Mom 'n Pop Italian Places

gnatharobed

Famous Luigi's on 19th between L and M. "Since 1949."

I like Luigi's pizza, too.

I haven't been to Ruffino's (since 1975) in ages. Some of the "Pines of X" (X = Florence, Naples, Italy) restaurants might also fit the bill. You may also want to consider Il Radicchio in Clarendon. Or perhaps even Pulcinella in McLean. Actually, now that I think of it, there are lots of places that fit the bill. The Esposito's in Fairfax, Il Pinito in Rockville, al Sospiro in Olney, etc. Look at the "Multiple Locations" dining guide under Italian as well.

La Piazza in Alexandria. Bucatini all'amatriciana, mmm. (Note that I haven't been there in quite a while so I hope others will correct me if it's gone downhill.) But it's counter service, you order and they deliver to your table, so that may not fit your bill.

And I just checked their website (http://www.lapiazzaoldtown.com/) - the "low-carb sampler" on the menu is a heart attack waiting to happen. I need to go back there.

I do a lot of eating at Mom-n-Pop places in the VA suburbs. By far my fave is Zeffirelli's in Herndon. They bought Da Domenico's in Tysons a few years ago and took the chef to Herndon, but Da Domenico's isn't bad either. They both have incredible veal chops, but the daily specials that come out of Zeffirelli's kitchen are amazing. I also like Rafagino's in Burke, Pane e Vino in Lorton and Dolce Vita in Fairfax. But if you haven't tried Zeffirelli's, then you're missing a minor jewel on the Virginia foodie scene.

I like Luigi's pizza, too.

I haven't been to Ruffino's (since 1975) in ages. Some of the "Pines of X" (X = Florence, Naples, Italy) restaurants might also fit the bill. You may also want to consider Il Radicchio in Clarendon. Or perhaps even Pulcinella in McLean. Actually, now that I think of it, there are lots of places that fit the bill. The Esposito's in Fairfax, Il Pinito in Rockville, al Sospiro in Olney, etc. Look at the "Multiple Locations" dining guide under Italian as well.

The Esposito's is the place to go. This place would have met the grade in Providence back in the day. It's the real deal.

La Piazza in Alexandria. Bucatini all'amatriciana, mmm. (Note that I haven't been there in quite a while so I hope others will correct me if it's gone downhill.) But it's counter service, you order and they deliver to your table, so that may not fit your bill.

And I just checked their website (http://www.lapiazzaoldtown.com/) - the "low-carb sampler" on the menu is a heart attack waiting to happen. I need to go back there.

La Piazza was what came to mind when I saw this thread - and it's still good. Baked penne is good too (I like to have them add meatballs) and all the entrees include a nice, simple salad and garlic bread.

Looking for an old school, mom 'n pop Italian-American type place. Good chicken parmigiana, spaghetti, etc. Thanks!

On Wednesday, a friend of mine and I ate at Ruffino's on Lee Highway and it certainly meets the criterion of being a basic Italian place, something most exemplified by the various Pines restaurants in the area. I had gnocchi with alfred sauce and friend had veal scallopini. It isn't Tosca or Palena by any means but it was filling, tasty enough, and cheap.