ISO 1976 Vintage

Stretch

A friend of mine is turning the big 3-0 this weekend and I want to get him a bottle that has aged roughly as long as he has. What spirit would likely be the best bet? Scotch seems to be out, as I don't like him $$$$ much. Maybe cognac?

PS: He'll drink anything. Seriously. Remember that scene in "Withnail & I" with the lighter fluid?

Tawny Port always seems fairly inexpensive. Also, if you find a liquor store with a less-well-known selection of single malts, they are often less expensive than you'd think. And I think there's a bottle of Mad Dog onder the back seat of my car which has been rattling around since a Foreigner concert in the mid-70s. Let me know if you need me to send it up.

Right, but there are plenty of 'gnacs out there that have spent thirty years in wood (and/or were harvested in 1976/thereabouts) and have spent 27/28 years in wood.

I'm not a big fan of most older tawny. And it degrades once opened much, much faster than spirits.

On the other hand, Armagnac tastes like industrial solvent from the moment the bottle is opened, and so any degradation passes unnoticed. :)

I've seen 30-year-old Calvados around, but have no idea what its cost might be.

Did they declare a vintage in Port in '76?

Right, but there are plenty of 'gnacs out there that have spent thirty years in wood (and/or were harvested in 1976/thereabouts) and have spent 27/28 years in wood.

I know, it's just that many people have the notion that an old, dusty, cobwebbed bottle of Cognac is somehow better than one off the store shelf. (There's a great scene in Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited" that pokes fun at this.)

ETA: What about a bottle of bordeaux? If memory serves, 1976 was a pretty good year in the Medoc. Come to think of it, it was an outstanding year for Mosel and Rhine, which might be a bit mature now, but well-kept examples would still yield plenty of interest.

On the other hand, Armagnac tastes like industrial solvent from the moment the bottle is opened, and so any degradation passes unnoticed. :)

I've seen 30-year-old Calvados around, but have no idea what its cost might be.

Did they declare a vintage in Port in '76?

I don't think so. The '77s however are widely admired, but somewhat out of Stretch's desired price range methinks.

There is not a lot from 1976 that would be really good anymore that wouldn't cost a lot. For example, the 1976 Château d'Yquem would be wonderful, but it would cost an arm and a leg (not to mention other parts of your anatomy). The same goes for the 1976 Niepoort Tawny Port Colheita.

If he is one of those "drink anything" types, I'd go buy him a 30 year old port or 30 yo Scotch and not worry about how great it is.

Heretical suggestion: Buy a bottle of Macallan Sherry Oak 30-year-old and a bottle of Dewar's. Switch the contents, and give the "Macallan" to your drink-anything friend. Then, in a darkened room, quietly enjoy your "Dewar's" with a sinister, inward chuckle and a toast to your friend. (Not that I've EVER done this myself.)

Graham's bottles a 30 year old tawny port. It should be a little over $100 in a store. It has a great big 30 on the label.

Most 1976 Bordeaux is dead now. '75 was a far better Yquem vintage and is super expensive. Cognac Tesseron bottles a Cuvée 76 which is really delicious. Armagnac is the other alternative.