Rice 'N Noodles, Pan-Everything Cafeteria at 22nd and G Street in Foggy Bottom - GWU'd

Rice 'N Noodles at 22nd & G, NW, is closed, done in by some sort of real estate deal. In terms of economic and social mix, it was the closest I've seen in these parts to Pittsburgh's Primanti Bros. Construction workers, business people, hospital personnel, GW students, professors and even President Trachtenberg were liable to be sharing your formica. Cheap eats from seven or eight cultures were available, including Central American, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino and African American. Everything was available hot -- and HOT (i.e., caliente y picante). I particularly liked the seafood soup, the rice & beans, and various permutations of gyoza. The language behind the counter was Spanish; behind the cash register, Korean. Mixed populations tended to talk to each other. It never busted your wallet. I don't know another place like it around DC.

On 8/17/2007 at 2:37 PM, StephenB said:

Rice 'N Noodles at 22nd & G, NW, is closed, done in by some sort of real estate deal. In terms of economic and social mix, it was the closest I've seen in these parts to Pittsburgh's Primanti Bros. Construction workers, business people, hospital personnel, GW students, professors and even President Trachtenberg were liable to be sharing your formica. 

President Trachtenberg (*) was probably there scoping out the value of the land.

Apr 7, 2002: "Building the Imperial University" by Christopher Shea on washingtonpost.com

Does anyone know the fate of that one, hold-out townhouse right around this area? They didn't sell to GWU, so GWU simply build around-and-over them. Every time I walked past this place, I'd silently cheer for the owner - I think it might have been Don Kreuzer, to whom they refer in the Post article.

Has anyone ever stopped and wondered *why* Founding Farmers is always mobbed? Think about it.

Here's a map of 22nd and G Street NW now:

Screenshot 2016-07-09 at 12.03.23.png

(*) When Trachtenberg took office in 1988, tuition was $9,570; when he left in 2007, tuition was $37,790. When he took office in 1988, tuition was 85% of the national median; when he left in 2007, tuition was 125% of the national median. I'm not saying these figures are good or bad; they're merely facts which you can see if you click on his name (and go to the Wikipedia article).