Washington's Green Grocer

DLB

This is not nearly the same thing (unless you live as close to 18th and Columbia as I do), but I wanted to take the opportunity to pitch the online farmer's market. You can order from their Web site each week and pick up your goodies from his truck Saturday mornings in Adams Morgan or Takoma Park. I go to the market almost every Saturday during the summer, but tried this when it closed down for the winter and I really like it.

My faves: Their homemade butter is excellent and their salad greens are magnificent.

This is not nearly the same thing (unless you live as close to 18th and Columbia as I do), but I wanted to take the opportunity to pitch the online farmer's market. You can order from their Web site each week and pick up your goodies from his truck Saturday mornings in Adams Morgan or Takoma Park.

Just placed my first order (since I do, indeed, live that close to 18th and Columbia.) I had been looking at CSAs but this looks a lot more convenient -- you order what you need every week, and it looks like they have lots of variety as well as periodic sales on some items. And, if you want to take a chance, they have the "hurry" box of fruits and vegetables, where you get whatever they pick.

I'll report back after I pick up my first installment on Saturday!

Ok. I've been getting this for about six weeks. And, I'm secretly glad, even though right now, through winter, it's absurd: I did an itemization against WF and Giant, and it's a little more than WF, which is fine, but Im not picking out the fruits and veggies. And, it's sits for the afternoon outside, so my bok choy is usually pretty wilted (not their fault, I realize). Also, I don't really eat fruit, so I have 9,000 oranges from the past six weeks. But, for lazy shoppers like me, it's a great service for a good cause.

Does anyone know if there is anything going wrong there right now? I used them several years ago, and I loved it. But, alas, the schedule didn't end up working for me. Ever since, however, I have been keeping them in the back of my mind waiting until I would be able to use them again.

But, I have now tried to order twice in the past few weeks, and they have stood me up both times. The first time they apologized and offered a discount on my next order, and I chaulked it up to a mistake. But then I tried again, they said sure, but again they didn't come. I really hate writing them off like this, but I am pretty disappointed, and also quite rushed as I had been counting on it and now need to swing by the store. Has anyone else had these difficulties?

I have been using Washington's Green Grocer for the past few weeks now and have been very happy with the service. They have responded kindly to all of my special orders and requests, and the box has arrived each week as promised.

I used them for a couple weeks two years ago (or so).

I always found the ordering process very pleasant and the prices reasonable. After a few weeks, I decided that I prefer to pick out my own frutis and veggies, and so I quit them.

MeMc, if you ask, they will stop sending the oranges to you and replace them with something else.

Overall, I found them quite nice and thought they had a good little business going. The wife of the husband and wife team was a chef at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel many moons ago, fyi.

My delivery finally came on Friday, and all of the produce has been excellent!

The problem stemmed from a poorly updated website, it seems. On the website, it says that DC deliveries are done on Thursday. Unbeknownst to me, some are now done on Fridays. Why don't people update websites when they make changes? Those of us stuck at our desks all day rely on the information contained on them (but I digress).

But, they have been extremely apologetic about it, and have even given me my first delivery free. So far, it seems as though it may work out great in the end.

I used WGG from 2006 until just a few weeks ago (I'm moving, so I cancelled the service)--I was usually really pleased with the produce. They try to buy local whenever they can, and the quality is generally top-notch. I once tried to price out the same amount of produce from Whole Foods, and if I remember correctly, the WGG prices were extremely reasonable in comparison.

Not to mention, delivery = good! Especially when a) you don't have a car, or :lol: you have a car, but gas prices are driving you into bankruptcy.

Signed up recently. I've only gotten one delivery so far (I'm signed up for on-demand, not weekly) but I was very happy with it. Roughly $40 for a (sunstantial) weeks' worth of produce for my girlfriend and I. Plus, you can have Lyon Bakery bread delivered, as well as Border Springs lamb, local dairy, and a broad selection of other stuff too. Free to sign up, as well, so I'd say give it a shot for a week and see if you like it. You don't have to be on a recurring basis with them.