Consumers Getting Less Food for the Same Prices

JLK

WJLA piece.

It wasn't long ago that yogurt makers decided us to short us an ounce and charge the same price. Now I'm noticing it with milk (3/4 of a gallon instead of a full gallon) and ice cream (1.5 quarts from Edy's that looks normal until you put it side by side the carton you bought a month ago). It's pretty genius actually because many people would never take the time to investigate the matter. But I noticed, and I'm ticked. :lol:

WJLA piece.

It wasn't long ago that yogurt makers decided us to short us an ounce and charge the same price. Now I'm noticing it with milk (3/4 of a gallon instead of a full gallon) and ice cream (1.5 quarts from Edy's that looks normal until you put it side by side the carton you bought a month ago). It's pretty genius actually because many people would never take the time to investigate the matter. But I noticed, and I'm ticked. :lol:

I saw this piece and thought that it is a rather deceptive practice. Manufacturers can claim that it's because food prices are rising, but to me it's plain subterfuge. :lol:

This was done a while ago when candy bars got smaller for the same amount. IIRC some research was done that found that consumers would be more amenable to a smaller bar for the same price versus the same bar for a higher price.

This really isn't news. I remember this happening to coffee during some sort of bean crisis in the 70s or 80s. What was once a 16 oz can is now 11.5 oz. But the yogurt down-sizing really burns me. Think about all the recipes that call for a cup of yogurt. Are recipe writers taking that into consideration and adding other ingredients to make up for the 2 less ounces?

I blame Lafite-Rothschild for starting all of this.

Is your double magnum just a magnum these days?

For decades, a ".750" of Chateau Lafite was only 730 ml. Sometime between 1976 (which is 730 ml) and 1979 (which is 750 ml), they changed to the standard-sized bottle.

I knew that.. I think the issue is that the BATF would not accept bottles that are not standard sized any more and Lafite's exemption ran out. I had a bottle of Mascarello Bartolo Brunello 1959 from a 1.9 liter that would be illegal to import these days!