Seasonal fruit picking

goodeats

I am having a hard time navigating through Pickyourown.org and thus, I am appealing to this kind community for help, due to my laziness, admittedly. My friend and I want to take our little ones berry-picking this weekend and I was wondering which one was your favorite and why? Also, I worded it to be general, as if you like a particular farm for another type of picking- or farm-activity, please state so too. Thanks!

I am having a hard time navigating through Pickyourown.org and thus, I am appealing to this kind community for help, due to my laziness, admittedly. My friend and I want to take our little ones berry-picking this weekend and I was wondering which one was your favorite and why? Also, I worded it to be general, as if you like a particular farm for another type of picking- or farm-activity, please state so too. Thanks!

We like Great Country Farms out in Bluemont, VA. Why do we like it? Well, it is free :D (since we are CSA members). This is their last week for Strawberry picking, but we went 2 weeks ago and the strawberries were wonderful. They have many child-friendly activities such as a hayride, a small farm/zoo, playground, and a jumping pillow (similar to a moonbounce).

I've had success at Rock Hill Orchards in MD. http://www.rockhillorchard.com/

Haven't done berry picking yet but I like the hayride up to the apples and pumpkins in the fall.

I've gone several years in a row to Johnson's Berry Farm in Upper Marlboro. They don't have a website, but here is the information:

Johnson's Berry Farm

17000 Swanson Rd

Upper Marlboro, MD 20870

Phone: 301-627-8316

They have a nice solar power system for their processing business, there is a pond with a fountain, and they have lots of ducks and geese to either occupy or frighten bored kids. Her prices are typically much lower than elsewhere too. You have to call to find out when they are open, and the owner is something of a character, but I love this place. The blackberries are the old varieties that have excellent flavor, and if you are lucky enough to hit them in a drought year, your jam will be incredible. Try it with a little port. In the jar that is. Or even in the jam maker. :D

If you live in Montgomery County you can try Farm at Home in Poolsville. Check them out at Farmathome.com

I had fun picking strawberries at Butler's Orchard a couple years ago (their website indicates that strawberries will be ready for harvest 3-4 days from now). One nice thing is that it's fairly close.

According to their site, strawberries have 3-4 days left. I was there over two weeks ago and picking was already past it's peak, at least in the strawberry field we were in.

Blueberries start soon. I've never done it, but have heard it is very easy and quick to pick more then you need.

Poolesville has a couple of pick your own orchards as well, for peaches and nectarines. I don't know if they have any berries though, and also can't remember the name.

According to their site, strawberries have 3-4 days left. I was there over two weeks ago and picking was already past it's peak, at least in the strawberry field we were in.

Blueberries start soon. I've never done it, but have heard it is very easy and quick to pick more then you need.

Poolesville has a couple of pick your own orchards as well, for peaches and nectarines. I don't know if they have any berries though, and also can't remember the name.

Blueberry picking is awesome. I did it for the first time in PA last year and even though I had a baby in the Bjorn and a whiny four year old, I got 12 pounds in about 30 minutes. This year I'm expecting to go back sans kids and get at least 20 pounds in the same amount of time.

I've gone several years in a row to Johnson's Berry Farm in Upper Marlboro. They don't have a website, but here is the information: Johnson's Berry Farm <snip>
FYI, they're not open on Sundays, just Monday-Saturday (maybe not Tues. either, according to the recording).
That's our favorite as well. We drive 20 minutes to Butler's, and then keep driving 20 more minutes to get to Larriland. That much better.
Took DanielK and Pool Boy's advice and took a journey here before the rain came. Gebaby was excited about raspberry picking for oh, about 2 minutes, but stuck around to eat the rewards, of course. Right now, Raspberries are at $4.39/lb and tart cherries are at $2.99/lb (discounts available for over 5lbs). There are tons more cherry pickers than raspberry pickers and we didn't make it over to the blueberry patch either (gebaby declared it was nap time). The raspberry varieties available are Purple, Red and Black. All pretty ripe, but of course, plenty that aren't yet. The cherries look like they needed another week for the prime red color, as even though they are tart cherries, they tasted really tart (thanks to the kind person behind us in line who let gebaby take a handful). I am eager to explore another farm next week for blueberries, though.

Purple raspberry

post-2127-124621338854_thumb.jpg