Turn Up the Heat on Ovarian Cancer

mame11

Celebrate Women Chefs

Raise Awareness And Help Save Lives

Turn Up the Heat on Ovarian Cancer

You are invited to enjoy an evening of dining to “Celebrate Women Chefs” and support the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance in the fight against ovarian cancer.

Washington’s most outstanding women chefs will offer an assortment of sumptuous tastings of their favorite dishes. You will meet the stars of Washington’s renowned culinary scene who are donating their time and talent in the battle against ovarian cancer.

6:30 pm, Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Ritz-Carlton, West End

22nd and M Streets, NW, Washington, DC

Washington DC

Ris Lacoste

Ann Amernick of Palena

Zoe Behrens of 1789 Restaruant

Barbara Black of Black Salt

Naomi Gallego of Vidalia

Ruth Gresser of Pizzeria Paradiso

Jamie Leeds of Hank’s Oyster Bar

Heather Martindale of Bistro Bis

Nora Pouillon of Restaurant Nora and Asia Nora

Victoria Rogers of Victoria’s Kitchen Kimberly Triplett of Bon Appetit

Maryland

Susan Kolman of Persimmon

Jodi Lehr of Santa Lucia Estate Coffee

Janis McLean of redDog Cafe

Danielle Neal of Great Taste Personal Chef Service

Virginia

Ellie Basch of Everyday Gourmet

Jannequin Bennett of TJ Restaurant,The Jefferson

Vaishali Chitnis of Stratford University

Lilienne Conklin of A La Belle Cuisine

Vicki Dunbar of Personal Chef Service

Charleen Heubner of Stratford University

Kate Jensen of Willow

Rima Kodsi of Layalina

Maro Nalabandian of Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner

Tracy O’Grady of Willow

Aimee Suyehiro Scott of Argia’s

Christine Wansleben of the Mise En Place Culinary School

For ticket information visit www.ovariancancer.org

Anybody else going to the fundraiser? I'll meet you at the bar. :o

Meet the women stars of the culinary scene. Sample sumptuous hors d’oeuvres, savory tastings and breathtaking desserts. We invite you to enjoy an evening of dining to Celebrate Women Chefs and support the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance in the fight against ovarian cancer. Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:30 pm, The Ritz-Carlton, 22nd and M Streets, NW, Washington, DC $250 per person. Proceeds to benefit Ovarian Cancer National Alliance. Register or Sponsor on-line:

ovariancancer.org/benefit/register or Call 202-331-1332

Washington, DC

Ris Lacoste

Polly Brown of Pollystyle Premium Baked Goods

Heather Chittum of Notti Bianche and Dish

Sue Conley and Peggy Smith of Cowgirl Creamery

Elizabeth Evelyn of Café Saint-Ex

Naomi Gallego of PS 7’s

Rita Garruba

Ellen Gray of Equinox

Rachael Harriman and Amanda Cookof CityZen

Caitlin Kelly of Vidalia

Theresa Linskey of Marcel’s

Janis McLean of Morrison-Clark Restaurant

Victoria Rogers of Victoria’s Kitchen

Carolyn Stachowski of Restaurant Kolumbia

Kimberly Triplett of Bon Appetit

Maryland

Melissa Ballinger of Mia’s Pizzas

Susan Kolman of Susie’s Scones

Elizabeth Kujala of Sweet Dreams Pastry Shop

Carol Palmer of Good Taste Marketing Service

Virginia

Mechelle Armstrong of Restaurant Eve

Jannequin Bennett of TJ Restaurant The Jefferson

Maro Nalabandian of The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner

Tracy O’Grady and Kate Jansen of Willow

Rowena Fullinwider of Rowena's

Aimee Suyehiro of Argia’s

Christine Wansleben of Mise En Place Culinary School

Other

Elizabeth Gallery of Stone Soup Bistro

Trish Karter of Dancing Deer Baking Company

Anybody else going to the fundraiser? I'll meet you at the bar. :o

Meet the women stars of the culinary scene. Sample sumptuous hors d’oeuvres, savory tastings and breathtaking desserts. We invite you to enjoy an evening of dining to Celebrate Women Chefs and support the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance in the fight against ovarian cancer. Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:30 pm, The Ritz-Carlton, 22nd and M Streets, NW, Washington, DC $250 per person. Proceeds to benefit Ovarian Cancer National Alliance. Register or Sponsor on-line:

ovariancancer.org/benefit/register or Call 202-331-1332

Washington, DC

Ris Lacoste

Polly Brown of Pollystyle Premium Baked Goods

Heather Chittum of Notti Bianche and Dish

Sue Conley and Peggy Smith of Cowgirl Creamery

Elizabeth Evelyn of Café Saint-Ex

Naomi Gallego of PS 7’s

Rita Garruba

Ellen Gray of Equinox

Rachael Harriman and Amanda Cookof CityZen

Caitlin Kelly of Vidalia

Theresa Linskey of Marcel’s

Janis McLean of Morrison-Clark Restaurant

Victoria Rogers of Victoria’s Kitchen

Carolyn Stachowski of Restaurant Kolumbia

Kimberly Triplett of Bon Appetit

Maryland

Melissa Ballinger of Mia’s Pizzas

Susan Kolman of Susie’s Scones

Elizabeth Kujala of Sweet Dreams Pastry Shop

Carol Palmer of Good Taste Marketing Service

Virginia

Mechelle Armstrong of Restaurant Eve

Jannequin Bennett of TJ Restaurant The Jefferson

Maro Nalabandian of The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner

Tracy O’Grady and Kate Jansen of Willow

Rowena Fullinwider of Rowena's

Aimee Suyehiro of Argia’s

Christine Wansleben of Mise En Place Culinary School

Other

Elizabeth Gallery of Stone Soup Bistro

Trish Karter of Dancing Deer Baking Company

This is the menu for the event. I speak regularly with the founder of the organization so let me know if you have any questions.

For Epicures Who Like It Hot –Turn Up the Heat on Ovarian Cancer.

Join the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance, renowned Chef Ris Lacoste and many of the star female chefs from the Washington area’s top restaurants to Celebrate Women Chefs and fight ovarian cancer.

6:30 pm, Wednesday, February 28th, 2007 The Ritz-Carlton, 22nd and M Streets, NW

This is a dinner party you can’t miss! Sample hors d’oeuvres, entrees and desserts created by thirty-nine of the Washington area’s top women chefs.

The menu spans a variety of appetizing seafood dishes to delectable offerings of veal and pork. Guests can dive into Jamie Leeds’s New England clam chowder from Hank’s Oyster Bar, delight in butter poached lobster served in a crispy potato basket (with wine pairing!) prepared by Tracy O’Grady and Kate Jansen of Willow, and savor seared diver scallops with soft grits from co-owner Ellen Kasoff Gray of Equinox. Not to be outdone, Amanda Cook and Rachael Harriman from CityZen will offer a delicious blanquette de veau and Aimee Suyehiro of Argia’s will create a to-die-for pork tenderloin wrapped in pancetta with a black pepper crust.

In addition, Janis McLean will unveil a menu selection from her new kitchen at the Morrison-Clark Restaurant and San Francisco’s Cowgirl Creamery will make its DC debut at the benefit.

Desserts will be created by popular pastry chefs Heather Chittum of Notti Bianche and Dish, Lizzy Evelyn of Café Saint-Ex and Bar Pilar, Naomi Gallego of PS 7’s, Lisa Scruggs of Buzz and Caitlin Kelly of Vidalia.

Tasty menu selections from the area’s top culinary schools will be offered by Chitnis Vaishali of Stratford University, Christine Wansleben of Mise En Place Culinary School and Somchet Chumpapo of L’Academie de Cuisine.

Wines from Argentina, Australia, California, Chile, Uruguay and Washington State will be featured.

The menu resembles that of a sophisticated 5-course meal with wine pairings, which, by the way, is one of more than two dozen door prizes for guests. Other prizes include generous gift certificates to participating restaurants, favorite cookbooks from the chefs, homemade chocolates, gift baskets created by the chefs, and a culinary school cooking class.

Meet the above mentioned and all the other famed female chefs who are graciously donating their time and talent to support the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance’s awareness, education and advocacy initiatives. Tickets are $250 per person.

For more information and details, contact us at 202-331-1332 or at benefit@ovariancancer.org.

The food at all things is hit-or-miss, but, if you support the cause it's a good opportunity to get a feel for a restaurant you might not normally have visited and maybe run into a few friends or people from the biz.
I agree, though that said, it was very expensive for what it was.

For a fundraiser? :o
Yes, even as a fundraiser I found this to be expensive. I'm not poo poo-ing the cause- it's a very worthy cause, and I've donated to it, but I'm just saying for an event being billed as an upscale food event it's very expensive for food that's just ok.

Yes, even as a fundraiser I found this to be expensive. I'm not poo poo-ing the cause- it's a very worthy cause, and I've donated to it, but I'm just saying for an event being billed as an upscale food event it's very expensive for food that's just ok.

I have to gently step in and reply here - I cannot think of a single Get-The-Chefs-Together-In-A-Hotel-Ballroom fundraiser that's even close to being 'worth the money.' Any event that provides a better value for the dollar will surely be donating less money to the charity. I don't mean to contest the substance of the post; just provide an alternative way of thinking about these types of fundraisers. Example: I paid $100 for dinner-for-two at Ben's Chili Bowl at a recent fundraiser for Emmaus. Worth it? Yeah, I think so.

To the event organizers: I wrote a letter offering to be spokesperson this year - granted, way too late - and got what was basically a form letter back saying "thanks, but maybe just a little publicity instead." This is to let you know that I'm volunteering again for next year - you know where to find me.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I have to gently step in and reply here - I cannot think of a single Get-The-Chefs-Together-In-A-Hotel-Ballroom fundraiser that's even close to being 'worth the money.' Any event that provides a better value for the dollar will surely be donating less money to the charity. I don't mean to contest the substance of the post; just provide an alternative way of thinking about these types of fundraisers. Example: I paid $100 for dinner-for-two at Ben's Chili Bowl at a recent fundraiser for Emmaus. Worth it? Yeah, I think so.

To the event organizers: I wrote a letter offering to be spokesperson this year - granted, way too late - and got what was basically a form letter back saying "thanks, but maybe just a little publicity instead." This is to let you know that I'm volunteering again for next year - you know where to find me.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I think we're coming from two sides of a very thin coiin- in that we are both very close together for this. Basically all I'm saying is if you are going to go to this, realize that it's pricey and that the food isn't going to match the price, especially with the list of chefs attending this event.

I want to throw my full support behind an event that's very important to me personally. This celebration of women chefs will take place at the Ritz-Carlton on 22nd & M Streets NW, and 100% of all proceeds will be going directly to the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance.

Ovarian cancer is a particularly cruel disease that is beginning to affect more-and-more young women for reasons yet unexplained. The Ovarian Cancer National Alliance is on the forefront of bringing attention to this major issue, and I cannot emphasize enough what a tremendous job they're doing given their limited resources.

Our own Ris Lacoste will be spearheading an all-star team that includes our recent chat superstar Rachael Harriman and many, many other women chefs in the area. I will most certainly be attending, and I hope to see you there.

Click here to find out more information about this important event, and about this wonderful organization.

Cheers,

Rocks.