/ chili....

Definitely get a punch bowl, I scored mine at a Salvation Army on the way to korean b-b-q. A rum punch would go well, and something with Pimento Allspice Dram would pair well with the chili, methinks. (Also, since it's hard to use more than 1/4 ounce of the stuff in an individual cocktail, you make a decent dent in the bottle when you do a portion for a punch bowl).

A punch bowl also allows you to get fancy with an ice block. Should make as big a one as you can, using a tuperware container or anything that fits in your bowl. Boil your water a couple times, or stir your distilled water several times over the course of an hour, so that you get clear ice instead of cloudy. Fill it halfway and put it in the freezer until semi-solid (hours). At this point, many people put fruits or herbs in the slush for decoration, but no reason why you can't use coins or other "buried treasure" for your theme. Pour the rest of your water to the top of your mold, and put it in your freezer until service time. You'll need to do the block 2-3 days in advance.