Baby Shower

ngdb

Hello,

Well, I've done it again. I've waited until the absolute last minute to begin my party planning duties. I am in charge of throwing a baby shower for my sister the second weekend of December. Which means I need to get the invitations out ASAP.

I can always throw it at home, but was hoping to get some ideas for a restaurant (or another venue, doesn't have to be a restaurant) to host it at.

I have inquires in to Buzz Bakery, La Strada, and Talulla/EatBar.

I need a space that can hold 20-25 - I'm thinking of doing an early afternoon event, so it doesn't need to be a seated meal - can be snack and drinks and some sweets. If I could bring my own cake, that would be great.

It can be in DC, but Alexandria or Arlington would be especially convenient.

I do need it to be affordable - since this is the first of 3 (yes, three) I will be hosting this season. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

I appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks,

Noel

I think Rumberos would work really well. I was shocked when a friend of mine suggested it for a recent joint one-year old party that we had, but it was absolutely perfect!!! They let us bring in the cake and they provided lots of food (gallo pinto, milanesa slices, quesadilla pieces, and so much more), and we had the whole space in the back for all afternoon. We came an hour or so early to decorate and arrange the furniture, and it was perfect. The total - for about 50 people - was a little over $500. (excluding drinks: there was a cash bar if anyone wanted to drink). I think it would work really well for a baby shower!

Additionally, I went to a shower a few years ago at Leopold's, and it was extraodinarily well done. No idea how much it cost.

May I suggest PS7's? The space is fabulous and images can be seen at www.imagesbycarrie.smugmug.com

Hello,

Well, I've done it again. I've waited until the absolute last minute to begin my party planning duties. I am in charge of throwing a baby shower for my sister the second weekend of December. Which means I need to get the invitations out ASAP.

I can always throw it at home, but was hoping to get some ideas for a restaurant (or another venue, doesn't have to be a restaurant) to host it at.

I have inquires in to Buzz Bakery, La Strada, and Talulla/EatBar.

I need a space that can hold 20-25 - I'm thinking of doing an early afternoon event, so it doesn't need to be a seated meal - can be snack and drinks and some sweets. If I could bring my own cake, that would be great.

It can be in DC, but Alexandria or Arlington would be especially convenient.

I do need it to be affordable - since this is the first of 3 (yes, three) I will be hosting this season. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

I appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks,

Noel

My neighbor has been looking for somewhere that serves tea to hold a baby shower and has come up empty. I thought somebody here might have some ideas.

Her (desired) criteria are:

- located in Northern Virginia (some guests aren't familiar with the city/wouldn't be comfortable on Metro)

- traditional English tea service (my suggestions of Teaism and Ching Ching Cha weren't what she was looking for)

- space for 15-20 guests (a semi-private area is probably fine. I don't think she wants to pay to rent a separate room)

- weekend mid-afternoon

Too bad the English tearoom in Alexandria is long gone.

Any suggestions will be passed along (and appreciated).

Along similar lines, a friend is hosting a baby shower and was wondering if there are any bakery recommendations in Silver Spring? The request was for Strawberry Shortcake, but if there's a recommendation for a good bakery in general, I greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

My neighbor has been looking for somewhere that serves tea to hold a baby shower and has come up empty.

...Too bad the English tearoom in Alexandria is long gone.

I should have followed up on this post - they actually wound up at Caffe Fontaine, which was the home of the English tearoom. By all accounts the event was very nice. They were in the room at the rear of the restaurant, so had their own space. I believe she told me they each had a savory crepe and a sweet crepe and the cost was around $20/person. It wasn't really a tea, as had been the original plan, but turned out to be a good plan B.

Not sure about strawberry shortcake - I always think of Alexandria Pastry and Cafe in the Bradlee Shopping Center for cakes. Can't offer any Silver Spring suggestions.

Along similar lines, a friend is hosting a baby shower and was wondering if there are any bakery recommendations in Silver Spring? The request was for Strawberry Shortcake, but if there's a recommendation for a good bakery in general, I greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

1) Woodmoor Pastry Shop in Four Corners (301) 593-7667

10127 Colesville Rd

Silver Spring, MD 20901

2) Creative Cakes in Silver Spring (301) 587-1599

8814 Brookville Road

Silver Spring, MD 20910

One Sunday each month, Creative Cakes in Silver Spring, Maryland hosts an Open House where you can sample our different cake flavors, walk through our cake gallery, and browse through our many cake photo albums. While the main focus is on Weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, everyone is welcome to enjoy the festivities.

Sunday, 12 - 3 p.m.

May 17, 21, July 16, September 20, October 22

3) Just Cakes (in Bethesda--cut across EW Hwy from SS) (301) 718-5111

4849 Rugby Ave

Bethesda, MD 20814

1) Woodmoor Pastry Shop in Four Corners (301) 593-7667

10127 Colesville Rd Silver Spring, MD 20901

Got Nutty Buddy's B-day cake here and heard no complaints.
Thank you both soooo much! The cake was wonderful - a nice, rich, dark chocolate cake, with a top-layer of caramel right beneath the frosting. It was a definite hit at the shower!

Thank you both soooo much! The cake was wonderful - a nice, rich, dark chocolate cake, with a top-layer of caramel right beneath the frosting. It was a definite hit at the shower!

Glad to hear it was a success! I like the sound of that chocolate with caramel..I'll have to keep that one in mind for the future. :D