Italian Restaurants in NOVA

kirite

Are there any really good Italian restaurants in Northern Virginia? Not pizza places. Thanks.

Villa Mozart, in Fairfax City, is among the best Italian restaurants in the area, and among my favorite restaurants anywhere. Refined, beautifully executed cooking, gracious and professional service, a lovely dining room, restrained prices considering the quality.

So the answer to your question is yes.

Pizzeria Orso is usually excellent for Italian small plates (you can dine very well here without ordering pizza), Villa Mozart is good fine dining, Chef Suyehiro seems to be spending less time in the kitchen at Argia's, and my last two meals there were not up to standards, old-timers like the veal chop at da Domenico.

[The following posts were split into separate threads:

Capri (kirite)]

Not a recommendation but a challenge. Check out either Cafe Oggi or Assaggi Osteria in downtown McLean. I've never been to Cafe Oggi and only been to Assaggi Osteria once, although I've been to the Assaggi in Bethesda twice. One Italian joint we do like in McLean is Capri - they do a decent job with the branzino. It's generally true that McLean doesn't offer much but if no one ever tries the local restaurants, then we'll never know if they're any good.

That's what I mean. That was 10 years ago!

And probably haven't changed much. If they didn't offer something to draw me back, it probably wasn't that outstanding to start with (not that it requires "outstanding" to bring me back...after all, I frequent a few places I wouldn't brag about).

Not a recommendation but a challenge. Check out either Cafe Oggi or Assaggi Osteria in downtown McLean. I've never been to Cafe Oggi and only been to Assaggi Osteria once, although I've been to the Assaggi in Bethesda twice. One Italian joint we do like in McLean is Capri - they do a decent job with the branzino. It's generally true that McLean doesn't offer much but if no one ever tries the local restaurants, then we'll never know if they're any good.

I've tried Cafe Oggi twice since the beginning of the year and was really underwhelmed. But someone told me that it has a new chef. Have not been able to verify. I'll try it again as well as AO and Capri. Challenge accepted. :D

Villa Mozart, in Fairfax City, is among the best Italian restaurants in the area, and among my favorite restaurants anywhere. Refined, beautifully executed cooking, gracious and professional service, a lovely dining room, restrained prices considering the quality.

Seconded.

Seconded.

I'll third the recommendation for Villa Mozart. I love that place! I never get tired of eating there, although I've heard their CD collection so many times I can almost sing along. :D

Around the corner from Villa Mozart is Belissimo. I've never tried it, but I know that Joe H. has written glowingly about it.