dr.com Holiday Happy Hour at Firefly

Arrangements have been made with the management at Firefly to commandeer their lounge area the evening of the 15th for a festive donrockwell.com Holiday Happy Hour. Rockweilers, one and all, are invited to join in the merriment. Who knows; perhaps we can even persuade Chef Wabeck to reprise his special Merguez lamb crepinettes for the evening. And, and, possibly some “free range” venison pâté.

Please PM me if you plan to attend so that we can get something that approximates a head count. Also, PM me if you have any questions.

PS: I have it on good authority that there will be another HHH scheduled at a later time for those who are unable to attend on the 15th for religious or any other reason.

There's good news, and there's other news. The good news is that many people have expressed interest which means that a good time is just about gauranteed. The other news is that Firefly can only hold a limited amount of people.

To make sure that all of the community will get a chance to celebrate (err, drink) together, there will be a second HHH the following Friday, provided there is interest. If you would like to get involved in the organizing, which right now mainly consists of determining a location, PM me.

There's good news, and there's other news. The good news is that many people have expressed interest which means that a good time is just about gauranteed. The other news is that Firefly can only hold a limited amount of people.
It is true that Firefly has limited capacity for us and that quite a few people have provided affirmative responses (23 so far). I'm checking with the poo bah's at FF to confirm our limitation. We've still got some space but I don't know how long that will last. If we reach a limit I'll let you know; there always is some flucutation so I'll start something in the nature of a waiting list if I need to.

Well, tonight's the night. I've had a few PMs inquiring about what time we will get started and the only response I can give is "it's happy hour" which means after work. If you get there around 6:00 you can count on things approaching full swing.

I also wanted to let you know that we are now somewhat over capacity for the lounge, (I find it hard to say no). Chef Wabeck has told us that he expects one of his busier nights of the season. The plan is to clear space in the lounge as much as possible for standing and mingling. I expect people to start their own tabs with the waitress and/or bartender, and order drinks and appetizers rather than sit-down entrees etc. (in other words, I don't want to have to contend with figuring out an "uber tab" as I've found that my ability to do so after a few glasses of wine diminishes considerably). If you want to stick around for dinner at FF after the HH winds down, reservations are recommended (Opentable shows space available).

And: Jake Parrott has arranged some special wine for us this evening: Muratie chardonnay and Amira syrah.

The idea of merguez miniburgers was bandied about last night. May it be so.

And it was so. Tiny merguez crepinettes, on a toast round, with a little schmear of something...green olive tapenade?

Thanks to Chef Wabeck and his staff for a lovely evening. Venison pate with gin soaked figs was delicious and the merguez miniburgers a treat. And for goodness sake, whatever you do, do not order the '99 Savigny-les-Beaune on the wine list. I plan on drinking all he has left.

Now I need to figure out what to do about the 20% tip I left on the amount that we didn't realize already included an 18% gratuity. :P Never done that before - we all had seperate checks, so it didn't occur to me to check if the tip was included.

I dunno. They tasted just like figs to me. :P Fabulous accompaniment to the venison (thanks, Jacques!) pate.
I could be wrong, I got my info from jparrott. Maybe he was just making a comment about my life, not the pate accoutrement ... :D

Now I need to figure out what to do about the 20% tip I left on the amount that we didn't realize already included an 18% gratuity. :P Never done that before - we all had seperate checks, so it didn't occur to me to check if the tip was included.
I had to do a double take of my check under the couch's spot light. I chose to add on top of the included gratuity because the 18% was calc'd on just the drinks we ordered (Jake - what was that Syrah?). The service charge didn't include the additional service involved in the nibbles provided by Chef Wabeck OR the headache of 20+ separate checks. Glad I didn't experience the "service" y'all got at Montsouris later in the evening – it makes the service we got at FF glow by comparison.
Gin-soaked dates. Just like many of mine :D
I seem to remember a guy using "my favorite fruit is a juicy date" as a bar pickup line...

I had to do a double take of my check under the couch's spot light. I chose to add on top of the included gratuity because the 18% was calc'd on just the drinks we ordered (Jake - what was that Syrah?). The service charge didn't include the additional service involved in the nibbles provided by Chef Wabeck OR the headache of 20+ separate checks.
I didn't even look to see what the gratuity was calculated on. It was only $24; making them reverse the charge seemed Scrooge-like so we just wrote it off as a Merry Christmas to our server. They did a great job.

ETA: Mike Hill contacted me and offered a refund. I turned him down, but very much appreciated the offer.

Thanks, all, for a great time Friday night at Firefly. This was my first DR event ever, and I was relieved to find out that you all are much more normal than you make out to be... I don't even mind coughing up a 38% tip for the privilege of meeting you! :P

Hope to see you all again before I head off into the wild blue yonder...

Thanks to Chef Wabeck, GM Mike Hill, bartender Jen, and cocktail waitress Kattie for their generous hospitality and impecable service Friday evening. The complimentary venison pate and Merguez "mini-burgers" were wonderful. I'd like to see a trio of the mini-burngers on the appetizer menu.

And the contrast between the atmosphere at FF and that of another nearby establishment was stark.