Il Fornaio, Reston

My wife and I had dinner at Il Fornaio in Midtown West on its opening night this evening. Remarkably, for a Monday night, the line was literally out the door.

I cannot tell you how much I missed Bebo-despite all the criticism of this board. Or the nearby Carabba's for that matter! Il Fornaio will be empty in three months...

Sietsema Review - "Il Fornaio is clearly dedicated to making its many customers feel wanted and comfortable. But good service and a handsome setting aren't enough to attract patrons looking for discernment on the plate. "

True, but it's a nice alternative when dining out with an extended family of 12. Went here for my FIL's birthday at the end of Nov, and the service was great, the bread was fantastic and the food was good for what it is. I liked it better than our meal at Mama Lucia's. And sorry, Joe, I thought it was miles better than Carrabbas.

The pickins are slim for an affordable place to take a large family for get-togethers. My FIL would be just fine going to Ruby Tuesday or Macaroni Grill, so I'm pretty pleased to have an affordable option that has good service and a handsome setting since for these types of functions we don't fall into the "discernment on the plate" category.

I have been here twice, once for lunch right when it opened and once for drinks, and a few snacks, in the bar a month or so ago. The review is right about the service, I almost cried when I finally got a manager/host/server/busboy at a mid-level restaurant to treat me the way that a customer should be treated. The food was fine, but I am guessing that most people in the suburbs will love it. And, with how busy it has been when I drive by it, I guess people are happy that it is in the neighborhood.

My guess is that once all these new restaurants open up out there - Mon Ami Gabi, Jackson's, Passion Foods, White Chocolate Grill, etc. - Il Fornaio will lose some business because it won't be the new kid on the block anymore, but it will still do quite well.

I have been here twice, once for lunch right when it opened and once for drinks, and a few snacks, in the bar a month or so ago. The review is right about the service, I almost cried when I finally got a manager/host/server/busboy at a mid-level restaurant to treat me the way that a customer should be treated. The food was fine, but I am guessing that most people in the suburbs will love it. And, with how busy it has been when I drive by it, I guess people are happy that it is in the neighborhood.

My guess is that once all these new restaurants open up out there - Mon Ami Gabi, Jackson's, Passion Foods, White Chocolate Grill, etc. - Il Fornaio will lose some business because it won't be the new kid on the block anymore, but it will still do quite well.

"The food was fine, but I am guessing that most people in the suburbs will love it."

Maestro was in the suburbs.

"The food was fine, but I am guessing that most people in the suburbs will love it."

Would you care to explain this comment?

No explanation needed, just walk into any Chilis, TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, etc. and I think you will understand what jt is talking about.

FWIW, I live in the suburbs.

Maestro was in the suburbs.
Yeah, we had my 5 year old's soccer banquet there. Great chicken tenders with interesting dipping sauces. The root beer that Vincent selected was outstanding (and in our price range! :( ). Sorry to hear they closed, but I understand there's a new man on the fryer at 1789, and it is almost basketball season......

No explanation needed, just walk into any Chilis, TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, etc. and I think you will understand what jt is talking about.

FWIW, I live in the suburbs.

I grew up in the suburbs, moved to Fairfax when I was six years old. In fact, other than my five years in Arlington, which isn't technically "the city", I have lived in the suburbs my whole life. I live out there now, in Fairfax right by Wegmans, to be closer to my family.

There obviously are some great restaurants in the suburbs and I always wish for more and more of them to open up, but I don't think I am shocking the world by saying that you are going to find better places to eat in the city as opposed to out in the suburbs. And, while Il Fornaio is not a great place to eat, I do think that it is a very solid place to eat and a welcome addition to the dining scene. It may be a chain, but it is a relatively small chain and a new one to the area, so many suburbanites will love going there because it offers them something different from the typical chains, they take reservations and they can enjoy a night out on the town in a nice setting without breaking the bank or traveling far away from their homes.

So, while it would be nice to have every new restaurant that opens in the suburbs to be an independently owned operation that is offering up something new and exciting, it is not realistic, so seeing a place like Il Fornaio as opposed to the 100th Olive Garden out here is a nice change.

That is all that I was trying to say.

I grew up in the suburbs, moved to Fairfax when I was six years old. In fact, other than my five years in Arlington, which isn't technically "the city", I have lived in the suburbs my whole life. I live out there now, in Fairfax right by Wegmans, to be closer to my family.

There obviously are some great restaurants in the suburbs and I always wish for more and more of them to open up, but I don't think I am shocking the world by saying that you are going to find better places to eat in the city as opposed to out in the suburbs. And, while Il Fornaio is not a great place to eat, I do think that it is a very solid place to eat and a welcome addition to the dining scene. It may be a chain, but it is a relatively small chain and a new one to the area, so many suburbanites will love going there because it offers them something different from the typical chains, they take reservations and they can enjoy a night out on the town in a nice setting without breaking the bank or traveling far away from their homes.

So, while it would be nice to have every new restaurant that opens in the suburbs to be an independently owned operation that is offering up something new and exciting, it is not realistic, so seeing a place like Il Fornaio as opposed to the 100th Olive Garden out here is a nice change.

That is all that I was trying to say.

i'm kind of shocked by these reviews- but then again i have still never been to RTC and still think Ruth Chris steaks are delicious... clearly i am a novice compared to many of you!

anyway- we dined here recently and it was packed, and superb- from the service, to the recommended wine pairing, originaity and fresh flaovrs of the dishes- i was truly impressed. my husband is a Brooklyn Italian boy and rarely has compients for restaurants like Il Fornaio since he grew up on the real deal, but even HE was happywith the food. all of the other comments here are from last year- they must have made some changes because we were thrilled with the attention we received and the quality of every course- especially given our choices for upscale Italian here in the 'burbs.

i won't rehash the entire review i wrote of the place, but i can't wait to go back- they spotlight a different region of italy each month or so, and have an intruiging menufrom Napoli til June 15th! Adiamo all'Italia!