Red Line, Mid-Price, New

Waitman

Amazing thing -- a guy from an old job who I really enjoyed working with caught up with me after a decade and we're going to dinner. So, where. Something in the general Proof/Palena Cafe/Poste price and ambiance, but new (to me, at least) and tasty. Metro Center is ground zero, but anything redlineable will work.

ETA:

Likes- Thai, Italian, Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Ethiopian, pretty much any silk road cuisine

Dislike – sushi

Indifferent – steakhouse, seafood, Spanish

Hoods:

Prefer non-Georgetown Northwest DC

Bibiana's?

Good thought but been there. But I hear that if you drop Don's name to the maitre d', you get a special deal, so maybe.... [ducks].

Not new. I didn't go back but I think Waitman's been to Mintwood as well. Elisir? Boqueria?

Have only been to Mintwood for drinks, but I fear that if I make a first visit with a past colleague rather than the present missus, there will be trouble back at the ranch. Elisir might be out of the price range -- but Boqueria is a fine tip, thanks.

Get the salad called Peas, Peas, Peas at Palena Cafe - that's new. :)

No disrespect to Frank & the Rutabakers, but when I get a fresh pea jones my girl anna calls me on the Legume Hotline and I use the same soup recipe my boy Easy uses (or, fling them into pasta with scallops and cream). They always taste better when you shell them yourself.

Have you given Cedar a try? I think it's a stable place to dine and it's walkable. Other walkable place is Bandolero, or maybe cheese it up and go to Hill Country? Pi and get some pizza?

"Stable" seems like faint praise but it looks interesting.

Ripple?

Ripple is old hat, more or less. And my enthusiasm is fading -- as though its price/quality ratio is moving in the wrong direction.

"Stable" seems like faint praise but it looks interesting.

Cedar has been a bit underrated in the past by the press. I had one miss there during Restaurant Week (which is the last time I've been), but have otherwise enjoyed things.

Has anyone tried Pulpo?