Sunday Dinner (or Saturday Lunch)

Choirgirl21

A fellow foodie friend is coming into town the first weekend of April and I've been thinking about where we should eat, but in doing so, I realized that I think I'm out of touch with the DC restaurant scene a tad as I've been eating out in Baltimore these days. And unfortunately, he will probably arrive too late on Friday for us to get into the city and Saturday evening we have a get together in Baltimore so that leaves Sunday as the only evening we can do dinner (unless we do lunch on Saturday). PS 7's is one of my favorite DC places, but I already know they're closed on Sundays. I used to really love Mendocino as well, but I'm not up for going to Georgetown. The other place that instantly crossed my mind is Central. I know the reviews on here are mixed, but I've always had consistently good meals there whether in the bar or dining room. However, I haven't been since the chef changed so I have no idea what I'd think of it now.

If you could only introduce your friend to one place, where would you go? Price isn't a huge factor although places like Restaurant Eve and Komi are too much (Source's dining room would also be out for that reason I think), but entrees up to $30 (as long as the bulk don't hang out up there) are fine. Consistently good food is key, nice wine selection (with some reasonably priced at least), good service is a plus. Something that "says" DC, that's indicative of the food scene here in some way (one reason I would like Central, since Michel Richard established himself as a top DC chef long ago) if that makes sense?

Thanks!

Oops, totally forgot for a minute, we're going to see a show at the 9:30 club Monday night. I'm not sure I want to do the drawn out, multi-course expensive meal beforehand, but I would love suggestions for places in the area to eat and have a glass or two of wine or beer before heading to the show. I usually do Dukem, just b/c there's no good Ethiopian out here in the classy suburb of Laurel, but I'd like to try something different. The only place I can think of is Bar Pilar - not sure if it's still got a good reputation, but I've never been. Thanks again.

Proof and Vidalia both come to mind, based on your criteria, and both are open Sunday nights (but neither for Saturday lunch).

Sou'Wester is open for lunch and dinner daily and might be a fun option too.

ETA: First weekend of April is Easter (April 4th), which could throw a big wrench into any Sunday dining plans.

if it's a nice day, you can sit outside at Poste in their courtyard. The food is fantastic, it's Chinatown location is cental and you're in a historic building (old Post office) converted into a supposedly haunted hotel (The Monteleone)... what could be better?

If you really like Mendicino you could try Sonoma instead? Very similar, but not in Georgetown. I like the squid with black risotto and the cheese and charcuterie boards.

For before the show you could try Vinoteca?

I still really like Central though it is where I take a lot of out of towners. I just went a week or two ago and it was as good as ever. I would also consider Proof.

I misread the post and thought they were talking about Sunday night for the show. My bad. Bar Pilar is a great option. Vinoteca has disappointed me three times, but it's been a while since my last visit.

I'd second Bar Pilar. It's a shame Cork is closed, though. Funnily enough, when I lived near there I always found myself wandering over on a Monday: "Oh, shoot! Why can't I remember this?" ;)

I second Vidalia. It just fit the bill for my visiting foodie, and its style really is unique to this area. Not saying the other recommdations aren't good--great--restaurants. Just that you can't really find a Vidalia too many other places in this great land of ours.

Living a block away from the 9.30, i'd have to say that the food in these parts aint all that great. I dont get out that much, working nights like i do but,that being said, in my opinion bar pilar still stands above the other places round bout the 'hood. vinoteca is just meh to me (and closed mondays), as is cork. you could try birchkey (i never remember which one is which but i figure everyone knows what i'm talking bout, right?) but seeing as you'll be pack't in like a tin of sardines at the show, dont know if you want to warm yourself up for that by doing the same at supper. ironically enough, dukem is my go to local too, after pilar...

for whats it worth, i cant think of a better place to dine than vidalia on a sunday nite.

just my 2 cents.

ps: BRMC ******* kick it live!

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I've been to Vinoteca once and I have to say I was not impressed. Sounds like others are in agreement so I'll kick that one off of the list. I loved my meal at Cork and didn't realize it was near 9:30 so I got super excited until someone said it's closed on Mondays. Boohoo. :P I'm happy to finally try Bar Pilar though since the opinions still seem to be high so maybe we'll plan for that if we're up for it, otherwise if we want cheap and good we'll just go to Dukem.

Glad to hear the Vidalia recommendations. I went for my birthday during restaurant week once and it was a mixed bag. I need to give it another shot. I'll add that to the short list along with Proof and Central. I also like the idea of Zatinya or Poste outside if the weather is good - that might work better with our plans to just wander around anyway and we could pop in mid-afternoon when places might be less busy. But the praise for Vidalia has me leaning that way too...have to discuss with my friend and see what will work best.

ps: BRMC ******* kick it live!

Another BRMC fan?! I have such a hard time getting people to go with me so I usually go alone. I don't think I've missed one of their concerts here and I even saw them at Ramshead Live in Baltimore when they opened for Kings of Leon. Probably could have skipped that one, not a big KOL fan at all, but I was set on my BF at the time seeing them live. ;)

I just came across another idea - Dickson Wine Bar. Apparently it just opened in March, but the yelp reviews are really promising. Has anyone been? I posted in the dining thread too, but so far only one post from the soft open. I'm torn now, I think I might have to check this place out since Bar Pilar isn't going anywhere. The wines are all organic/biodynamic - hard for me to pass that up!

I just came across another idea - Dickson Wine Bar. Apparently it just opened in March, but the yelp reviews are really promising. Has anyone been? I posted in the dining thread too, but so far only one post from the soft open. I'm torn now, I think I might have to check this place out since Bar Pilar isn't going anywhere. The wines are all organic/biodynamic - hard for me to pass that up!

you'll eat well at pilar. trust me. just had a phenomnal meal there tuesday; who'da thunk you could get sweetbreads with preserved lemon or headcheese or POPEYE"S (mean this will all seriousness; if i or my southern gramma could make a biscuit half as good, i wouldnt still be behind the stove) worthy fried chicken and biscuit at a place like pilar?

beat the devil's tattoo!