Bear Rock Cafe, Shirlington (East Falls Church Branch Became Chasin' Tails) - Closed

I give Bear Rock a solid "Meh"

They have baked potatoes and salad, which is a nice break from the endless breadfest of most coffee places, but they're

a) the size of my shoe

b ) untasty as can be

c) drowned in half a container of sour cream

d) that wasn't the freshest ever.

The coffee was fresh, but kind of weak and nasty to my taste (but if it's not whipped to soft peaks, I'm not a happy girl).

I just want to know what's up with the wildnerness/log cabin themes in coffee shops - first Caribou, now Bear Paw. Does coffee taste better if it's got some fur associated with it?

Since we live less than 2 blocks away, the wife and I stopped by last night for dinner. The burger was not very good, definitely overpriced, the pepperoni pizzeta was decent. Service was friendly (you order at the cashier and they bring you your food at your table), though the cashier seemed confused with some basic questions.

We'll probably stop by once in a while since its so close, but its not worth a trip for anyone.

I do have to admit that I did get quite a laugh when I read the description of my pizzeta with its "pomodoro tomato" sauce. That sauce must use a lot of tomatoes!

I just want to know what's up with the wildnerness/log cabin themes in coffee shops - first Caribou, now Bear Paw. Does coffee taste better if it's got some fur associated with it?

Not sure about Bear Paw, but Caribou comes by their 'theme' honestly, being founded in Minnesota, with the name drawn from scenes from an Alaskan visit.

I've strolled by Bear Paw in Shirlington - looks like a comfortable place but didn't inspire me enough to check it out.

If it's the same Bear Rock that has/had a location in Winston-Salem, NC I remember it being fine but that their chicken salad was very tasty.

It is. I've eaten at Bear Rock a number of times when I lived in central NC and thought it came out pretty well against it's competition (which I'd consider to probably be Subway and Panera).