Angelico Pizzeria and Cafe, A Local Franchise

Full disclosure, not having grown up in a place known for its pizza, I don't really have the passion for the subject that some of you have. That being said, if I'm eating pizza in DC, my first choice would be 2 Amys's for dine-in, Vace for pick-up and (drum roll please) Angelico's in Tenleytown for delivery.

I really like their pies, especially one that has eggplant, olives and whole cloves of roasted garlic on it - its salty but good.

They also have decent buffalo wings.

So go ahead and call me a rube who wouldn't know a slice of good pizza if someone slapped me in the face with one, I just thought I'd share.....

So go ahead and call me a rube who wouldn't know a slice of good pizza if someone slapped me in the face with one, I just thought I'd share.....

Thanks for pointing them out -- I'll have to give these guys a try. I'm seriously hurting for some decent pizza delivery in that area. It it's bad though, I'll be sure to call you a rube. :)

I haven't tried the pizza yet but have ordered the baked rigatoni.

The portion is huge (comparable to Ohhhs & Ahhhs portions) and surprisingly pretty good. Not what you would get if Nonna was making it but I don't have a Nonna so this is a very acceptable delivery stand in.

Apparently it smelled good enough at lunch the next day because my coworker/neighbor had it delivered the next night :)

Me and the little man ordered the spinach and artichoke and an order of breadsticks last night. Mmm... mmm... garlic herb sauce, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, caramelized onions, spinach, artichokes and feta cheese. The balance of the ingredients is perfect, so none is too strong or overwhelming. The breadsticks are basically glorified pizza crust, but with garlic and Romano cheese, pretty darn tasty.

I don't like their pizza prosciutto. The prosciutto ends up cooking from the heat and becoming dried out and much more baked ham-like.

My wife eats here on occasion and has brought me a slice or two home toa eat. All in all not bad, not great, but decent. When it is reheated in a toaster oven the crust gets a good deal crisper and I like it better that way than when you get it fresh.

This was my favorite delivery while at AU. They use to have a coupon floating around for 2 large two topping pizzas for 14.99 (delivery only) and we used the "OhI have that coupon but I can't find it" routine for a solid year and a half. And they would even let is get premium ingredients like chicken breast and sundried tomato. You can't get better pizza brought to your door around here in my opinion.

Our favorite pizza from there is the Meat Classic, formerly known as the Meat Tease (informally known as the Meat Slut). Bacon and sausage and ham, among other meats, grace this pie.

My main complaint about Angelico is that they don't put their toppings close enough to the edge of the pie, so that most of the toppings end up closer to the center, leaving an outer ring of cheese.

Angelico's is our neighborhood pizza place, and a comfort on those nights when we don't feel like cooking. We like the Angelico Special, which does a really honest job with the toppings, including excellent carmelized onions. We have only had delivery, and never eaten in or tried non-pizza items. It is not NYC, but is far superior to Pizza Bollis, Domino, and other outlets nearby.

I just got a flyer from a new opened Angelico Pizzeria on Georgia Avenue, NW. Will definitely give them a try because all of our current pizza delivery options suck. Online ordering is a plus.

7311 Georgia Ave, NW

Washington, DC 20012

202-248-9111

www.angelicopizzeria.com

From the comments it appears that the AU location is much better than the Alexandria one, or I just got two bum pizzas - both were bland and doughy.

The AU location isn't so hot either. Doughy and bland sound about right from what I remember of the two or three times I've had Angelico. If I have to order take-out pizza (which hasn't happened in a while), I go with Cafe Romeo's.

The AU location isn't so hot either. Doughy and bland sound about right from what I remember of the two or three times I've had Angelico. If I have to order take-out pizza (which hasn't happened in a while), I go with Cafe Romeo's.

we order this fairly often from tenleytown:

Angelico Special Pizza

Tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, Italian sausage, ham, caramelized onions and roasted red peppers

not saying it is out of this world, but considerably better than doughy and bland and also not greasy.

also, considerably better than what's been coming out of the oven at armands lately, even if deep dish is a style you like. they are in such a rush to deliver the pizza they almost forget to cook it.

there's a new angelico near good guys, but haven't tried it.

The Alexandria location is better for take out than delivery, and it's about five minutes from our house. I've never had greasy anything from them, but we tend to order vegetarian pizzas and sandwiches (the portobello sandwich is pretty good), and Mr. lperry likes feta cheese instead of mozzarella, so I guess we don't really order any potentially greasy ingredients. We've been pretty happy with what we get here, and like it better than Pizzaiola, which is the other one close by.

We have had delivery in Silver Spring from the one on Georgia Ave. Most recently tried the Italian Calzone. LIke many of the commenters, while it's nothing out of this world (and I probably would not eat or take out there), it is certainly a better delivery option than many of the alternatives in the Silver Spring area.

My verdict? Overpriced for the quality, not quantity. Simultaneously bland and salty calzone, so large that the outside was brown and crusty while the interior cheese went unmelted. Pesto pasta more alfredo than pesto, and needed a hit of salt & pepper. "Gourmet" spinach and artichoke pizza was the best choice: chewy crust dotted with big hunks of artichoke hearts strewn across a tangle of mushrooms/spinach/onions/tomatoes. Their tomato sauce is far too sweet for my tastes.