Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Tonight was chicken cacciatore, green beans, rice and biscuits.  This week is all about using up the perishables in the fridge, which there aren't many to be honest and there are a few things that I can put into the freezer if not used by the weeks end, but as we don't have a huge amount of food in the fridge, I am hoping to mainly use it all up.

pan-roasted brussels sprouts with bacon (and bacon fat), lots of black pepper, and balsamic vinegar.

It is that time of year...  Last night, dinner for family:

roasted pork tenderloin with apple cider reduction

applesauce

pan-roasted brussels sprouts with bacon (and bacon fat and black pepper, but no balsamic vinegar)

new potatoes with butter and parsley

apple pie with whipped cream

• Like 1

The summer eggplant rut is moving into the fall, although there's probably only enough eggplant for one more meal out in the garden.  I started in June with about 20 eggplant recipes and the intention that I wouldn't make the same thing twice.  Oh well. :)

Night before last: penne caponata

Last night: eggplant in a Thai green curry served over jasmine rice

Last night:

Cranberry walnut bread (Costco) with salted Kerrygold butter
Pan-fried sirloin steak (South Mountain Creamery) with horseradish-lemon-parsley-tarragon compound butter
Wilted baby arugula
Roasted delicata squash slices with carrot-ginger dressing

The sliced steak, squash and arugula looked real nice arranged together on a platter for serving, and we polished off almost all of it.  There was a pound of steak going in, too :ph34r:

Tuesday's dinner was oven-roasted chicken thighs, brown rice, and braised kale with carrot-ginger dressing, an idea I picked up from a blog.  The dressing (also from the blog) was good with all of it.  Wednesday was leftovers of that, plus the last of some cauliflower and cheese sauce still in the refrigerator.

Last night:

Quinoa and gigande bean salad
Crab - avocado quesadillas with scallions, cilantro, neufchátel cheese and jack cheese
Brisket chili with garnishes of avocado, scallions, cilantro, sour cream, and shredded jack cheese

Cranberry-walnut bread

Crab Bisque

Baked chicken drumsticks (with lemon-horseradish-herb compound butter under the skin)

Mashed yukon gold potatoes

No green vegetables, but we had a baby spinach-avocado-grapefruit salad for lunch.

I've never heard of this. Could you please elaborate?

Just pie similar to pumpkin pie, but using cushaw squash instead. Cushaw has a mild, delicate flavor. I think I used this recipe most recently: http://pretendtexasfarmer.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/better-than-pumpkin-cushaw-pie/

Last night: roasted broccoli and spicy stir-fried tofu skin sticks

Tonight: nut loaf with mushroom gravy

Last night's meal came out really well:

Red leaf lettuce, cucumber, radish, and avocado salad; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Mushrooms stuffed with spinach - artichoke dip

Butternut squash - carrot - ginger soup
Fresh salmon croquettes
Leftover brown rice

The croquettes were from a recipe in the Staffmeals from Chanterelle cookbook.  I don't think I've ever made a bad recipe from that book.  The only oddity was that the recipe produced 9 croquettes, not the 6 it was supposed to make.  They were the size of generous hamburger patties as it was.  They would have had to be enormous for the amount of mixture to yield only 6 patties.  Skinning the salmon fillets was challenging, but I didn't ultimately lose too much of the fish.   
  • Like 1

squash and apple soup

baguette with soft sheep milk cheese and this weird sweet condiment (something like saba) I found at Pesca Deli

Found a large, pear-shaped, bluish squash at a farmers market.  Didn't know what to do with it, so I roasted it and used half the pulp for soup.  Now I need to find something to do with the rest of it.

More red leaf lettuce, cucumber, radish, and avocado salad; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Cheesy ground beef penne meal in a skillet  <-- beefaroni, American chop suey kind of thing

In my childhood, my mother used to make cheesy ground beef, tomatoes, and rice in a skillet (the cheese melted on top). Same sort of thing. I loved it, actually, and would still like it. Maybe I'll make that for dinner.

Posole, black bean, and roasted sweet potato tacos seasoned with ancho, chipotle, honey sauce, topped with cilantro, feta, and lime.  There was going to be a jicama orange salad, but I cut into the jicama and it looked as if it had been frozen some time during shipping. 

I'm intrigued by the Food52 recipe for broccoli cooked forever (sans anchovies), probably because it's the only way I've found to make broccoli stalks palatable.  So last night I riffed on it again, this time adding some confit tomatoes I'd made last summer, and lots of percorino Toscano, and tossed the whole thing with fettucine.

Disaster.  I love playing in the kitchen but sometimes my ideas just don't work.

I'm intrigued by the Food52 recipe for broccoli cooked forever (sans anchovies), probably because it's the only way I've found to make broccoli stalks palatable.  So last night I riffed on it again, this time adding some confit tomatoes I'd made last summer, and lots of percorino Toscano, and tossed the whole thing with fettucine.

Disaster.  I love playing in the kitchen but sometimes my ideas just don't work.

Which parts of it didn't work together, or was it the long-cooked element of the broccoli not fitting with the other things?  Or the stalks?  It sounds like a promising experiment.

Last night:

Kale slaw

Leftover salmon croquettes

Sweet potatoes stuffed with pulled pork

I love broccoli stalks. But they absolutely need to be peeled. The peel strips off fairly easily with a knife. The inside of the stalk is crisp and juicy, and can be eaten raw, steamed or sauteed with the florets, grilled roasted or pureed.

I eat broccoli stalks raw, without peeling them.  If I'm shredding them to put them in a slaw, I'll peel them, but otherwise, I skip it.

Night before last, risotto with roasted Sungold tomatoes, finished with goat's cheese

Roasted acorn squash (parbaked and frozen this summer)

La Rioja Alta Vií±a Ardanza Rioja Reserva 2004

Last night, pan-fried risotto cakes topped with poached eggs

Scarlet Nantes carrots roasted with lemon thyme

The rest of the Rioja

Last night, saag paneer (mustard greens and spinach; goat milk paneer), aloo gobhi, aged basmati rice.  No idea if goat milk paneer is authentic, nor do I care: I love the taste.

Tonight will be chicken salad sandwiches, in order to use Friday night's roast chicken leftovers.  I love a good roast chicken but truly can't stand actually roasting one.  Before it was finished there was a miasma of oil throughout the kitchen.

oh, and with respect to that other thread about bottled mayonnaise: why bother?  It is so easy to make and homemade tastes so much better....

Red wine-braised lentils, kale, spinach, and shiitake mushrooms, topped with Portuguese tinned sardines in tomato sauce

I'm not sure how much I liked the sardines on top of this.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as I was hoping.

...oh, and with respect to that other thread about bottled mayonnaise: why bother?  It is so easy to make and homemade tastes so much better....

Two reasons.  One, nostalgia tastes wonderful. :)  Two, I can never use up homemade before half or more of it goes bad, so it feels wasteful.  I'll make homemade when I am having guests or making something that will use it all in one go.

Two reasons.  One, nostalgia tastes wonderful. :)  Two, I can never use up homemade before half or more of it goes bad, so it feels wasteful.  I'll make homemade when I am having guests or making something that will use it all in one go. 

There's no arguing with nostalgia.  I always despised mayonnaise, though, until the first time I made it myself.

WRT your second point, that used to hold me back, too, until I got the hang of it and stopped following recipes.  Now I make just the amount I need.  :)

last night:

(canned) tuna and white bean salad with butter lettuce and spinach, celery, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, olives, avocado, scallions, garlic, capers, lemon, olive oil

pecan pie, made with a butter/vodka crust. the filling was a riff on John Thorne's recipe from _Outlaw Cook_: his biggest innovation is using Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of Karo; second is sucanat raw sugar instead of brown sugar. I didn't have sucanat, but I did have piloncillo, which I believe is the very same thing--unrefined, evaporated sugar cane juice. in any case, the pie turned out delicious, with crispy crust and pecans, and tender custard with great depth of flavor. We had it with whipped cream--tried the "bartender's method" of shaking cream in a cocktail shaker with the spring from a cocktail strainer. Well, it worked, but not as easily as in the video that went viral online, and it was kind of a mess getting the cream out of the spiral wire of the spring. Not sure I'll do that again.

^  Please explain.  I tried it once, and it was overly sulfur-eggy (supertaster issue maybe?).  Partial yolks?

Yes, partial yolk.  I would write a detailed explanation but after bragging about it yesterday the technique failed me last night, for the first time.   :wacko:   So maybe it isn't quite as straightforward as I thought.

Red chili with beans

Cornbread

I used Rancho Gordo Good Mother Stallard beans for the chili and sort of followed a recipe in Steve Sando's Heirloom Beans cookbook to make it.  I'm crumbling excess cornbread to make some cornbread dressing muffins tomorrow.

Broccoli rabe, sun-dried tomato and feta quiche

Roasted fingerling potatoes with parsley and romano

I opened the freezer some time last week to find that Mr. lperry had stocked it with a few piecrusts from the Happy Tart.  Less than subtle, but effective. Apple pie on the menu for tomorrow.  :)

Red butter lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, and apple cider vinaigrette

Rustic bread and butter
Hoppin John oyster stew with bacon, fennel, fennel fronds, and leeks for garnish

The bread was (if I have my terminology correct) cut from a Poiláne miche, a whopping $7.99 at P&C Market.  I usually pass those by due to the cost, but they were out of baguettes and I wanted bread to go with the stew.  I don't know how many other markets in the city stock this.  It is an indulgence.  
I followed a recipe that looked interesting for the stew, but it used wayyyyyy too much cream (yes, that's possible).  I'll revert to whole milk next time.