Mary Had A Rack Of Lamb

JLK

I didn't feel too bad about the fact that they failed to charge me for my wine.  That's OK--they made that up in profit in other areas.

Oh, that's not cool. You really didn't point it out? I call foul.

Edited by JLK

Excuse me, but did you leave knowing that they had mistakenly not charged you for your wine? Regardless of what you thought about the prices, IMO, that is not OK, ever. I think if you ordered it and drank it, you should have paid for it. Geesh - am I out on a limb here?

I think so. If they forgot to charge you that's their fault, and there's no way I would ask to pay more.

Excuse me, but did you leave knowing that they had mistakenly not charged you for your wine?  Regardless of what you thought about the prices, IMO, that is not OK, ever.  I think if you ordered it and drank it, you should have paid for it.  Geesh - am I out on a limb here? :P

You're not out on a limb. Sure, it's their fault for the oversight, but an honest person would pay for what they consume, IMO.

Another thing to consider about this is that you have to assume that the people at Galileo (where the above took palce) are reading the thread. So all they know is that a random person at the DR.com tables left without paying for the wine they drank.

That only reflects poorly on the rest of us, those who were there as well as those who weren't.

Edited by bilrus

Excuse me, but did you leave knowing that they had mistakenly not charged you for your wine? Regardless of what you thought about the prices, IMO, that is not OK, ever. I think if you ordered it and drank it, you should have paid for it. Geesh - am I out on a limb here? :P

I am shocked, shocked I say--as shocked as Claude Rains that gambling occurs in Casablanca--that someone would knowingly not pay the full share of what he owes...

One can only hope that the proceeds of this theft go, in true "The Bicycle Thief"-style, to something humble, worthwhile and poignantly necessary--like a brand new Hummer.

I am shocked, shocked I say--as shocked as Claude Rains that gambling occurs in Casablanca--that someone would knowingly not pay the full share of what he owes...

One can only hope that the proceeds of this theft go, in true "The Bicycle Thief"-style, to something humble, worthwhile and poignantly necessary--like a brand new Hummer.

Whoa. He not only belts out great steaks, he's an afficianado of Italian neorealist cinema. A double threat, indeed, almost Rocksian in his depth.

It's my policy to always point it out -- it may be their mistake, but that's what it (usually) is, a mistake.

If they wish to comp you the drinks, then let them tell you that -- most restaurants I've eaten at will say, for example "the appetizers were on us" or "the second round was from chef" -- don't make the decision for them.

Tom Seitsema points out in his online chats that he finds mistakes on his checks pretty often. At one restaurant where we were undercharged for a dish, Craig thought that by pointing this out to the waiter, we were jeopardizing his job. The problem was compounded by the fact that the sales tax was severely undercharged, so I pointed out both to the waiter.

It seems to me that if you are going to carefully go over the tab, and you should, then it makes sense to always point out mistakes whether they are in your favor or not.

Because we have this forum, it is easy to point out "criminal" prices and alert the rest of us. That seems fair to me.

Whoa.  He not only belts out great steaks, he's an afficianado of Italian neorealist cinema.  A double threat, indeed, almost Rocksian in his depth.

:P Be still my heart.

And I agree with this:

It's my policy to always point it out -- it may be their mistake, but that's what it (usually) is, a mistake.

If they wish to comp you the drinks, then let them tell you that -- most restaurants I've eaten at will say, for example "the appetizers were on us" or "the second round was from chef" -- don't make the decision for them.

Edited by Heather

Whenever I perceive that I am the recipient of what I have heard laniloa refer to as "free stuff," my usual tipping calculus goes out the window.

Who me??? I graciously accept tokens of affection from restaurants with very large tips and luring friends to go for happy hours and meals.