The Shrimp Lover - A Thai-Based Seafood Shanty in Sterling, on the Way to Dulles Airport

It's amazing we don't have a thread on The Shrimp Lover (website). a Thai-owned quasi-seafood shack, located in a strip mall just off Route 28, very convenient for Washingtonians traveling to Dulles Airport.

I went for lunch today, had wonderful service at the bar, and a kick-your-butt shrimp plate that's worth knowing about.

Seated at the bar, I was asked what I'd like to drink - I wasn't drinking alcohol, so I got a Diet Coke ($2,50, unlimited refills) while I waited for one of the most interesting raw seafood dishes I've had in quite awhile: Shrimp Nam-Pla ($12) - five (the menu said six, but I got five) large, split, raw shrimp in a cold, Thai-ceviche-like broth that was a combination of lime, intense salt, pepper, and heat (and I do mean heat), each shrimp topped with a small piece of bitter cucumber and raw garlic, and the entire dish topped with a few basil leaves.

While officially an appetizer, this was more than enough for a small lunch, and while the intensity of the "severe ceviche" might take some getting used to, heat-lovers will really enjoy this. The combination of the dish itself, the wonderful atmosphere, and the uber-friendly staff makes me take note of The Shrimp Lover anytime I'm close to Dulles Airport, and you should too.

ShrimpLover.jpgInterior.jpgShrimp.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

It's amazing we don't have a thread on The Shrimp Lover, a Thai-owned quasi-seafood shack, located in a strip mall just off Route 28, very convenient for Washingtonians traveling to Dulles Airport.

I went for lunch today, had wonderful service at the bar, and a kick-your-butt shrimp plate that's worth knowing about.

Seated at the bar, I was asked what I'd like to drink - I wasn't drinking alcohol, so I got a Diet Coke ($2,50, unlimited refills) while I waited for one of the most interesting raw seafood dishes I've had in quite awhile: Shrimp Nam-Pla ($12) - five (the menu said six, but I got five) large, split, raw shrimp in a cold, Thai-ceviche-like broth that was a combination of lime, intense salt, pepper, and heat (and I do mean heat), each shrimp topped with a small piece of bitter cucumber and raw garlic, and the entire dish topped with a few basil leaves.

While officially an appetizer, this was more than enough for a small lunch, and while the intensity of the "severe ceviche" might take some getting used to, heat-lovers will really enjoy this. The combination of the dish itself, the wonderful atmosphere, and the uber-friendly staff makes me take note of The Shrimp Lover anytime I'm close to Dulles Airport, and you should too.

ShrimpLover.jpgInterior.jpgShrimp.jpg

Looks like a lot of bold flavors. Glad it was delicious. BTW, the leaves appear to be mint instead of basil. I'll put the place on my list!

19 minutes ago, reedm said:

Looks like a lot of bold flavors. Glad it was delicious. BTW, the leaves appear to be mint instead of basil. I'll put the place on my list!

Yes, the leaves were the one thing that I'm uncertain about, and they do look like mint (Thai basil maybe?)

13 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Eat the shrimp with the raw garlic!

And yes, the shrimp, bitter cucumber, and raw garlic in the same bite were the best way to eat this, chased with a leaf.