Pho King, Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray - Pho House in the Calvert Shops - Closed

Further to the spirit of previous remarks on this thread, last week I was in Atlanta and spotted a place named "What The Pho." Big sign and everything. It's in the "new Koreatown" area near the new Super H.

I'm not making this up.

Nice little place directly cut from the standard pho family eatery cloth. Owners are very friendly, mama works days at the nail place next door. To me these places are all about the broth. It's nice that Pho 75 gets noodles from Cali and I can find sawtooth herb in the bowels of Eden Center, but it's the smell & taste of BEEF, anise & toasted ginger I want to saturate myself with. Sometimes I wake up after boozing with a puss of a hangover. The almost-hangover makes me bones feel hollow and me slow but it's so miniscule I'm functional enough to be Jerked off about it. Pho King's broth is intentionally almost-good and that sucks. I asked the owner why it lacks. She didn't hesitate to explain that customers complained when the stock was initially made with roasted bones. Suggestions for a dark & a light pho were dismissed. A suitable sick morning after hasn't landed me nearby & that's what will get me back until they (Pho King) bring back the bone.

All jokes aside, Pho King is more ambitious than your typical strip-mall Pho house. It has a reasonably dense Vietnamese menu, and also boasts on their website about the bone-driven intricacies of making the broth.

Fresh Garden Roll (#A2, $3.50) was two rice-flour wrapped rolls, stuffed with vermicelli, green herbs, lettuce, bean sprouts, mint leaves, and halved shrimp, served with a little tub of peanut sauce. It's pretty much what you'd expect, which is not at all bad.

Grilled Lemongrass Beef (#B4, $8.95) is, not surprisingly, grilled, marinated lemongrass beef served over steamed jasmine rice, with a condiment of sliced cucumbers, carrot, and lettuce, and served with a little tub of sweet-and-sour sauce.

Both of these dishes are, not great, but pretty good, and Pho King is a legitimate option for neighborhood, weeknight Vietnamese.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Both of these dishes are, not great, but pretty good, and Pho King is a legitimate option for neighborhood, weeknight Vietnamese.

Good to know, thanks! Only went there once on a cold winter's night for a bowl of beef noodle soup, one of my favorite dishes to warm up with.

I think that description is a copy and paste job from here.

Pho King is ok for pho, but if it wasn't down the street from me, I probably wouldn't ever go. As it is now, we're more likely to drive to Golden Cow or Pho 75 rather than stay in Del Ray.

Having said that, as Don notes, the food here is good but not great and has certainly never been bad. The last time we visited, the youngster taking our order mentioned that another part of the family would be taking over so I wonder if anything has changed.

Why is there still a picture of a PB+J on their website? :D

No more Pho King. :(

I talked with them before they vacated (December?), and they said they were looking for another locale, would be late summer at the earliest. They were not certain it would come together, but seemed eager to try.

I implored them to procure a new soundtrack. During previous visits, I learned the owner insisted on always playing the same handful of melancholy Vietnamese tracks, over-and-over. It carried the tone of deep longing, pining for a lost lover to return (or pining for sous vide to go away, or pining for snout/tail pork via parquor Olympians, hard to tell for sure). On a cloudy day, the soundtrack left me borderline brooding.

With a new set list, maybe their new name will be Pho King Smile.