Tino's Pizzeria, Pizzaiolo Logan Griffith's Modern Pies in Cleveland Park

Tino's has been open for a couple of weeks and seems to be doing good business.

We stopped in on a Sunday early evening around 6pm.  Most of the tables were full with families dining.  The space is a long narrow-ish room with a counter in the back for ordering.  You place an order, get a table number card, and they deliver the food.  I'm not sure what the dining term is for this type of service:  upscale fast casual?  

The menu is a handful of salads, about a dozen pizzas, and a couple of desserts.  It looked like they had some daily specials posted at the counter.  The beer list was mostly DMV area based, Port City, DC Brau, Right Proper, Old Ox, but nothing that you couldn't find at a decently stocked DC beer store.  But at least they are supporting local breweries!

We started with a nice salad of tomatoes, bottarga, capers, olives, radishes and parsley ($8).  All of the produce was super fresh and certainly looked to be local, high end farmer market quality.  Although I thought that the salad was rather tame, especially given the the salad included bottarga, capers and olives. 

Next we had the All Green Everything ($15), a pizza of pesto, charred zucchini, mozzarella, ricotta, and green tomatoes.  It was a handsome looking pie, but we both agreed it was bland (bland pesto is no way to go through life!)  The crust was also rather limp.  I'm not sure if because it was busy their pizza oven temp was too low or what, but the pizza was fine, if underwhelming. 

If Tino's is trying to challenge 2 Amy's or Paradiso or some of the other wood-fired pizza places in town and in the burbs, they have a ways to go. 

We'll try again in a couple of months.

Tino Salad.jpg

Tino Pizza.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/17/2019 at 2:08 PM, Tweaked said:

Tino's has been open for a couple of weeks and seems to be doing good business.

If Tino's is trying to challenge 2 Amy's or Paradiso or some of the other wood-fired pizza places in town and in the burbs, they have a ways to go. 

We'll try again in a couple of months.

We went a few weeks ago right when they opened. We also had the all green everything pizza and the four cheese pizza. I thought they were good solid pies with a sturdy, not soggy crust and very nice staff. The flavors were only good, not great. If I had a choice between them and 2 Amys, definitely go with 2 Amys. That being said, I welcome them to the neighborhood and plan to try to their other options to find something I like better. Not really in competition with Vace as it is different type of pizza, pricing, and restaurant. 

3 hours ago, KeithA said:

We went a few weeks ago right when they opened. We also had the all green everything pizza and the four cheese pizza. I thought they were good solid pies with a sturdy, not soggy crust and very nice staff. The flavors were only good, not great. If I had a choice between them and 2 Amys, definitely go with 2 Amys. That being said, I welcome them to the neighborhood and plan to try to their other options to find something I like better. Not really in competition with Vace as it is different type of pizza, pricing, and restaurant. 

Vace is unique in it's "ambience". I'll say no more. 

I've been back several times in the last month to Tino's as it has become a close by favorite of my kids. They law the simple pie aka cheese pizza, which I think is pretty good too. I've enjoyed two of unique pizzas on a few occassions - Shrooming with lots of mushrooms for a savory dish with some sweet accents from roasted pear and the My Dear HoneyNut which is a really out there but good pie: " honeynut squash puree, charred honeynut, burrata, pickled delicata, pine nuts" It is very different and on the sweeter side but not with a nice balance from the nuts and extra rich creamy burrata. Last night we also got a cheese pizza with their pesto sauce instead of tomato - my wife and I really liked it. Lots of good but not overly strong flavor in the pesto. I'd get it again. We also had their endive, grapefruit, and hazelnut salad which was nice and light. So I think I recently wrote in the pizza forum, this is a great place to drop in or add to your local rotation but not destination dining. They also have a good rotating menu of desserts and a full bar. One night we got their smores rice crispy treat which was damn tasty (didn't see it last night but saw more sophisticated items like a pot de creme plus they always seem to have ice cream scoops).

• Like 2