crackers

Rasika, with 2014 James Beard Award Winning Chef Vikram Sunderam, and Rasika West End, Modern Indian in Penn Quarter and West End

12 minutes ago, eatruneat said:

The meal was lovely and very good, but wish I had do-overs on the makkai kofta and chicken tikka masala. Guess I will have to order a bit more non-traditional the next time I am at Rasika. 

I was fooled by this line, and went an extra time to try and be open-minded: Learn from my mistakes.

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I was fooled by this line, and went an extra time to try and be open-minded: Learn from my mistakes.

Evergreen comment.

It has probably been about two years since my last visit to Rasika and it'll probably be another two years until my next one. Just a mental note for the next time I end up there.

• Like 1

My wife and I were downtown last week and decided to have lunch at Rasika.  We had heard a lot about it, and since we both love Indian food, we were happy to give it a try.  We arrived at the restaurant shortly after 11:30 and were able to get seated without a reservation. We tried the onion and sage bread, the Chicken Tikka Masala, Sweet Potato Roast (“red chili/caramelized onion/black pepper”), and Makkai Kofta (“sweet corn/cashew nut/garam masala”).  All four dishes were very good, but the Makkai Kofta was easily our favorite.   

In addition to the food we were pleased with the service.  The chairs were very comfortable, which is important for people our age.  Only one visit, but I would still rate it a bit above the three Indian restaurants we most often visit in Northern Virginia: Raaga, Saravana Palace, and Woodlands.

On 8/17/2017 at 10:03 AM, eatruneat said:

Evergreen comment.

It has probably been about two years since my last visit to Rasika and it'll probably be another two years until my next one. Just a mental note for the next time I end up there.

Dammit. I forgot Rasika has "jumped the shark." The staff members are very lovely people. That said, the house seems to be aging and not well cared for and the food tasted like the Indian stuff I get at the grocery and make for myself when I need a quick Indian fix. Why do people love this place? Bombay Club, OTOH, always delights me. 

Perhaps when it first opened, we all just weren't used to eating so much Indian food and it seemed new, some of the best dishes we have now had, they aren't a surprise and we eat more Indian than we did before and are more open to a few more items on an Indian menu than we were before?  The dining room was shiny new and pretty, it seemed exotic.  But now it just isn't a surprise, the jewel box it first was?  A thought.  I haven't been in years, just reading the above, I kind of thought this.

I'll offer kind of a reverse take -- when Rasika first opened I went a few times and found a lot of the dishes pretty average (my comp was above average neighborhood British Indian/Bengali). Fine but nothing extraordinary. The palak chaat was delightful though. 

Went with my parents about 6 months ago and dinner was wonderful. Fish and lamb curry dishes were rich, perfectly spiced. Service perfect. Palak chaat still delightful. 

• Like 1

I came back to...scale down my review because it was my experience today and last time I went (probably a year or two ago). Both times I had the same impression but others like it. Oddly, last two men I lunched with there both love and are both named Paul. Kev29; is your name Paul? (Kidding, I'm going to assume it's Kevin).

• Like 1

Palak Chaat is going into the list of things to make finally in 2019!

Hahahahaha Rasika got name-checked (or actually, probably a product placement, but that's kind of weird) on Season 2, Episode 1 of Designated Survivor!!  Apparently it's where President Kiefer gets his takeout chicken korma? LOL, that doesn't even sound like something they would have on their menu (I checked, it's not there now).  Note that the episode aired in late September 2017, which is possibly interesting or completely unrelated to the Michelin announcements in October 2017? What can I say,  I've been bingeing on the show and now have conspiracy theories on the brain 😉