Sophisticated, Single-Friendly, Adult Happy Hours

cocoagirl

My girlfriend and I are 50 something and find ourselves suddenly single at the same time.  We love good food, however now we are looking for happy hour places downtown where we can have a well crafted cocktail, maybe doing some chatting and then follow it up with a good meal.

Any thoughts?    

I assume, because you note you and your girlfriend are "50 something," that you are looking for a place with a similar age demographic.  I have found that, generally, restaurant bar demographics follow price, at least downtown (meaning in or near the central business district).  If you take the places on this list that have bars, you will generally find that the closer you get to $$$$$, the farther away from hammered twenty somethings you will be.  

It's not a perfect measure by any means and there are plenty of exceptions, but it does seem to play out that way most of the time.  Also, I'm not saying that that you need to go to the most expensive places or spend a fortune.  Anything on that list $$$ or higher is a fairly safe bet, and at most you can get a couple of appetizers at the bar and be happy without spending a fortune.  Below that level, you'd need to assess each place on its own.

Acadiana actually has some good happy hour deals, including an entire $5 men (food and cocktails).  The bar area gets a little full, but when I was there last week there was a diverse crowd.

Boss Shepherd has a nice bar area.  The couple of times I've been there it hasn't been too busy.  There's sort of small lounge area to the side that attracts groups, but plenty of seating at the bar.

Acadiana actually has some good happy hour deals, including an entire $5 men (food and cocktails).  The bar area gets a little full, but when I was there last week there was a diverse crowd.

Boss Shepherd has a nice bar area.  The couple of times I've been there it hasn't been too busy.  There's sort of small lounge area to the side that attracts groups, but plenty of seating at the bar.

$5 men may be exactly what they're looking for if they're both single.

• Like 4