Miami Friends Staying Downtown, Looking for Middle-Eastern, Asian, and African Cuisine

jdc

Hi all - if you're readers of Tom Sietsema's chat, you may have noticed that I asked a similar question today. I wanted to edit/expand because I trust you all immensely.

My friend's family is coming to visit in late summer, and will be staying downtown and doing a lot of the traditional "tourist" things since my friend just moved to the area last year and this is their first visit. She mentioned that they would be interested in good value "ethnic" restaurants, particularly Afghan and Middle Eastern type places - and all of the ones we know are in the suburbs (we both live in Silver Spring, and I've lived in Northern Virginia so I'm familiar with a lot of the spots in that area). As they are from Miami, they're less inclined to try Latin/Caribbean places or other cuisines which have extensive representation in South Florida, and perhaps more interested in Asian/Pacific and African cuisines. What are some good ones that you all can recommend?

FWIW, and I will look at the threads here, but restaurants that were mentioned in responses were Mitsitam Cafe, Teaism, Greek Deli, Ambar, and Lapis (and Bamian in the burbs). If I was steered wrong on those, please let me know.

10 hours ago, jdc said:

Hi all - if you're readers of Tom Sietsema's chat, you may have noticed that I asked a similar question today. I wanted to edit/expand because I trust you all immensely.

My friend's family is coming to visit in late summer, and will be staying downtown and doing a lot of the traditional "tourist" things since my friend just moved to the area last year and this is their first visit. She mentioned that they would be interested in good value "ethnic" restaurants, particularly Afghan and Middle Eastern type places - and all of the ones we know are in the suburbs (we both live in Silver Spring, and I've lived in Northern Virginia so I'm familiar with a lot of the spots in that area). As they are from Miami, they're less inclined to try Latin/Caribbean places or other cuisines which have extensive representation in South Florida, and perhaps more interested in Asian/Pacific and African cuisines. What are some good ones that you all can recommend?

FWIW, and I will look at the threads here, but restaurants that were mentioned in responses were Mitsitam Cafe, Teaism, Greek Deli, Ambar, and Lapis (and Bamian in the burbs). If I was steered wrong on those, please let me know.

This post I wrote six weeks ago very much applies to you - have them try Ching Ching Cha instead of Teaism when they're in Georgetown.

I would urge you to go to Max's Kosher Cafe for a falafel (and only a falafel - medium-hot, fully loaded), and while you're out there, spend enough time where you're hungry enough for a second meal, and hit up Ren's Ramen - go to Brookside Gardens and spend a few hours.

If they're adventurous, go to Abay Market for some raw kitfo, or if they're really adventurous, call Abay in advance and order some tere sega - it's a wonderful shopping center that very few non-Ethiopians even know about; if they aren't feeling *quite* that adventurous, but still a little bit, hit up Meaza. Jerusalem is an underrated restaurant in that general vicinity - maybe even hit up A&J for some soup and bubble tea.

I like Afghan Grill, at Woodley Park - website

I also like Lapis in Adams Morgan - website

Also, Mama Ayesha's, between the two neighborhoods. - website

If Zenebech is still open at that point, I love their food. Really pretty plain and divey space though. (Their building is getting torn down for development at some point.) - website

I enjoy Masala Art (Have only been to the SW location, but the food is good, the happy hour is very good, and the service is very pleasant.) - website

Zorba's at Dupont Circle is tasty - website

I have enjoyed the Purple Patch in Mt Pleasant. Have not yet been to Bad Saint, despite it being closer to my house, because of the lines. - website