Komi or Teatro Goldoni Chef's Table?

no1uno

We loved Laboratorio, and we're seeking something similarly wondrous (that's in DC and isn't Citronelle, CityZen, or the minibar). We'd decided on Komi's degustazioni, but today I ran across the Teatro Goldoni chef's table thread here, and now I'm torn again -- so, my query: if you've done both, which would you recommend more highly? Thanks!

(We don't have lots of money, so we focus on just a few spectacular dinners out a year -- while it was open, Laboratorio pretty much fit that bill: http://lukefisher.com/laboratorio.htm)

In all seriousness, flip a coin.

Komi: long, ranges from austere to decadent, chef is controlled and poised, better wine list (and they allow corkage), polished service, normal restaurant "feel," very composed and symphonic, starting pianissimo and ending fortissimo, you'll leave stuffed and delighted

Teatro: as long as you want it to be, lustier and heavier, chef takes risks, lesser wine list (but they allow corkage), intense interaction with the chef, intimate table right in the kitchen, diner has more control over the flow of the meal, you'll leave stuffed and delighted

If only all decisions were like this one.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Teatro Goldoni's chef's table. For me there is NO comparison-you are served by Enzo himself!!!! It is much more personal, really an entirely different experience. Perhaps very similar in many respects to table #7 at the Lab which was the one closest to Roberto. I say all this absolutely loving Komi. But being served by Enzo puts his experience on another level.

Now if Johnny Monis had a chef's table....

PS: there is a third one to consider-table 21 at Volt.

I agree with Don on the flip a coin. And also agree with his analysis in general.

For my type of eating, the edge would go to Teatro. Mainly because I am easily overwhelmed with food early on in this type of a meal and I found the style and pacing of food at TG better for my appetite then Komi. I also very much enjoyed the entire "chef's table" in the kitchen experience.

If Komi had served me half as much (and that would probably be way to little for others) then I might find the edge going there because I really adored the service and the flavor profiles of the food might be a little more to my liking (although that varies day to day or me). Once again, I was full at Komi before the pasta hit the table so ymmv. And I didn't feel like I was really in control of the pacing of the meal, unlike Rocks.

Really a wonderful dilemma!

Do report back please.

While I generally agree with Rock's assessment, for my money Komi has a little extra weight on its side of the coin (or the other side, some physics major can correct my science later) as I prefer Komi's feel in a way that I wish I could truly quantify and qualify with words. There is just something else there, some indefinable quality that makes me leave there happier.

Recently a friend from San Francisco was visiting DC and asked me to dinner. It was a random Sunday night and she said "I'm taking you to dinner, wherever you'd like to go." Being the over-thinker that I am, I offered five suggestions that fit the mood of our weekend. They were disparate places in their tonality, cuisine, and price point. She asked me to narrow things a bit. I provided a more in depth description of each place than I had in offering my initial choices.

She declared the matter settled. We were going to X place because it "was the one that made you smile the widest." And that is why I vote for Komi - because despite the fact that Teatro makes me smile pretty widely, the Komi smile is just a bit wider.

We loved Laboratorio, and we're seeking something similarly wondrous (that's in DC and isn't Citronelle, CityZen, or the minibar). We'd decided on Komi's degustazioni, but today I ran across the Teatro Goldoni chef's table thread here, and now I'm torn again -- so, my query: if you've done both, which would you recommend more highly? Thanks!

(We don't have lots of money, so we focus on just a few spectacular dinners out a year -- while it was open, Laboratorio pretty much fit that bill: http://lukefisher.com/laboratorio.htm)

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm in a similar situation. Every time my brother and I visit each other, we have a blow-out, month's-rent meal. In the past, these have included the Inn at Little Washington, Minibar, Citronelle, Arzak, Cyrus, and Per Se. I've been wanting to take him to Komi ever since my first (and only) meal there a couple of years ago, but I missed their one-month reservation deadline by a day, and am now on the waiting list. I made a back-up reservation at Cityzen. I never thought of Teatro Goldoni.

Yes, it's a good problem to have, but it's still a problem. I'm vexed.

False dichotomy. If you are in the mood for one, you won't miss the other at all.

I've never dined at the chef's table at Teatro Goldoni, but my one and only dinner experience in the regular dining room was a real disappointment.

Komi, OTOH, has never been less than exceptional on my visits.

You should check out the Goldoni thread. The chef's table, for all intents and purposes, an entirely different place. The regular dining room is not on the screen.
Teatro Goldoni is on my list. But, I have to tell you, TG would have to kick some serious ass to make me swoon more than Komi.

TG kicks some serious ass. But they're two different places. Komi is a worship service; TG is a party. Komi is jazz; TG is rock and roll. Komi is a candle, a bottle of wine and the person you love; Teatro Goldoni is two new friends, a bottle of Old Grandad, and flashbulbs.

It's all good. It just depends on your mood.

I will say that I have a good friend who recently went to Komi and who joined me at Teatro, and who thought everyone at Komi had a stick up their ass. I haven't found that to be the case -- quite the opposite, but I may have been too drunk to care -- but I respect his opinion and suggest that a tiebreaker might be whether one's guest is comfortable among the foodie cultists, or prefers the more gregarious atmosphere of Italians, flourescent light and kitchen noise. I also find that Komi can be unevern at times, and if I never had another cheese-stuffed date (I mean, big fucking deal) I would lose no sleep. For all that, I am eager to return.

On Komi's side, TG's wine list kind of sucks.

I've never dined at the chef's table at Teatro Goldoni, but my one and only dinner experience in the regular dining room was a real disappointment.

Komi, OTOH, has never been less than exceptional on my visits.

Scottee, it is the Chef's Table that is the exceptional dining experience.

Also, nobody else on this thread is mentioning this because they probably haven't been there but there is a THIRD consideration: Volt's Table 21. It has not received the publicity-yet.

Also, nobody else on this thread is mentioning this because they probably haven't been there but there is a THIRD consideration: Volt's Table 21. It has not received the publicity-yet.

There are more than three considerations; you're merely introducing this one as your third, even though it's not part of the original question. Nothing wrong with that, but it somehow implies that there aren't any 4th, 5th, or 6th considerations and that simply isn't true. For now, no1uno asked about Komi versus Teatro Goldoni Chef's Table, and we should stick with comparing and contrasting the two.

Cheers,

Rocks.

There's also the fact that this third choice requires a trip to Frederick. From the OP's request:

We loved Laboratorio, and we're seeking something similarly wondrous (that's in DC and isn't Citronelle, CityZen, or the minibar)

Komi it is then!

11 June -- we're so psyched! Thanks for all the responses!

You may want to consider asking for the table "in the window" and doing the longer prix fixe which, I believe, is $125.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised that you could get in on three weeks notice even for a Thursday night. Luck? The economy? Enjoy!

You may want to consider asking for the table "in the window" and doing the longer prix fixe which, I believe, is $125.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised that you could get in on three weeks notice even for a Thursday night. Luck? The economy? Enjoy!

We got the table "by the window" once and the spinning of the fan above made us so queasy we had to move. And then we ended up at a "bad" table, the 4-top next to the kitchen, which turned out to be great because we sat in the corner with our backs to the wall enjoying a great view of the whole dining room throughout the meal.

Unless they moved the fan/light unit you might not want to consider that spot. I thought I was going to pass out or throw up or both within a minute of sitting under that thing. :D

I'm special too even without allergies :blink: And I asked to be moved and they obliged. Great service! Enjoy!

Wow. Oh. My. Gawd.

We did the full degustazione with the 5 glass wine pairing -- don't know why they call it that, since Kat refills empty glasses promptly, and there were in fact 7 wines.... Altogether, more than 20 different dishes, many just one or two bites, all exquisite and several quite extraordinary. I'd heard so many mentions of the pig that I was briefly disappointed when we received the goat ... but not after the 1st bite ... oh my..... We left stuffed and very very happy. The service matches the food perfectly

I'm poor at descriptions, so I'll just say we finally have our replacement for Laboratorio -- we've been to several of the top-raved restaurants, and most we came out of saying, "that was wonderful" and so on, but Laboratorio, every time, we came out trying to figure out how soon we could return -- and that was how we felt at the end of the evening at Komi: how soon can we come up with $500 for dinner for 2 (w/tip)??? Not soon, alas, but it won't be 6 months either....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

We ended up at one of the tables under the fan at the front, with no ill effects, but next time we'll ask for the table in front of the window to the kitchen, to be able to watch the magic.

(Dang, wish it could be sooner....)

:D