Help! I Need Wine Advice!

Help !

I proudly admit I'm a fool for a good beer but I'm in a situation where I need wine knowledge. I have to pick a white and a red to serve at a 40 person function and I don't have a clue. If any one can give me an idea what might be a good choice I'd appreciate it !! The lists follow...

Pinot Grigio, Riff, Venezie, Italy, 2004

Rosé, Domaine de Fontsainte, Corbières, France, 2004

Bordeaux Blanc, Chateau Magneau, Graves, France , 2005

Chardonnay, Four Vines, Santa Barbara County, CA, 2005

Bourgogne Blanc, Pierre Andre, Burgundy, France, 2004

Garganega, “Capitel Foscarino”, Anselmi, (~Soave) Veneto, Italy, 2004

Roero Arneis, “San Michele Vineyard”, Deltetto, Canale, Italy, 2005

Riesling QBA (off-dry), “Dragonstone”, Josef Leitz, Rheingau, Germany, 2005

Tempranillo, Finca Antigua, La Mancha, Spain, 2004

Dolcetto di Dogliani, “Ribote”, Bruno Porro, Piemonte, Italy, 2004

Lemberger, “Blaufranc”, Shooting Star, Washington State, 2005

Bourdeaux Superieur, Chateau Mothe du Barry, France, 2004

Shiraz, “Omrah”, Plantagenent, Western Australia, 2004

Cotes du Rhone Villages, “Champauvins”, Grand Veneur, France, 2005

Cabernet Sauvignon, Barnard Griffin, Columbia Valley, WA, 2005

Cote Rotie-Style (syrah/viognier), Black Chook, Australia, 2005

Bourgogne Rouge, Pierre Naigeon, Burgundy, France 2003

Either a crabcake or filet entree will be served at some point, but people will also be imbibing and grazing for awhile beforehand so something that can hold interest a little while will be helpful.

If anyone can help me please do !!

Thanks in advance

BD

I've seen a lot worse lists for these kinds of decisions. There's some very useful stuff here.

I think the Magneau Bordeaux Blanc would be a good white--a softer, leesier sauvignon-semillon blend, with enough softness of texture to placate the chardonnay-only crowd. Second choice would be the arneis. Filet (plus cocktail time) demands a lighter red, so go for the Dolcetto or the Blaufranc.

Pretty good choice there. A Few questions.

1. How formal

2. Time of year

3. Any passed apps to pair with cocktails

4. Indoors or Outdoors

5. How long is the function

6. Lunch or dinner

7. Can you pick 4 or 5 wines, or are you limited to two or three

8. Is there a tight budget

GAME ON!

Edited becuse I can't spell

The most popular wine at celebrations tends to be sparkling wine, particularly Champagne. Is there any way you can get that poured before the meal at Reception time? Even if it's an inexpensive Cava or Prosecco, people LOVE the bubbly!! I don't even have an opinion of the white and red choices - everyone has different tastes with wine, especially now with all the available choices, it would be hard to go wrong!

I'll add a vote for the Leitz Dragonstone Riesling. Johannes Leitz is a pretty brilliant young winemaker. 2005 was a wonderful vintage in Germany that produced rich, fruity wines that still have enough acidity to make them very food-friendly. And this is a solid value (assuming a fair markup.)

I've tasted this several times and it has lots of ripe peach and melon flavors, a bit of minerality and nice acidity lending it a juicy mouthfeel.

I've never served this to someone who didn't like it.

For the red, I'd go with the Grand Veneur CdR "les Champauvins." Good producer, good vintage again, ripe fruit (think cherry, blackberry) accented by a bit of "garrique" (a sort of rosemary-esque herbal nuance on the nose) and decent acidity. It should please neophytes and wine types alike. Again, I've served this to a number of people, and they have all enjoyed it.

My two cents.

Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge !!

It was so reassuring to be able to consult those with experience with these wines. I ended up asking for the Dolcetto di Dogliani, Lemberger, Bordeaux Blanc, and the Leitz Dragonstone. I never would have been able to do this without you folks (short of throwing a dart at the list that is). I'll report back on the crowd response after this weekend.

Thanks again !!

BD

My wedding reception/cookout is on Saturday and I need to buy a case of wine to use for our toasts. I have no idea what to get. I like Rieslings and other sweet wines. I think something pink would be pretty since we will be outside. Since I have to buy a case of it, I don't want anything TOO expensive.

Please, please point me in the right direction

For an inexpensive sparkling wine that is tasty, I would suggest Gruet from New Mexico, or 1+1=3 Cava from Spain. Both are dry, but with the addition of Creme de Casis you will have a pretty and sweeter drink, i.e. a Kir Royal.

For our wedding, I bought a case of Henckel Trocken. Everybody loved, including me. It's German sparkling wine and knowing your preferences for the "sweeter" wines, I don't think you'll find anything else better to your liking. It retails for under $15 bottle.

Have a wonderful time.

I'd look at two sparkling wines if I wanted something with a hint of sweetness- prosecco (sure, it's not champagne, it's from Italy, but it's good and very reasonably priced) and I'd also look at blanc de blancs (sparkling chardonay grapes). Neither of these are pink, but both can be made that way with an addition of casis. Otherwise, for a pink sparkling you want a sparkling rose.

for a pink sparkling you want a sparkling rose.

Do you have a specific sparking rose to recommend? Something under $15 a bottle?

I don't want the labor of adding something TO the wine to make it pink. We are NOT that high-maintenance. Not for 150 guests anyway...

Do you have a specific sparking rose to recommend? Something under $15 a bottle?

I don't want the labor of adding something TO the wine to make it pink. We are NOT that high-maintenance. Not for 150 guests anyway...

Did you see Slater's suggestion above?

The wine Joe mentioned in the post I linked to might be what you want. I'd call Joe at Ace Beverage and see what he's got.

Oh, and congratulations!

I'd also call over to arrowwine- they tend to have among the best prices that I've found.

They're selling a very nice pink sparkler at the Glover Park Whole Foods, Yves Lambert Crémant de Loire, for $13.99 a bottle. And I must say that the bargain-basement-priced Cristalino Cava rosé ($7.99 at Calvert Woodley) is astonishingly pleasant given the price. I mean, that's practically free.