The Heights, 14th. and Kenyon Streets in Columbia Heights - Closing for Reconcepting and New Chef Kerry Tate on November 1st

Another venture from David Winer, who owns Logan Tavern and Merkado Kitchen, is supposed to open this week in Columbia Heights. It is being described as an "industrial-chic American" restaurant with an outdoor patio. No idea on the menu.

Another venture from David Winer, who owns Logan Tavern and Merkado Kitchen, is supposed to open this week in Columbia Heights. It is being described as an "industrial-chic American" restaurant with an outdoor patio. No idea on the menu.

It's open. Didn't look too exciting though.

So...has anyone actually been?

I may be headed here for a birthday dinner later this week.

Don't!! My brother (a restaurant manager himself) lives in that building and recently gave it a third chance after 2 bad experiences (food and service issues both times). He got chicken that was raw in the middle and due to the low lighting/bad eyes actually ate about a third of it before really taking a close look at it. Astonishingly he wasn't even pissed about the chicken. His quote to me when describing it was "It's ok, things happen sometimes."

He pointed it out to a server who took it without apologizing or making any mention of it. A manager came over and nonchalantly offered dessert (not another entree) to which my brother declined and that was it. Again the fact that they didn't sincerely apologize for the chicken issue, explain it or even just acknowledge that they had messed up didn't faze my brother.

What finally pushed him over the edge and convinced him never to go back a fourth time was that the chicken was still on his bill. He just paid it and left. I asked him why he didn't say anything to the manager about the bill afterward and he said he had already brought up the raw chicken and gotten a cold response why bring up the bill? He said it is just easier to chalk it up to a loss and never go there again.

I say just walk a few blocks to Red Rocks or for the price of what you probably would have paid at The Heights for appetizers and drinks go to El Rinconcito and stuff yourself silly with margaritas and great salvadorean/mexican fare.

So...has anyone actually been?

I may be headed here for a birthday dinner later this week.

We went there after stopping by for the grand opening of the Target across the street, and won't be back. We started with chicken wings that were undercooked and close to raw on the inside, and I then had a very unremarkable burger with fries that lacked even the slightest bit of crunch on the outside...very average all around. Overall, the place looks nice but no one seems to be trying very hard.

Overall, the place looks nice but no one seems to be trying very hard.

That is exactly the summary that my brother gave after telling me the story I posted. He said from kitchen to FOH it seemed that nobody really cared. When he pointed out the raw chicken they were just kind of like "Ok, whatever" and he pretty much got the same attitude from all three of the servers he had on his visits and the manager that offered him dessert.

I've eaten here several times, twice for dinner and once for lunch. It has the promise of being a great neighborhood place, but the prices are to high to be a regular "go-to" spot (if they just shaved off a couple dollars for most items it might be more palatable). I had the grilled romaine salad which is dressed with an olive, sun-dried tomato and feta dressing (surprisingly tasty), the fried chicken with onion gravy and mashed potatoes (large portion, great), and a chicken sandwich at lunch (ok, not memorable). Don't get the crab and shrimp mac and cheese (overcooked, lacked flavor, dry). The one time we ordered a burger medium rare it was way overcooked (we did not make a stink because we didn't expect to be comped but we did mention it at the end of the meal). The chocolate cake dessert is delicious with an alcohol?- spiked whipped cream, also quite large. Service has been great each time we've visited- the host was really nice and seated us in an out-of- the- way spot so we could stash our baby stroller and breastfeed our baby if necessary. One waitress, Amy, stood out as particularly good.

I like having this place in the neighborhood, mostly because it is one of the only nicer sit-down dining options around, but it may not be able to sustain its allure once Jamie Leeds' gastropub and other restaurants open around there, especially if others' reports are true that they aren't trying too hard to please or keep customers.

The best thing I can say about brunch today was the Bloody Mary was good. Lots of options to make it your own. Unfortunately the fries were limp and soggy, eggs benedict had over cooked eggs, soggy bread and bland hollandaise, and they put cheese on their crab cake BLT, which was lots of cake, little bacon and almost no crab. Also, the bar stools are ridiculously high and for a short person, much too difficult to get on. The bartenders were great but unfortunately they couldn't make up for what was missing in the food.

I say just walk a few blocks to Red Rocks or for the price of what you probably would have paid at The Heights for appetizers and drinks go to El Rinconcito and stuff yourself silly with margaritas and great salvadorean/mexican fare.

It wasn't my birthday, so I didn't have much of a choice.

Food was definitely mediocre at best. I started with the fried artichokes. Skimpy portion and possibly left in the fryer several seconds too long. The fried chicken was juicy but lacked any discernible seasoning. The gravy and mashed potatoes were equally bland.

Service was actually pretty good, but I am definitely not going back.

Lunch at The Heights is a nice atmosphere. It really is a neat room, with the high ceilings, big windows, and comfortable bar, and it was empty, so it was also nice and quiet. The service is friendly and the beer list is good, if really small.

But the food. Come on, guys. You're in the food business! The blackened chicken sandwich with sundried tomatoes was a sinfully over-cooked piece of meat on a decent bun with... sundried tomatoes. Like whole, oil-packed sundried tomatoes. Lettuce and fresh tomato are served on the side, and I ordered mayo after I took my first bite, but nothing could save this thing, whose texture mostly came down to a piece of particle board topped with oily leather. The fries were okay.

Lunch at The Heights is a nice atmosphere. It really is a neat room, with the high ceilings, big windows, and comfortable bar, and it was empty, so it was also nice and quiet. The service is friendly and the beer list is good, if really small.

But the food. Come on, guys. You're in the food business! The blackened chicken sandwich with sundried tomatoes was a sinfully over-cooked piece of meat on a decent bun with... sundried tomatoes. Like whole, oil-packed sundried tomatoes. Lettuce and fresh tomato are served on the side, and I ordered mayo after I took my first bite, but nothing could save this thing, whose texture mostly came down to a piece of particle board topped with oily leather. The fries were okay.

It should be noted that their Ginger Squid is junk food crack, and their Buffalo Wings pass muster with this aficionado. I walked past the place a hundred times over several years before stopping in and am rapidly starting to think of it as a decent local bar -- friendly staff, comfy interior, OK beer and wine.

On the other hand, as a restaurant: probably not.

It should be noted that their Ginger Sqid is junk food crack, and their Buffalo Wings pass muster with this aficionado. I walked past the place a hundred times over several years before stopping in and am rapidly starting to think of it as a decent local bar -- friendly staff, comfy interior, OK beer and wine.

On the other hand, as a restaurant: probably not.

After living nearby for a year, I'd never been before a few weeks ago, but my friends gave me the same impression: good neighborhood joint for brunch or a drink. Thanks for the squid tip--I'll give it a go next time.

I didn't have high expectations for the food when we went to The Heights for brunch today, but it ended up being pretty good. Gourmet it is not, but not bad for a neighborhood place (my friends who live within walking distance go frequently enough and enjoy it. Apparently the HH is good). They also were open for brunch on a holiday starting at 9am, which is good to know.

It has to be noted that the Bloody Mary options are excellent. About 10 vodka choices, plus a couple tequila and gin. Four levels of spicy to choose from, plus add ons such as beef broth, Old Bay, and Wasabi. Then you get 3 "dress ups" like olives, celery, pickle, jicama, and pickled ginger. Finally you can add on smoked bacon, steamed shrimp, or beef jerky. My Absolut Peppar, spicy, with celery, jicama, pickle, and bacon was good, and almost a meal with everything in it. The seasoning on the rim of the glass was particularly tasty. It's a bit expensive at $8.50 a glass, but it is 16oz and the customization is fun.

The brunch menu includes a lot of lunch apps, salads, and sandwiches, along with a large number of fairly unique brunch options. We were also served a basket of bread that included a raisin nut bread and I think a sourdough. I had the Huevos MotuleƱos (w. Eggs, Chicken, Plantains, Avocado, Black Beans & Salsa $8.95) and was pleased. It seemed somewhat on the healthier side with no potatoes or bread, but was still plenty filling with chicken, eggs, and beans. The eggs are cooked to order, and my over easy ones were nice and runny. I also got a side of Potato Pancakes (sour cream or applesauce $3) that included 3 crispy pancakes that were a nice accompaniment.

My +1 had Breakfast Burrito w. Fresh Salsa ($9.75 Eggs, Bacon, Cheddar, Cilantro, Roasted Red Peppers, Shallots) that he liked. The eggs inside seemed very fluffy and the bacon offered a nice crunch. This was served with brunch potatoes that looked a little greasy, but he finished them all. Our friends had Breakfast Platter (w. Eggs, Bacon, Turkey Sausage & Potato Pancakes $10.50) and Turkey Sausage Hash (w. Potatoes, Eggs, Cheddar & White Wine Cream $11.50). I didn't try either, but I know the one friend gets the hash every time and really likes it.

Our server was very friendly and efficient, and after some spotty service at other places this weekend, that was much appreciated.

The Heights, the lowly Columbia Heights eatery, is closing for reconcepting on October 27th, to reopen with new chef Kerry Tate on or about November 1st, the reopening including a dining-room renovation. Let's hope it's better than it was.

Source: PoPville

The_heights_columbia_heights.jpg
3115 14th Street, NW

From a press release:

"David Winer, Principal of EatWell DC LLC, announces the complete refresh of The Heights, the American eatery in Columbia Heights. The neighborhood staple will have an updated look to accompany a new menu created by the recently-appointed Head Chef, Kerry Tate. The Heights will close Sunday, October 27 and offer an all-day Everything Must Go half-off sale. The dining-room and bar will undergo a renovation before reopening five days later on Friday, November 1 at 5:00 p.m. with Happy Hour offered all night at the bar and in the new lounge area. ...

Read full article >>