Crawfish

i've been craving crawfish since I put the feed bag on last may. The season is right around the corner and I still have not found anywhere around the Wash/Balt. area that serves them. I'd appreciate any heads up on a place.

Also does anyone know a dist. that will sell them by the sack?

i've been craving crawfish since I put the feed bag on last may. The season is right around the corner and I still have not found anywhere around the Wash/Balt. area that serves them. I'd appreciate any heads up on a place.

Prepared in which way? I seem to recall that they're more-or-less always on the menu at Okra's in Old Town Manassas, but it's been more than a few years since I ate there on a regular basis.

Crawfish this time of year are small, wait until later. If you order some shipped here, try to see if you can get some Belle River crawfish, those are the best.

But back home we would only boil live crawfish, and when they are chilled after boiling they lose the loveliness.

I am no longer an active member of the Tulane Alumni club, but I know they get live crawfish here, and so does LSU alumni, and also there is a group of transplanted Louisianians who do, just can't remember the name of the organization. Edit: Louisiana State Society.

Edit again: these people ship sacks of live crawfish, including Belle River variety (white crawfish) but for the price, you could fly to Louisiana! Also, to boil a sack of crawfish, you need a crawfish pot, one of those outdoor gas rings and a big pot, like they use for frying turkeys.

Let me know if you want to do it, I might chip in, although I probably will just fly home for Jazz Fest.

Edit yet again: maybe we could do this for the picnic? If so, we need to take up a collection.

Not sure how big a sack you are looking for, but I bought a one pound bag of certified Louisiana crawfish at the Arlington Whole Foods about two weeks ago. They were frozen, not fresh.

Crawfish this time of year are small, wait until later. If you order some shipped here, try to see if you can get some Belle River crawfish, those are the best.

But back home we would only boil live crawfish, and when they are chilled after boiling they lose the loveliness.

I am no longer an active member of the Tulane Alumni club, but I know they get live crawfish here, and so does LSU alumni, and also there is a group of transplanted Louisianians who do, just can't remember the name of the organization. Edit: Louisiana State Society.

Edit again: these people ship sacks of live crawfish, including Belle River variety (white crawfish) but for the price, you could fly to Louisiana! Also, to boil a sack of crawfish, you need a crawfish pot, one of those outdoor gas rings and a big pot, like they use for frying turkeys.

Let me know if you want to do it, I might chip in, although I probably will just fly home for Jazz Fest.

Edit yet again: maybe we could do this for the picnic? If so, we need to take up a collection.

Agreed. Not season yet. They always seem prime around easter but certainly got the craving for a good boil. The problem is that it hard to find around here even in season. I'm not looking for frozen, thank you for the suggestions though. I'm looking for a resturant that serves boiled crawfish. If not would be glad with place that will sell a big sack of live ones. Picnic, what a great idea!!!

Agreed. Not season yet. They always seem prime around easter but certainly got the craving for a good boil. The problem is that it hard to find around here even in season. I'm not looking for frozen, thank you for the suggestions though. I'm looking for a resturant that serves boiled crawfish. If not would be glad with place that will sell a big sack of live ones. Picnic, what a great idea!!!
Just called Okra's. The manager says they will definitely have 1000 pounds of crawfish flown into Dulles for May 3, 2008, when they have a Jazz Fest party, and will also fly in perhaps 8 other times during the season.

I have never been to Okra's, will give them a try. I have had dismal luck with New Orleans style food outside Louisiana but willing to be surprised. I go out to court in Manassas a couple times a month anyway, and generally just grab a salad in the courthouse, so am curious, not to mention homesick.

thanks for all the info. I called Okra's and they indicated they may do one but they didn't do a boil last year. Also called a couple fish suppliers and no luck yet. Anyone know a seafood place they may be able to get a sack at a reasonalble price.

When we were in Eden Center a week ago, we saw a big sign outside Saigon Garden proclaiming that it is now some sort of joint featuring crawfish. We were headed elsewhere so I didn't check to see if they still have their old menu as well; they used to have a baby clam on rice in a hot iron pot that was a real winner.