Yanni's Greek Taverna, Cleveland Park - Closed

Yanni's has its moments. It does Greek basics like gyros and spanakopita pretty well. Most of the salads on the appetizer sampler are good. I especially like their tzatziki yogurt sauce. Sometimes there fish specials are really good and some times only so so. It is one of those neighborhood places where you have to go and find those couple of dishes you really like and keep ordering them on return visits.

So if you are in CP and craving Greek food. It is the best and most expensive of the now 3 Greek/mediterranean restaurants. We also have Byblos and Fresh Med which each have tables but not waiter service, unlike Yanni's. Yanni is still moderate priced, just more expensive than the super cheap other two.

Don't go. Mushy could describe most of the items on the menu (and not just the vegetable-type things...)

This is one of those places that always make me scratch my head and wonder how it can be so full when the food is so eh. They can't all be tourists, can they? I've been a handful of times over the years because I love the idea of having a local taverna in my neighborhood. But I personally have never found anything worth coming back for. (Yet.)

But the new offshoot, Yanni'z Lounge is definitely worth checking out for its cave-like interior (think Bohemian Caverns) and stiff drinks. The people watching/eavesdropping is also pretty good here.

I beg to differ. Sure, the food isn't anything spectacular. But it sure is reliable. The prices reflect this. Every single time I've been though, I have had some of the best service in DC. Always cozy. Great place for a laid-back-not-super-expensive date.

Octopus is pretty good. Not sure I'm crazy about the lemon juice dressing, but it's a mamoth portion (maybe too large), with the skin nicely charred and the meat still relatively moist. I'd try it again.

Yes, veggies are the definition of mushy. But the people-watching at the lounge is, indeed, priceless.

Arni Youvetsi ($17.50) was a Tuesday-night special last night at Yanni's, but they were out of orzo, and served it instead with rice. It was a good, gamey lamb shank, cooked very well, and packaged with great care (I ordered it carryout). Although the rice was, dare I say, "typical" of what you find in many Greek restaurants (i.e., something akin to Uncle Ben's), the lamb took center stage, and was served atop a nice, oily tomato-based sauce that had some long-cooked depth to it. This was a satisfying dish that was worth the money. (The bread is just awful.)

Cheers,

Rocks.

Word on the usually accurate Cleveland Park mailing list is that Yanni's is closing on Sunday. No reason given. It's a pretty good space with an excellent patio , so fingers crossed that someone inventive does something fun with it soon. Cleveland Park doesn't need any more vacant restaurants. (That said, the Cacao patisserie/chocolatier which just opened next to Indique las week is a fantastic addition to the neighborhood. Finally, a decent baguette can be had in CP.)

I have heard this from folk close to Yanni as well, independent of the board. Sabores appears to be closed {temporarily or permanently I do not know, but they have not operated in over a month allthough the owner was reported on the list serve to be attempting to reopen}