Best Beer Lists

jcc

At the Baja Bean in Staunton, VA over the holiday they had:

North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner

Lancaster Winter Warmer Ale

Clipper City Winter Storm "Category 5" Ale

All on tap... If I could find any of these around here I'd be a happy camper (esp. the Scrimshaw).

At the Baja Bean in Staunton, VA over the holiday they had:

North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner

Lancaster Winter Warmer Ale

Clipper City Winter Storm "Category 5" Ale

All on tap... If I could find any of these around here I'd be a happy camper (esp. the Scrimshaw).

Those last two were on tap at Boulevard Woodgrill in Arlington in the beginning of January (and may still be), along with Clipper City's "Below Decks" barleywine and some other interesting selections.

Recently went to the Bierria Paradisio bar of Pizzeria Paradiso in Gtown. Had never been for food, and didn't eat this time either. But I have heard many friends rave about their food. Back to the beer: would highly recommend starting out with either the Beligain or the American micro-brew sample platter if you're there with friends. Then get some cask ale and relax and enjoy the nice weather. Made for a nice Friday afternoon break.

I'm just glad that Brickskeller is no longer the monopoly in the DC beer scene, and I hope the trend continues, granted its always fun going into that anachronisic tavern. I have the ridiclous wish that they would serve their listed beers cold or at aleast warm. But aside from the service, RFD seems a step above their sister.

I've got an 8 mile run tommom, then going to the Capitols game at 3 and will rehydrate with some miller lite or whatever it is they sell there. But once that's over, I will be on the prowl to get some good beers. before cooking some garlic/beet/pasta from a local farmers market. Thinking of adding an oil and white whie wieh some goat cheese to complement the parta. Then it will be time for Sopranos!

Anyone have any beer store recommendations from MCI>Verizon center back into Courthouse Arlington, so I will need to get my hands on some real beers before Sopranos kicks off. Otherwise, I'm pretty much stuck to the local Whole foods. And as convenientlly located, and as good a selection they have, I would really like to buy from either an independent store or from a big one that has plenty more to choose from......SHould i just make the trek (for me) and go to Chevy Chase Liquors?

Additionaly, any outdoor seating places were you can order drinks/bottle of wine, and not get hassled to order the entree?

Time for bed kiddies, tomorrow is a big day

Bourbon in Adams Morgan now has Dogfish 60 Minute on tap. Good stuff. If I'm not mistaken, it replaced the Hook & Ladder Backdraft Brown.

And Saint-Ex had Belhaven Scottish Ale on tap the last time I was there. Is there a place in town that has a great selection of English ales on tap that I am missing?

Currently on the beer engine at Rustico - Allagash Grand Cru, on deck Victory Hop Devil, in the hole St. George IPA, coming soon Victory Hop Wallop... New on tap right now - Coniston Blue Bird Bitter, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog and St. Bernardus Abt 12...

Let me know when the Blue Bird is on the beer engine and I'll be moving in......

Gordon Biersch (DC) released a Baltic Porter this week. Since last night's usual commitment was now free, I decided to try it while I had the chance. It's a lovely example of the style. Smooth roasty toasty malt with a nice chocolate backbone. A bulked up version of the Schwarzbier (easily the best of the regular offerings). 7.8% abv, so there's some heft to it.

Gordon Biersch (DC) released a Baltic Porter this week. ... A bulked up version of the Schwarzbier (easily the best of the regular offerings).

How are their regular offerings these days? I used to love the place when they first opened (in Palo Alto), but since then I've found it less and less memorable...not sure if that's because of the beer, expansion, or me.

Noted at BP: Eggenberg "Natur" (unfiltered) in bottles. Apparently Eggenberg has a new distributor in the US who's working overtime to raise their visibility, including making Samichlaus available. Also spotted on BP's coming soon board: Bell's Hopslam on draft.

How are their regular offerings these days? I used to love the place when they first opened (in Palo Alto), but since then I've found it less and less memorable...not sure if that's because of the beer, expansion, or me.

Noted at BP: Eggenberg "Natur" (unfiltered) in bottles. Apparently Eggenberg has a new distributor in the US who's working overtime to raise their visibility, including making Samichlaus available. Also spotted on BP's coming soon board: Bell's Hopslam on draft.

The regular offerings are what they are: perfectly fine and well-crafted lagers. I certainly feel that the Schwarzbier is the best of the bunch. None of the beers truly "wow" me, but that's not often the intent of German brewers anyways. Unless we're talking dopplebocks or rauchbiers, and even then they are still shooting for balance and drinkability (not to mention constant replication). I'm not gonna get mad at an apple for not being an orange, if you catch my drift.

Eggenberg is a solid brewery and their pils is an awesome summer quaffer. Wonderfully delicate.

FYI, the Reef just changed 3 of their lines. I'm waiting for the list of what came and went but I know that the Allagash Dubbel came on the lines and man is that good.

On a side note I had this great Belgian brown this last weekend at Monk's in Philly- Kwak. Anyone know where I can find that down here?

Lasses and laddies, get thee to BP, where on the cask you'll find them pulling pints of Orkney Dark Island. A rich, malty dark ale that was just outrageously good. Their tasting notes indicated a level of smokiness, although I didn't really taste it. And they said it was 6.5%, but I didn't taste it being that strong either. This is the kind of beer that loves beer engines and the kind of beer that beer engines love to serve. They're pouring half pints for $4. I have no idea why they're pouring them that way. Ask nicely for a double and they'll serve it the way you'll want it. I'm unsure when it was tapped, but if there's any left by Saturday, it'll probably be past its prime. But, damn, I'd give anything to see more low alcohol UK ales being poured and BP is spot on right now.

ETA: according to the distributor's website, it's 4.6%. AND it took a silver medal at CAMRA's Winter Ale Festival last month.

went to BP last night. Nice selection, but where on earth did they get this staff? The guy working the beer bar knew so little about the beer it was disgusting. Maybe I'm a snob coming from the Reef where I have Brian, Carl, Kat, Kim and Zach who all know so much about each beer they have, but I ended up having to make all the decisions myself without much if any help. Come on, if you've got a beer on tap you should be able to help me out with things like "what kind of hops are in this" and "how hoppy is that compared to let's say a sierra nevada pale". Dude was an idiot.

went to BP last night. Nice selection, but where on earth did they get this staff? The guy working the beer bar knew so little about the beer it was disgusting. Maybe I'm a snob coming from the Reef where I have Brian, Carl, Kat, Kim and Zach who all know so much about each beer they have, but I ended up having to make all the decisions myself without much if any help. Come on, if you've got a beer on tap you should be able to help me out with things like "what kind of hops are in this" and "how hoppy is that compared to let's say a sierra nevada pale". Dude was an idiot.

Wow. I've never had a bad server at BP, but granted I don't go there as often as I'd like. Still, it's a much larger list of beers at BP than Reef and a more quickly rotating tap list, so you gotta cut them some slack there. And seriously, I don't think I've ever had a server anywhere that knew what kind of hops are in each beer. I think I'd be a little afraid of them if they did: that's some hardcore beer-nerd knowledge. And regardless, the tap list at BP has a decent level of detail on each beer, if I remember correctly. That doesn't excuse poor service, but it means you still get information about the beers if your server happens to be new.

Wow. I've never had a bad server at BP, but granted I don't go there as often as I'd like. Still, it's a much larger list of beers at BP than Reef and a more quickly rotating tap list, so you gotta cut them some slack there. And seriously, I don't think I've ever had a server anywhere that knew what kind of hops are in each beer. I think I'd be a little afraid of them if they did: that's some hardcore beer-nerd knowledge. And regardless, the tap list at BP has a decent level of detail on each beer, if I remember correctly. That doesn't excuse poor service, but it means you still get information about the beers if your server happens to be new.
I expect him to know what is super hoppy and what isn't. That isn't asking too much. (Go ask Brian what kind of hops are in each beer and he'll tell you not just that but how the beer is made, where the recipe came from, etc.). I'll cut them a little slack but the service was just not so great. I don't expect much from that place honestly. The food is just mediocre, the beer selection is good, but nothing that I've never seen before, and the service has never been great. It's just acceptable for what it is. If I'm going to just drink beer I can think of places, even besides the Reef, with better lists or more creative lists through this city that I'd rather go to. I'm not slamming so hard down on this place, but it's just not my favorite.

...If I'm going to just drink beer I can think of places ... with better lists or more creative lists through this city that I'd rather go to.

I don't think that BP is the greatest thing ever, but I gotta call shenanigans on this claim.

If you think there are better or more creative lists than BP, name em.

(Go ask Brian what kind of hops are in each beer and he'll tell you not just that but how the beer is made, where the recipe came from, etc.)

Very true, and one of the many reasons that interacting with the owner of an establishment is great. Ask a typical server at The Reef what kind of hops are in a beer and you'll get a blank stare.

Greg's done a great job taking over from Thor at BP, you may have better luck talking with him when he's tending bar as he's a real hop head.

I don't think that BP is the greatest thing ever, but I gotta call shenanigans on this claim.

If you think there are better or more creative lists than BP, name em.

I prefer the Blue Room's list and the RFD/Brickskellar lists. For draft I prefer The Reef, Saloon on U, and sometimes RFD, but mainly after games.

Very true, and one of the many reasons that interacting with the owner of an establishment is great. Ask a typical server at The Reef what kind of hops are in a beer and you'll get a blank stare.

Greg's done a great job taking over from Thor at BP, you may have better luck talking with him when he's tending bar as he's a real hop head.

I'd disagree with your comment about the Reef. There are at least 3 servers I can think of off the top of my head who can give you a significant amount of detail about all their beers on tap (as long as it has been on tap for more than 24 hours so they've had a chance to taste and get to know the beer a touch)

Just a head's up- the Reef reopened it's redone roof last night where it is legal to smoke (it's technically outdoors, though very tented in and with a great new heating system- you might still want a heavy sweater or jacket while they work out the kinks). Also, the John's Lockerstock 1981 (Rogue) came off the taps and the Brutal Black Bitter came on. Me, I'm still drinking the Allagash Dubbel and the regular DeKonik

Reef added 3 new beers- I remember one of them as the Flying Dog Old Skratch and another one being a Dogfishead Brown, but I can't remember the 3rd for the life of me.

Funny fact about the Reef: Chimay coasters with no Chimay currently on tap :o

Colorado Kitchen (a very good dinner, and if you haven't been lately, CK has one of the better beer selections in town)

Guess I need to make the trek up there. Any specific highlights?

Oh btw, Paradiso has some rockin stuff on tap right now. Bear Republic Red Rocket (a big hoppy red), Great Divide Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout (omg. a silken, bourbony, fantastic boozy beer), and a bunch of other stuff that I can't recall at the moment.

I'll be pouring tonight at Rustico's OtterCreek/Wolaver's Glassware Giveaway (6-9pm), where we'll be pouring the following:

Wolaver's Farmhouse Ale (Saison)

Otter Creek Otteroo (Australian Sparkling Ale)

Otter Creek Oktoberfest

Wolaver's Brown Ale

Otter Creek Copper Ale (on cask)

Buy the beer, keep the glass.

[/plug]

I picked up the 750 of Allagash Curieux at Whole Foods the other day and really really liked it. The beer is aged in Jim Beam barrels for 8 weeks before bottling, which gives it very nice bourbon/vanilla undertones on the palette. Pricey at $16 a pop, but it'll be hard to not pick one of these up each time I go back.

We have this on tap at Rustico at the moment. Also Ola Dubh is on cask. Also Lagunitas Maximus (Double IPA) and the St. Michaelsburg Kellerbier. Tasty times.

We have this on tap at Rustico at the moment. Also Ola Dubh is on cask. Also Lagunitas Maximus (Double IPA) and the St. Michaelsburg Kellerbier. Tasty times.

Nice. You called two out of three on my from my visit there the other day. If you're a scotch fan, you'll love the Ola Dubh. No argument in what kind of casks this beer lived in. At 8% it's a bit too heavy for my tastes (and at $12 for an 8oz glass it's a bit too heavy for my wallet) but, as Greg explained, it's the most expensive beer he's ever purchased for Rustico and considering how much a pound sterling costs these days, I understand. And I'm glad it's there for folks to try. I had one and the moved on to the Kellerbier, which was killer beer. Yum.

Let me know if and when a Bitter and Twisted appears on cask. There's no better way I can think of to say "Next stop, Rustico!"

I'm finding less and less reasons to go back to Brasserie Beck with each visit, but goddamn, I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't stop by just for a bottle of Houblon Chouffe, which is somewhere between golden and amber in color, with a big head and great malt for such a light beer. Not a bargain by any means for $10, but if you are a fan of beers that are a little lighter but still taste like malt and hops, this is at the top of the heap of what I have had.

Two of the big things about Beef O'Brady's from the people I worked with were that you couldn't smoke in there and that it was really quite tiny - the bar area especially.

I'm kind of surprised about the brewpub but it'd really gone downhill. When we first moved out to Ashburn (the company, that is, right around the corner from Old Dominion Brewpub) it was a really popular place. Soon, though, people stopped going there. And when they yanked out all the "extra" beers that they used to have on tap there was even less reason to go there.

On a different note...anyone see Imbibe's list of 100 best places to drink beer in America? The DC ones listed were:

Best Beer Shops: Chevy Chase Wine and Spirits

Best International Selection: Birreria Paradiso

Best International Selection: Rustico (starred selection)

Best Bottle Lists: The Brickskeller (starred selection)

Best Belgians: Brasserie Beck

Best Gastropubs: Granville Moore's

They also had Capital Ale House in Richmond, a couple of places in Baltimore, and a beer shop in Charlottesville...amongst, of course, other places.

Best Bottle Lists: The Brickskeller (starred selection)
I may have covered this in previous posts, but I will say it again, you can't look at Brickskeller's list to get a represenation of their beer selection. Maybe things have changed but when I used to go there in my late and post-AU days you would have to make 3-4 selections to find one they actually had in stock. That huge list is great and all but if you are continually out of like 40-60 percent of it what is the point?

I may have covered this in previous posts, but I will say it again, you can't look at Brickskeller's list to get a represenation of their beer selection. Maybe things have changed but when I used to go there in my late and post-AU days you would have to make 3-4 selections to find one they actually had in stock. That huge list is great and all but if you are continually out of like 40-60 percent of it what is the point?

That's why you sit at the bar, where the feedback loop is tighter, and your bartender can tell you about new stuff that's come in. God help you if you are sitting upstairs on a weekend night. ;) The thing is, even with the availability and service issues that you can encounter at the Brickskeller, it's still a massive list and can be a great place to have a beer, and that means it will be on these sorts of lists as long as it's open. Honestly, I think those 6 DC-area awards are spot-on (and not just because I work at one of them :lol:). The rare stuff you can get at Beck, the great tap list at Birreria, the stellar stash at Chevy Chase, etc etc.

Anybody got a link to the list itself? I couldn't find it anywhere in a brief search. Would be interesting to see what other cities are well-represented.